Plug-in Layouts - Sonar - VS - BLCakewalk

Max Arwood

Yes, they have the same layout.

Even better, if you’re using multiple Cakewalk products, you might want to only keep one set of plugin menu layouts. As for me, I have one master folder and then I’ve created symbolic links from the other application locations. More specifically, I have CbB as my master at %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts. I’ve then added symbolic links named “Plug-in Menu Layouts” from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Sonar\ and %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\SONAR Platinum\, targeting the same master folder. It works very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I almost set up a symbolic link to one set of plug-in layouts last night. I wasn’t sure the format was the same. I was looking for a plug-in I had just set up in the layouts and couldn’t find it. It dawned on me that I set it up in cakewalk not sonar. I certainly don’t want to have to add them 2 times. I set up one for 😄 samples to look in E:\samples (libraries and convolution files) for the same reason. Now if I could remember how I did that! 

Thanks,

Max

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

Now if I could remember how I did that! 

These are the steps I would recommend:

1. Make sure the latest versions of all your plug-in menu layouts are in your planned target folder.
  2. Take a copy of your source plugin folders, as they will have to be deleted.
  3. Delete your source Plug-in Menu Layouts folders.
  4. Open a command window.
  5. Having e.g. Sonar as source/slave and CbB as target/master; write:
    mklink /j "%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Sonar\Plug-in Menu Layouts" "%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts"
  6. Of course, if you also would like to do the same for, say, SONAR Platinum, you’d run this command one more time with the first path changed to
    %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\SONAR Platinum\Plug-in Menu Layouts

The beauty of this solution is that you can then update your plug-in menu layouts from any of these Cakewalk applications, and the files in the master folder will be updated, and thus be immediately accessible to all your Cakewalk apps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I decided I want to move them both to my custom directory where I have track templates, plug-in presets, FX-chains and articulation maps. 
so->
d:\templates\Plug-in Menu Layouts

I want both sonar and cakewalk to look here. Can you help me with the mklink syntax for these?

Thanks again!

Max

8 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

Can you help me with the mklink syntax for these?

Sure. The steps 1–4 above will be the same. Then, in the Command window, for Sonar you write:

mklink /j "%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Sonar\Plug-in Menu Layouts" "D:\Templates\Plug-in Menu Layouts"   [Enter]

After hopefully getting a confirmation that everything went well, for CbB you write:

mklink /j "%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts" "D:\Templates\Plug-in Menu Layouts"   [Enter]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Canopus. I decided to use the easy way. I just used the setup in both to point to “my” layout folder. I did use this technic to move some sample libraries to an SSD! Tricking the programs worked great! Thanks for that!

• Like 1