Audio Mixer with USB port

mgustavo

Hi, I've been using an audio mixer connected to a Behringer UM2 interface, so I can do simple recordings with CbB, as well as send computer sounds to the mixer via 2 Track Return (this helps me to record overdubs, as the 2 Track Return audio won't go to main output).

However I bought a new audio mixer to increase the XLR channels, and I saw it's USB port works as an audio interface. The only problem is that it's not ASIO, and it only works with MME on CbB, which seems is not a low latency driver.

However if I use my Behringer UM2, which has an ASIO driver, it will ocupy 1 stereo channel in the mixer, which is only 8 channels (4 XLRs and 2 stereo TRS).
On the other side, new mixer's USB port works like this 2 Track Return system, and let me use it's 2 stereo tracks.

So I'd like to ask if it would do much difference between the MME driver and this entry level interface with ASIO?
Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)

Hi Glenn, thanks for the response! I believe it's not class compliant, as I did a brief search on the internet, and didn't find this information.
I remember trying WASAPI mode but it started playing with my notebook onboard audio.

Also I read on the internet that UM2 preamp is XENYX, and better Behringer interfaces have MIDAS preamp. I was a bit worried about losing quality with mixer's USB communication with the computer, but maybe it's similar.

Edited by mgustavo

What is the mixer? 
If you don’t have ASIO drivers then overdubs will be out of sync. Only ASIO can calculate your RTL and your DAW will use that to adjust the offset. 
If you don’t overdub audio then it doesn’t matter but still a USB interface should support at least WASAPI mode. If it doesn’t get rid of it.  
Lots of mixers come with good ASIO drivers. 
Zoom, Yamaha, Soundcraft etc. 

But good pre amps should always be top of the list. Many budget mixers use lower quality pre Amps. 

Posted (edited)

Hi, John, thanks for the reply!
The mixer is a Waldman (brazilian pro audio manufacturer), CPP series. It seems is a legacy model, but I believe is more modern than my Phonic AM series (both are entry level).

I did a brief test recording in overdub on CbB and didn't notice latency, but when editing a song on Musescore I noticed latency on midi reproduction, so I'm connecting it on my MU2 interface, simply substituting the Phonic mixer.

I tried to compare its specifications with a Xenyx model I saw on internet, and they look similar. Also it has a good sound, but I'll try to contact the manufacturer to get more information.

Edited by mgustavo