Physical Audio launches Preparation 2

satya

https://physicalaudio.co.uk/products/preparation-2/

Physical Audio has announced a new version of physical modeling synthesizer that simulates the interactions of strings and bars colliding with objects, in the spirit of prepared piano.

Preparation 2 features

2 physically modeled strings or bars collide with a rattle and dynamic fret.

Excite the strings using Pluck, Bow or Audio (sidechain input).

Set string/bar properties: Sustain, Tone, Inharmonicity, Gain, Pan, Non-Linearity/Tuning.

Deep customization of fret and rattle (Position, Gap, Mass, Stiffness, Edge…)

Effects suite featuring EQ, compressor, tremolo, phaser, VCF, wah, distortion, drive, fuzz, delay and reverb.

2 LFOs to modulate rattle/fret properties or effects controls.

Keyboard and Velocity modulation for string and rattle properties.

Detailed pluck designer to set range and low/high sensitivity.

MIDI CC and integrations, MPE functionality for pluck and bow force, position and glide.

Attack/Boost/Release controls shape the sound’s level through time.

160+ Presets plus control randomization.

Available for Windows and Mac in VST3, AU and AAX plugin formats, Preparation 2 is on sale for the intro price of £48 GBP / 48 EUR +VAT / $59 USD. The regular price will be £79 GBP / 80 EUR +VAT / $99 USD.

• Like 1

"Owners of the original Preparation v1.x can upgrade to Preparation 2 with a 50% off voucher. Please email support21@physicalaudio.co.uk to claim your voucher code to use at the checkout."

Hope this is off the sale price and not the full one…

59 minutes ago, jngnz said:

It is. Just upgraded for 30 bucks. Hope it’s more usable and musical than v1.

Once you've had a chance to play with it, let us know your thoughts.

13 hours ago, antler said:

Once you've had a chance to play with it, let us know your thoughts.

Played around with this for 2 hours now.

It's IMO the first physical modeling synth that can sound like you invented a new instrument that could actually exist in real life. I was having a lot of fun tweaking some patches and got sounds anywhere from something that sounded like a guitar mixed with a piano to imaginary keys instruments between organ and... something, as well as imaginary "world" instruments with decently realistic timbre.

What this is NOT is a realistic emulation of existing instruments. There are patches called "Cello", "String Section" and "Oud" but they sound more kind of close than an exact emulation. I was having more fun layering them in unusual ways, e.g. the Cello beneath a fuzzy baritone guitar and the Oud alongside some piano. With MPE especially , this can give some life to sample libraries or synths that need it and I'm very much looking forward to layering this with brass, synths or maybe even string instruments.

Also, like the guy's other releases, but even more so, it excels at otherworldly noisy stuff and oddball percussion hits, but unlike the others, it is very versatile and I can see myself frequently using this in a melodic context as opposed to just a sound design tool.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jngnz said:

It's IMO the first physical modeling synth that can sound like you invented a new instrument that could actually exist in real life. I was having a lot of fun tweaking some patches and got sounds anywhere from something that sounded like a guitar mixed with a piano to imaginary keys instruments between organ and... something, as well as imaginary "world" instruments with decently realistic timbre.

What this is NOT is a realistic emulation of existing instruments. There are patches called "Cello", "String Section" and "Oud" but they sound more kind of close than an exact emulation. I was having more fun layering them in unusual ways, e.g. the Cello beneath a fuzzy baritone guitar and the Oud alongside some piano. With MPE especially , this can give some life to sample libraries or synths that need it and I'm very much looking forward to layering this with brass, synths or maybe even string instruments.

Also, like the guy's other releases, but even more so, it excels at otherworldly noisy stuff and oddball percussion hits, but unlike the others, it is very versatile and I can see myself frequently using this in a melodic context as opposed to just a sound design tool.

Thanks. I decided to try the demo and came to the same conclusion. For someone looking for real world string instruments, SWAM is a much better (and pricier) way to go. But Preparation 2 isn't trying to cover that area, and it's possible to make some really interesting tones from this.

I remember giving Modus a try a while back. It seems like a really cool concept but decided to pass as I couldn't think of a context in which I'd be using it (musically). If you have it, have you found any practical uses for it? Just wondering whether I was lacking imagination when I trialled it and should consider adding it to my BF/maybe-one-day shopping list.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jngnz said:

Have you had a chance to try the sidechaining yet? Using an audio source to excite Prep 2 looks like it could offer some really interesting results.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Maar said:

Have you had a chance to try the sidechaining yet? Using an audio source to excite Prep 2 looks like it could offer some really interesting results.

*****. I had no idea it could do this. Had to try it immediately and it’s amazing. Brings a whole new dimension into the layering with other instruments aspect. Don’t even need to use MPE to make it feel like it’s alive and breathing.

Thanks gor making me aware, not sure I would have ever found out about this otherwise!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jngnz said:

*****. I had no idea it could do this. Had to try it immediately and it’s amazing. Brings a whole new dimension into the layering with other instruments aspect. Don’t even need to use MPE to make it feel like it’s alive and breathing.

Thanks gor making me aware, not sure I would have ever found out about this otherwise!

That was the feature that got me to pull out my digital wallet and buy a license! I'm a big fan of AAS's Chromaphone and wanted to see what Prep 2 could offer.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 11:23 AM, jngnz said:

Physical Audio just added this YT video on sidechaining audio.

• Like 1