Time for a new PC build

With my current system being 12 years old and the release of a new Sonar, it's time to start a new PC build. As with all of my previous builds I start with the motherboard. I have had zero issues with ASUS boards so that is what I'm looking at. Everything seems to be geared toward "gaming" these days. Does it matter when building a DAW?

Looking at ASUS ATX boards with Intel chipsets, is there anything to look for or avoid when choosing?

There's a bug in 13 & 14 gen intel i7 & i9 processors. Intel is supposed to release a fix in a few days. I have an i7, but my system has been stable. If you're thinking about either of those processors hold off for a few weeks.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/07/intel-has-finally-tracked-down-the-problem-making-13th-and-14th-gen-cpus-crash/

Edited by rsinger

I've built scores of machines using 13th and 14th Gen CPUs.

If you know how to configure them... they're certainly not a problem.

Especially if you're talking about the i9 13900k or 14900k, they're not what I'd call a "novice-build".

If you just set everything to "Auto" and set memory to XMP Profile 1/2, you're going to have a machine that thermal-throttles under heavy loads... and will most likely be unstable (especially if using faster DDR5).

Proper BIOS configuration will prevent thermal-throttling, instability, and potentially damaging the CPU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I've built scores of machines using 13th and 14th Gen CPUs.

If you know how to configure them... they're certainly not a problem.

That's good to know. I got my system from you last month and it's running fine.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2024 at 1:37 PM, MisterGreen said:

With my current system being 12 years old and the release of a new Sonar, it's time to start a new PC build.

The kinda ironic thing is that NuSonar now runs more efficiently on the same hardware than SONAR or Cakewalk by BandLab did, so the system requirements are lower than they were 6 years ago.