Midi Tempo drumming problem. Do I import, export OR copy & Paste

Roy Slough

Question

Can someone help me remove the cloud on confusion I have about midi Notes in Clips and what happens when I copy/paste them vs importing them. (see explanation below)

I have a song which I was informed was 65 BPM - So I set this as the tempo imported the tracks Aligned with the beat  and hooray all the verses and Chorus aligned with the start of a bar. So I created markers for all the beginnings of verses etc..
I then went looking through my "library" of drum patterns for a decent beat and possibly some drum fills.
All my patterns sounded very ploddy at 65bpm but great at 130bpm (i.e. double)  so mathematically it just means playing the drums at twice the speed.
Every time I try to copy & paste the drums and/or import them they go at 65bpm (which is the defined tempo of the song)
If I change the tempo of the song to 130bpm all the other midi I have now plays at double the speed...
I have no trouble editing at 65bpm as it just means notes are 16ths instead of 8ths (although that is the mathematician speaking in me not the musician)

Is there any easy way to take one of my drum midi patterns, cut/paste into 65bpm song but achieve it at double the speed. I am happy to alter the tempo at any point just so that it arrives playing at a decent speed..  Not sure If I could use export and import to achieve better results than copy & paste.
N.B. My drum patterns are stored in another CbB project. 

Thanks

5 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, Roy Slough said:

Can someone help me remove the cloud on confusion I have about midi Notes in Clips and what happens when I copy/paste them vs importing them. (see explanation below)

I have a song which I was informed was 65 BPM - So I set this as the tempo imported the tracks Aligned with the beat  and hooray all the verses and Chorus aligned with the start of a bar. So I created markers for all the beginnings of verses etc..
I then went looking through my "library" of drum patterns for a decent beat and possibly some drum fills.
All my patterns sounded very ploddy at 65bpm but great at 130bpm (i.e. double)  so mathematically it just means playing the drums at twice the speed.
Every time I try to copy & paste the drums and/or import them they go at 65bpm (which is the defined tempo of the song)
If I change the tempo of the song to 130bpm all the other midi I have now plays at double the speed...
I have no trouble editing at 65bpm as it just means notes are 16ths instead of 8ths (although that is the mathematician speaking in me not the musician)

Is there any easy way to take one of my drum midi patterns, cut/paste into 65bpm song but achieve it at double the speed. I am happy to alter the tempo at any point just so that it arrives playing at a decent speed..  Not sure If I could use export and import to achieve better results than copy & paste.
N.B. My drum patterns are stored in another CbB project. 

Thanks

Under Track Inspector (By pressing the letter "I" on your keyboard) go to the Clip Properties>Groove Clips untick Enable Stretch. 

15 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

you might try to compress the duration of the clip to 50%?

Thanks Glenn, That worked for me. I will have to look around for some video tutorials on Midi editing.  It is quite the dark art for me.
e.g. If I return to edit some cymbals in a verse part CbB often creates a separate clip behind the original, If I notice this I can bounce them together, If I don't notice should I copy the verse part elsewhere I don't get the new cymbals. Also the new clip may extend beyond the boundaries of the original verse clip, very confusing.
I have checked and they are not "takes" the only way I know they are there is when I select the clip it becomes highlighted 

15 hours ago, Will. said:

Under Track Inspector (By pressing the letter "I" on your keyboard) go to the Clip Properties>Groove Clips untick Enable Stretch. 

Thanks will, I cannot see Enable Stretch, What I see is  Screenshot2024-07-25100545.png.a3056f73bcae81d8cc923e1b728adc45.png

I do not know what many of these functions will achieve, but then I haven't investigated groove clip feature , Another to add to my list of things to look at.

Thanks again