UAD Tuesdays - ATR-102 for $39 - Now Native

cclarry

11 minutes ago, Skijumptoes said:

It's really enjoyable to use and great if you want to add a flavour of room to a mix or group of instruments, I love what it does.

However, i've not really found a genuine use for it yet, but i've not done a full production since owning it.  It's certainly not subtle! :)

Set it to reverb mode and it can be as subtle as you want it to be. Depends if you actually want to re-mic something (and that happens to work with the material) or give the illusion of a shared space to different tracks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MusicMan said:

The thing I've learnt with UA, is it pretty much never pays to buy early..

It's what you achieve with them where the value is.  Those who were using UA tools many years have paid through the nose versus what we can pick up today for $30.

As prices come down, these tools become a base level to what most users own and UAD finds itself in most people's toolkit nowadays.  As their plugs and bundles devalue, the less unique they become because of that saturation in the market.

I think the sweetspot, if you're using such tools to produce or release music, is when products become affordable but still offers something a bit cutting edge and unique. (personally) :)

• Great Idea 1

2 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Depends if you actually want to re-mic something (and that happens to work with the material) or give the illusion of a shared space to different tracks.

Honestly, when i first got it I sat and played guitar and vocals through the rooms with a cheeky JD and coke by my side and it was really fun.  If you drop the lights in the room and turn away from the screen you can really convince yourself that you're inside that studio and feeling the vibe of the room.

Appreciate that idle fun like that isn't for everyone, but I find moments like that give me inspiration rather than the normal sterile feeling of sitting in front of a screen.  I think that's what impressed me most about it to be honest.  I just haven't got round to actually using it in a production yet! :)  (Thanks for the tip though!)

• Like 4

Having watched Sound City (the documentary) many times, I had to try out Sound City Studios (the plugin).

I really like the sound, unfortunately as others have noted, the CPU usage is very high.  However, I noticed that most of the load is due to the Chamber module and, since that's not used in many of the presets I like, I decided to buy it for the other modules.

I'm jazzed that for just $34 I can add a bit of that Sound City vibe to my music.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

17 hours ago, locrian said:

Having watched Sound City (the documentary) many times, I had to try out Sound City Studios (the plugin).

I really like the sound, unfortunately as others have noted, the CPU usage is very high.  However, I noticed that most of the load is due to the Chamber module and, since that's not used in many of the presets I like, I decided to buy it for the other modules.

I'm jazzed that for just $34 I can add a bit of that Sound City vibe to my music.

That's too bad. I love Abbey Road Chambers, but CPU usage is pretty bad. I was hoping that this and Capitol Chambers (which also sounds great to my ears) wouldn't be as bad on CPU. Oh well, I've got to do the demo first,  I suppose. But seeing UAD plugins at these prices is extremely compelling. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

That's too bad. I love Abbey Road Chambers sooner, but CPU usage is pretty bad. I was hoping that this and Capital Chambers (which also sounds great to my ears) wouldn't be as bad on CPU. Oh well, I've got to do the demo first,  I suppose. But seeing UAD plugins at these prices is extremely compelling. 

I just bought and finished demoing Capital Chambers, and the CPU usage on my system (7-yr old HP laptop / Win 10  /Focusrite Scarlett 4i4/ Cubase13) was fairly modest.

So now I can use all the Sound City Studios modules except its Chamber and then follow with Capital Chambers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, locrian said:

I just bought and finished demoing Capital Chambers, and the CPU usage on my system (7-yr old HP laptop / Win 10  /Focusrite Scarlett 4i4/ Cubase13) was fairly modest.

So now I can use all the Sound City Studios modules except its Chamber and then follow with Capital Chambers.

Hey thanks for sharing that. I LOVE the demos I've heard of both Capitol Chambers and Sound City Studios. What are your thoughts in comparing and contrasting the two? I'll eventually buy both for sure, but I'm 60% sure I'll start with Sound City because I suspect I'll use it more (because I record a lot of heavy rock songs). 

So if you get the LUNA Pro Bundle, you get the individual plugins too?  So I could use Studer, API, etc, in Logic? 

Odd though, the price says $199 but adding to my cart shows $299.  Thought if it was $199, it would be $149 with the coupon.  $249 would be a no go.  Essentials + API Vision, API 2500, Studer and ATR-102 for $149 seemed pretty good.

7 hours ago, Skijumptoes said:

It's really enjoyable to use and great if you want to add a flavour of room to a mix or group of instruments, I love what it does.

However, i've not really found a genuine use for it yet, but i've not done a full production since owning it.  It's certainly not subtle! :)

It appears the $199 sale is over...

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Hey thanks for sharing that. I LOVE the demos I've heard of both Capitol Chambers and Sound City Studios. What are your thoughts in comparing and contrasting the two? I'll eventually buy both for sure, but I'm 60% sure I'll start with Sound City because I suspect I'll use it more (because I record a lot of heavy rock songs). 

Actually I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, so I can't really help in that regard.

For what it's worth I plan to use Capital Chambers exclusively as a send FX to add a subtle amount of space and depth.  I currently use IKM Sunset Sound Studio Reverb and Waves' Abbey Road Chamber Reverb for that job, but neither gives me the sound I'm looking for.   My short 15-minute demo with Capitol Chambers enabled me to get much closer to the sound I want for drums, vocals, and guitars.

In contrast I plan to use Sound City Studios for more dramatic effect processing to create menacing guitars, monster drums, and epic backing vocals.

Cheers...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Skijumptoes said:

It's what you achieve with them where the value is.  Those who were using UA tools many years have paid through the nose versus what we can pick up today for $30.

As prices come down, these tools become a base level to what most users own and UAD finds itself in most people's toolkit nowadays.  As their plugs and bundles devalue, the less unique they become because of that saturation in the market.

I think the sweetspot, if you're using such tools to produce or release music, is when products become affordable but still offers something a bit cutting edge and unique. (personally) :)

Definitely agreed. If I was just starting to buy plugins now, I'd be all over it.

But I have a stack of tape emulations, some I really love so there's no real need, or nothing that can't be achieved without it.

I'm more looking opportunistically because I just think it might be OK to grab. So waiting is really no issue.

I'm still not sure if be totally happy with UA if I paid $10K or more before their new pricing and now everyone else only paid under $200. I wouldn't have paid their excessive prices though and wouldn't have bought one of their interfaces, or done subscription, but once they went native and put some of their bundles on sale, they were a bit of a no-brainer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, locrian said:

Actually I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, so I can't really help in that regard.

For what it's worth I plan to use Capital Chambers exclusively as a send FX to add a subtle amount of space and depth.  I currently use IKM Sunset Sound Studio Reverb and Waves' Abbey Road Chamber Reverb for that job, but neither gives me the sound I'm looking for.   My short 15-minute demo with Capitol Chambers enabled me to get much closer to the sound I want for drums, vocals, and guitars.

In contrast I plan to use Sound City Studios for more dramatic effect processing to create menacing guitars, monster drums, and epic backing vocals.

Cheers...

When I had the Spark sub (paused for now) Capital Chambers was stunning.  Sunset is really great and more versatile, but it doesn't quite have the depth Capital has nor can it do the longer lengths that Capital can.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MusicMan said:

I'm still not sure if be totally happy with UA if I paid $10K or more before their new pricing and now everyone else only paid under $200.

I think what will become interesting is now UA have a ton of native users, many of which will have duplicate licenses through the various overlapping bundle deals.

Meaning that there may be a lot of pressure on the company to allow individual license transfers so that people can pass/sell on licenses as most other companies allow.  Their only model in the past was if you sold the hardware then the licenses should move with it, i believe?

27 minutes ago, Skijumptoes said:

I think what will become interesting is now UA have a ton of native users, many of which will have duplicate licenses through the various overlapping bundle deals.

Meaning that there may be a lot of pressure on the company to allow individual license transfers so that people can pass/sell on licenses as most other companies allow.  Their only model in the past was if you sold the hardware then the licenses should move with it, i believe?

Yeah that would be a bit better at least. That's part of my reluctance to buy Luna Pro. I think some of those plugs it would take me up to 3 or 4 licenses.. their model seems to be just keep buying the same plugin over and over and never be able to sell and get any costs back ?

On 7/24/2024 at 6:15 PM, cclarry said:

I already had everything including the API Summing and still bought it with the $25 code.
Just the Luna API was $149 and, when I bought you couldn't buy the ATR so getting all of
the Luna extensions was worth it to me...and I just got the ATR Native version free because
I owned he Luna Pro Bundle, so I think it was worth it.  I'm hoping that they add Neve Summing
(and maybe even a Neve Channel Strip) to the Bundle and to get them for free or a mininum
upgrade price

If they add Neve Summing, or other plugins that could be a winner.

Still a lot of us have most of them from their Signature bundle and I wonder if it works about better to just buy the missing ones.

Luna Pro includes:

• Ampex ATR-102 Master Tape Machine & LUNA Extension
  • API 2500 Bus Compressor & LUNA Extension
  • API Preamp
  • API Summing LUNA Extension
  • API Vision Channel Strip & LUNA Extension
  • Century Tube Channel Strip
  • Galaxy Tape Echo
  • Oxide Tape Recorder
  • Polymax
  • Pultec Passive EQ Collection
  • Pure Plate Reverb
  • Studer A800 Tape Recorder & LUNA Extension
  • Teletronix LA-2A Leveler Collection

The only ones needed are:

• API Preamp

The extension part is a bit unclear, but my understanding is that both the tapes include the extensions. Once you have all the components of the APIs you have the extension. It would be nice to confirm that.

If that was the case, then if you could buy them in the following order and you can still combine the vouchers, you should be able to get Pro equivalent for $137 or less if the API Summing is discounted further (and my math is correct ?)

Week 1

• Buy ATR-102 for $39
    • ($89 minus weekly $50 and get $25 thank you back)
  • Buy API Preamp for $24
    • ($49 Sale Price - $25 Thankyou and get $25 thank you back)

Week 2

• Buy API Summing LUNA Extension for $74 ($149 - $50 weekly voucher minus $25 thankyou)
    • You would also get a $25 thank you voucher back, but from a  Luna perspective, we would have Pro at this stage.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

If they add Neve Summing, or other plugins that could be a winner.

Still a lot of us have most of them from their Signature bundle and I wonder if it works about better to just buy the missing ones.

Luna Pro includes:

• API 2500 Bus Compressor & LUNA Extension
  • API Preamp
  • API Vision Channel Strip & LUNA Extension
  • Century Tube Channel Strip
  • Galaxy Tape Echo
  • Oxide Tape Recorder
  • Polymax
  • Pultec Passive EQ Collection
  • Pure Plate Reverb
  • Studer A800 Tape Recorder & LUNA Extension
  • Teletronix LA-2A Leveler Collection

The only ones needed are:

• API Preamp

The extension part is a bit unclear, but my understanding is that both the tapes include the extensions. Once you have all the components of the APIs you have the extension. It would be nice to confirm that.

If that was the case, then if you could buy them in the following order and you can still combine the vouchers, you should be able to get Pro equivalent for $137 or less if the API Summing is discounted further (and my math is correct ?)

Week 1

• Buy ATR-102 for $39
    • ($89 minus weekly $50 and get $25 thank you back)
  • Buy API Preamp for $24
    • ($49 Sale Price - $25 Thankyou and get $25 thank you back)

Week 2

• Buy API Summing LUNA Extension for $74 ($149 - $50 weekly voucher minus $25 thankyou)
    • You would also get a $25 thank you voucher back, but from a  Luna perspective, we would have Pro at this stage.

You only get ONE "Thank You" $25 coupon...that's the first problem.
Buying the "Native" version doesn't get you the Luna Extensions.  I already owned the Signature Bundle, which
includes most the API Collection, but it didn't have the Luna Extensions.  I already owned the Studer A800,
but it didn't have the Luna Extension.  It's the Luna Extensions that "integrate" to the Luna Console.
THAT is the reason that they sell two different versions of the API Collection!

Also, at the time I purchased, the ATR-102 wasn't Native, so it wasn't even possible to buy it because
it was "Apollo" only.

Edited by cclarry

5 minutes ago, cclarry said:

You only get ONE "Thank You" $25 coupon...that's the first problem.
Buying the "Native" version doesn't get you the Luna Extensions.  I already owned the Signature Bundle, which
includes most the API Collection, but it didn't have the Luna Extensions.  I already owned the Studer A800,
but it didn't have the Luna Extension.  It's the Luna Extensions that "integrate" to the Luna Console.
THAT is the reason that they sell two different versions of the API Collection!

Also, at the time I purchased, the ATR-102 wasn't Native, so it wasn't even possible to buy it because
it was "Apollo" only.

Don't you normally get a $25 thank you for every plugin you purchase as long as you buy them a day apart or so? I have always in the past, but I haven't bought a UA plugin in ages.

With the APIs the only ones missing is the preamp (and extension) and API Summing. From what UA states, buy them and bam, you got the API extensions.

https://uadforum.com/community/index.php?threads/its-here-luna-for-windows-q-a-with-connor-from-ua.71429/post-532018

• Radek Stanisz said:

hello. I am on PC and don't have Apollo interface.
I have collected some UA api native plugins, like api bus 2500 comp and api vision channel strip collection.
I am interested in getting full Luna's api console, and I found on the net that I have to own Api Pre and Api summing as well to get whole console automatically.
if it is true, my question is about api pre.
it seems to be a part of vision channel I own already, do I need to get a standalone version? if yes, how? it seems unison only (I don't have Apollo) and on UA website I cant add it to my card. any help would be appreciated.

all best

• UniversalAudio

Yes, once you have all 4 elements, you unlock the Extension Yes, you need it stand alone. You should be able to buy it, have you tried? If you have issues, let Support know.

It's possible it's only the new tape that includes the extension, but here Connor from UA answers it for ATR-102:

https://uadforum.com/community/index.php?threads/its-here-luna-for-windows-q-a-with-connor-from-ua.71429/post-527615

• UA_User said:

Working here with no probs so far. Very easy-to-figure-out software.

Edit: possibly dumb question: I recently bought the ATR tape. Is it a separate purchase to make it run as a LUNA addon? It shows it as "installed" in Luna extensions. But maybe that's the demo version?

• Connor from UA

That purchase gives you the full LUNA extension version as well. Enjoy!

The A800 states this on the page where you buy it. No mention of needing to buy Luna Pro. This might just be how they worded it though, but it sounds like it should be include.

• Use the Studer A800 LUNA Extension to easily add warmth to your entire mix on a per channel basis