EastWest : Gipsy / RA / Silk Bundle : $134.98 (77% OFF)

stony

• stony changed the title to EastWest : Gipsy / RA / Silk Bundle : $149 (75% OFF)

I've read comments saying Ra+Silk are a little lower in quality than Best Service Ethno World and I'm having a hard time grasping how that's even possible in theory because Ethno World is so unbelievably bad already.

• Haha 1

The deal's not entirely exclusive to AD (though you wouldn't get the coupon/freebie) -- but if you happen to have a bunch of BestCoins lying around:

https://www.bestservice.com/en/gypsy_ra_silk_bundle.html

I'm tempted, as I used Ra/Silk a fair bit when I subscribed to CC a while back.

I'd be more tempted if I could pass along the extra Gypsy license, since I already bought that in the interim. But EW usually frowns on that sort of thing.

• Like 1

• stony changed the title to EastWest : Gipsy / RA / Silk Bundle : $134.98 (77% OFF)
6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

You really need a strong computer to run East-West stuff.  I install some of their stuff a while back when my computer was in it's prime and their stuff lagged the hell out of my machine.

Are you talking about Opus or Play? I don't think Opus is bad. I just did a quick test. (I don't know what's going on with SINE Player.)

ProjectBay.png.2999389ff3ea32ff5f11e8e132632845.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jngnz said:

I've read comments saying Ra+Silk are a little lower in quality than Best Service Ethno World and I'm having a hard time grasping how that's even possible in theory because Ethno World is so unbelievably bad already.

Silk and Gypsy have true legato for some instruments, whereas Ethno World only has scripted legato. Additionally, I think the EW products have multiple mic positions, whereas Ethno World doesn't. Ra is definitely the shallowest in terms in sampling, since it's from 2009. 

Take that how you will. Maybe they're lower quality despite having deeper sampling. I haven't used them so I can't say. 

However, I don't think Ethno World is that bad. They went for quantity over quality - if you think of it like a big collection of character instruments, it's kind of nice to have around. I've gotten some really good sounds from it, even if the instruments aren't good enough to do detailed extensive work with. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jngnz said:

Have both - agree they aren't really comparable. I think Ethno World's strengths are the Vocals. Just a huge selection of global vocal styles / phrases. I rarely ever reach for the Ethno World instruments - they are very difficult to get working realistically -  but I have used Silk & Ra extensively with great results. Although RA is veeeery dated imo, and the recordings aren't as good as more recent world instrument from other devs that feature the some of the same instruments. 

This is tempting, since I run Composer Cloud but own RA and would like to start purchasing some stand alone libraries. But the cost is identical to a year subscription via JRR Shop (with GROUP discount), and my subscription renews next month. Hmm. Hmm.

Edited by Carl Ewing

On 8/5/2024 at 1:40 PM, Zolton said:

The deal's not entirely exclusive to AD (though you wouldn't get the coupon/freebie) -- but if you happen to have a bunch of BestCoins lying around:

https://www.bestservice.com/en/gypsy_ra_silk_bundle.html

I'm tempted, as I used Ra/Silk a fair bit when I subscribed to CC a while back.

I'd be more tempted if I could pass along the extra Gypsy license, since I already bought that in the interim. But EW usually frowns on that sort of thing.

With the BEST10SAVE coupon this is now $139, minus  any BestCoins you may have. This might be cheaper than the $135 from AudioDeluxe, depending on how many store credits you have. I'm surprised JRR doesn't have this bundled deal.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fret_man said:

With the BEST10SAVE coupon this is now $139, minus  any BestCoins you may have. This might be cheaper than the $135 from AudioDeluxe, depending on how many store credits you have. I'm surprised JRR doesn't have this bundled deal.

Yeah, Uncle E/JRR said elsewhere -- on KVR, I think -- that it was an exclusive deal for the two shops that have it, but didn't elaborate.

Between the second bundle that's popped up and learning the goods are delivered with a single serial -- so no chance of even asking if something can be done with an "extra" license -- I've decided personally to let this one pass by.

The multiple (new?) bundles are encouraging that EW may one day expand the lineup, though, and be a bit more flexible. I'd almost certainly bite on a Ra/Silk combo for $99, or a couple bucks less with a coupon. But somehow, an extraneous redundant Gypsy license for another ~$35-40 moves it from "highly desirable" to "hard pass" for me.

• Like 1