Question on Copyright Submittal

I have rough home mixes of the songs that will be included on an album that are just fairly ok. I have some studio tracks and will be going back in the studio (when I have more money) to have the remaining tracks re-recorded then full album mixed and mastered.

While I put the funding together, can I send the album in to the copyright office and will that copyright carry over to the songs once I have the final, professionally done, masters? Or do I need to have the final product done before copyright?

The songs will be essentially unchanged just much better recording and final mixing.

Edited by Russell

Sound Recording would typically be the mastered versions. Using the SR form you could register up to 10 titles as a 'Group Unpublished Works' & claim the underlying music as well as the recorded material..you pay the fee, upload the files ( wav, flac) & when its registered they'll send you the certificate. This saves you a bit $, one filing for both..

You could also file using the PA form for the underlying music only, then an SR when the masters are finished. 2 separate filings. This way If you release a remaster or different mix versions you still have claim to copyrighted music (PA) The you'd  file an SR for the new recordings.

Depends on your situation, published artist or hobbyist.

You can do this online & register at the eCO.

https://eservice.eco.loc.gov/

• Like 1