How to test your soundcard for best driver configuration in Cakewalk

Can someone provide instruction on the best way to test my laptop's soundcard for optimal configuration in Cakewalk? Currently, my soundcard provides output for other software, but is not being heard upon initiating sound MIDI or Playhead beats in Cakewalk. 

Thanks for all feedback! 

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not what you want to hear, but if you're at all serious about recording/mixing, you really should use a dedicated audio interface that has a proper ASIO driver.

You'll achieve significantly lower round-trip latency... and the driver will be much more robust.

If you want the DAW to be rock-solid, this is the solution.

• Like 3

On 8/22/2024 at 5:54 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

Probably not what you want to hear, but if you're at all serious about recording/mixing, you really should use a dedicated audio interface that has a proper ASIO driver.

You'll achieve significantly lower round-trip latency... and the driver will be much more robust.

If you want the DAW to be rock-solid, this is the solution.

There is this trend among younger users who think this is a myth or people who spend a lot of money on PC components and that onboard sound is sufficient. I never understood who that came about.  I use onboard for system sounds and interface for DAWs.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 8/29/2024 at 12:40 PM, kitekrazy1 said:

There is this trend among younger users who think this is a myth or people who spend a lot of money on PC components and that onboard sound is sufficient. I never understood who that came about.

Maybe through empirical observation?

The built-in hardware CODEC in my laptop works great for monitoring and playing virtual instruments using WASAPI Exclusive.

Realtek haven't been asleep for the past 20 years, the PC component market is driven by gamers who also want to have the clearest audio at the lowest latency possible.

Are musicians are the only computer users who care about latency and audio quality? Not even. A lot more game software is sold than DAW software, and the people buying those games won't put up with laggy, gappy, crackly, noisy audio. A lot of gaming is done with the user wearing headphones, which are even more revealing of audio flaws.

It's when someone wants to record audio that they'll find that they need an external interface with decent preamps, phantom power, etc. If they're building songs out of samples, loops, and virtual instruments, I don't know that the audio advantage of an external audio interface is going to outweigh the fact that you probably won't be able to take it with you to the coffee shop.

The external interface with its own ASIO driver is still the ante for being able to capture audio, to be sure. People who want to have the very best as far as jitter and DAC quality should still invest in an external interface. But it's not a requirement for all audio production tasks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Maybe through empirical observation?

The built-in hardware CODEC in my laptop works great for monitoring and playing virtual instruments using WASAPI Exclusive.

Realtek haven't been asleep for the past 20 years, the PC component market is driven by gamers who also want to have the clearest audio at the lowest latency possible.

Are musicians are the only computer users who care about latency and audio quality? Not even. A lot more game software is sold than DAW software, and the people buying those games won't put up with laggy, gappy, crackly, noisy audio. A lot of gaming is done with the user wearing headphones, which are even more revealing of audio flaws.

It's when someone wants to record audio that they'll find that they need an external interface with decent preamps, phantom power, etc. If they're building songs out of samples, loops, and virtual instruments, I don't know that the audio advantage of an external audio interface is going to outweigh the fact that you probably won't be able to take it with you to the coffee shop.

The external interface with its own ASIO driver is still the ante for being able to capture audio, to be sure. People who want to have the very best as far as jitter and DAC quality should still invest in an external interface. But it's not a requirement for all audio production tasks.

Never had that issue. I've never heard gamers even discuss it. 

The belief is you can outspend on Pc components never needing an audio interface.  

Edited by kitekrazy1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, kitekrazy1 said:

The belief is you can outspend on Pc components never needing an audio interface.  

weird, someone hereabouts just spent 3k+ on a video card to make the second monitor compatible 🤷‍♀️

9 hours ago, kitekrazy1 said:

Never had that issue. I've never heard gamers even discuss it.

I don't understand that last sentence.

Gamers discuss audio when they are having problems with it, just like audio people. Motherboards aimed at gamers tout how they use fancy "audio grade" capacitors made by Nichicon (which is indeed a superior brand of cap) in the audio section. The motherboard on my own main gaming/DAW rig has a big thick aluminum shield over the audio section to keep out interference from the other components. And unlike my PreSonus Studio 2|4, it has enough outputs to do 7.1 mixing if I wanted to.

From the ad blurb: "Realtek ALC1150 115dB SNR HD audio with built-in Rear Audio Amplifier."

Also :

• Independent Right and Left Audio Channel PCB Layers
  • High end Nichicon audio capacitors
  • LED lighting for the audio guard light path and the back panel LED

I just bought a game the other day that has a popup screen saying that I should use headphones when playing it because it uses audio in a special way to enhance its gaming experience.

It's important to gamers, but as pwal said, it tends to just work.

Edited by Starship Krupa