MIDI Instrument Patch Names

Greg P

Question

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum, first post, I hope this is not a totally dumb question already covered elsewhere (?).

I've been using Cakewalk Pro 9 with Virtual Sound Canvass for a long time but got a new laptop and upgraded to Cakewalk by Bandlab (with no TTS-1). I have installed VSTSynthfont64, it works fine, but I am looking for a simple and easy way to edit the instrument patch names so they look like I had in the old Cakewalk  i.e. the patch is shown as the patch number plus the instrument name and not just the patch number as below:

image.png.36cdc7e16ff3d2cfec74215686a6dc7c.png

This is what the old Cakewalk looks like and I'd like to edit CbB so the patch names look the same:

image.png.25c4f055446310676d4a9511c59ece2f.png

I'd also like to set up Channel 10 so that the track view looks like the screenshot below from my old Cakewalk install i.e. the notes are mapped to drum sounds (kick, snare etc.) and the track view shows each note as a small diamond instead of a piano roll like the other channels:

image.png.ad2994eb551987e0a8bc9a20aa94871e.png

Help greatly appreciated!

6 answers to this question

A lot has changed and I’ll try and PM you a link so you can get the TTS-1 back later today. 
This is my tutorial playlist that would be worth your time to watch and get up to speed on Cakewalks layout 

• Thanks 1

Dear Greg,

John is much more experienced than I so follow his lead wherever possible. I thought I would show you something I came across when trying to control Ample Guitars in Strum Mode.
If you right click in the Piano roll you can select different names for the notes. (see ScreenShot) 
I personally used this to create my own map of notes to control the strum mode of the Ample Sound Guitar (the free acoustic) See next screenshot.

I hope this helps, there may even be a standard list you can import/use  for your synth but it is one way to show more useful names than just a keyboard.

P.S, I also use the drum map utility to split my midi drums to seperate Si-drum synths and when I do this the midi window shows the drum mapped names. 
Maybe you know all this having experience from Pro9. there is a useful You Tube video from Mike at Creative sauce if it interest you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIquUl-7NfE

CbB Note assignment.png

CbB Define Note Names.png

• Thanks 1

note: you can use articulation maps for creating the patterns in instruments which support keyswitches (or expression maps - you can import those from another DAW).  a screenshot of articulation map (paid product) from Art Conductor for Cakewalk

image.thumb.png.72adcd2cbac3e2e464cf199a1a2b6a5c.png

• Thanks 1

I've just realized that I don't know how to reply to the answers you all provided: I'll stick a reply in here just to say thanks for the help, I will go through the suggested viewing. Cheers

First you have to determine that your VST actually responds to MIDI parch change Events - otherwise there is very little point in even using them.  Usually the VSTi itself supplies this list of patch names.

As far as the note notes are concerned, you can right click in the left keyboard in the Piano Roll View to load a custom note name assignment. 

The options that appear there can be edited in the Master.ins file under the ".Note Names" entry therein.