No audio from MIDI file

Edward Allen

Question

Hi

Warning: Utter MIDI newbie questions incoming!

So I've just recorded a simple MIDI file direct from my Alesis Strata Prime electronic drum kit, and at first glance it looks ok within Cakewalk

image.thumb.png.fb56eff24b8a365572e98b20dc131ac4.png

But I cannot seem to get any sound to come out of my regular computer speakers (which typically wok just fine with Cakewalk)

Are there certain basic things I need to do get sound from within settings perhaps:

Is there a specific driver I need be using for MIDI etc.?

Do I need to save the file in a MIDI format now OR can I just save as a regular ol' normal Cakewalk file?

Any  pointers to get me rolling would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance

Ed.

3 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, Edward Allen said:

Hi

Warning: Utter MIDI newbie questions incoming!

So I've just recorded a simple MIDI file direct from my Alesis Strata Prime electronic drum kit, and at first glance it looks ok within Cakewalk

image.thumb.png.fb56eff24b8a365572e98b20dc131ac4.png

But I cannot seem to get any sound to come out of my regular computer speakers (which typically wok just fine with Cakewalk)

Are there certain basic things I need to do get sound from within settings perhaps:

Is there a specific driver I need be using for MIDI etc.?

Do I need to save the file in a MIDI format now OR can I just save as a regular ol' normal Cakewalk file?

Any  pointers to get me rolling would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance

Ed.

MIDI is data, instructions that tell sound-making devices (for example hardware synths / samplers and software synths / samplers, etc.) what sounds to make and manipulate.  Are you directing the MIDI data to any sound-making devices? 

But I cannot seem to get any sound to come out of my regular computer speakers (which typically work just fine with Cakewalk) [emphasis added]

What are you doing differently from what typically works just fine with Cakewalk?

Edited by User905133
To add a second newbie request for more information
  • Like 1