Please can anyone advise on Melodyne Chord analysis

Roy Slough

Question

Hi, Experimenting with melodyne to take audio instruments (a Rythym Guitar in this instance) into midi to transpose into other digital instruments.
I am passing it through the melodyne note editor to "see" the note information prior to the midi extraction. 

I am greatly confused by what Melodyne presents as the note and key information. If you look at the attached screen shot it shows the key as A Major with the primary notes in this rhythm guitar as A2  D and E.
The guitarist tells me he is playing G  Gm11  with an occasional B
Know I understand D and E are in the chord G but not A and where is the "dominant" G.  
My music knowledge doesn't extend into knowing what key is prescribed from the chords being played, But I don't think G & Gm11 are A Major.

I know Melodyne has different alogrithms, this time it used polyphonic, but would different algorithms arrive at incorrect notes?

Any hints to improve my understanding greatly received. Thanks

P.S. Listening to a new digital guitar playing alongside the Audio guitar - sounds ok not discordant. Some issues where audio guitar slides but I understand that and can adapt. I am just not understanding the difference between what the guitar player is telling and and what Melodyne is telling me....

Melodyne Chord analysis.png

Edited by Roy Slough
More info

5 answers to this question

there seems to be a significant amount of A2 notes so that may be why Melodyne is assuming this is A Major - A C# E occaisional G (7th?)  - so you might ask the guitarist if they could provide a chord chart with dots on strings type or tab just to verify.

It really doesn't matter unless you use the pitch correction and tell it to move notes to the chosen scale. Otherwise it just moves notes to the closest value. This often results in a bad note which you will need to correct. There is always a lot of editing involved unless a part was played very very perfectly. 

And it might pick up overtones and harmonics and create notes from those. 

Myself I just drag and drop the audio track to a VST instrument track and edit in the PRV.  This automatically moves the notes to the closest pitch. 

Edited by Sock Monkey

22 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

there seems to be a significant amount of A2 notes so that may be why Melodyne is assuming this is A Major - A C# E occaisional G (7th?)  - so you might ask the guitarist if they could provide a chord chart with dots on strings type or tab just to verify.

Thanks Glenn & sock monkey , As I am not a guitarist and do not have perfect pitch it is hard for me. It could be he is forming a G chord but stumming mostly the A note. 
I am  not sure how much training on guitar he has had over the past 20 years since we were in a band, but I suspect he is very much self taught and may not appreciate too much scrutiny over his guitar playing. BTW we live 300 miles apart now and all our collaboration is done remotely.

I also am pretty much self taught bass player, After many years I know what Music Keys are and how they dictate the notes to be played, if they should be sharpened or flattened etc.. but when it come to knowing which chords are within each key it is beyond me. I stick to which notes work with each individual chord. Even then. I appreciate it can work to play a note not in the chord/key if it is a passing note and not on a dominant beat. I guess you know all this and more, just explaining my knowledge.

Therefore, I will just accept that melodyne is just doing it's best and not utilise it's chromatic/key snapping feature as it may not have interpreted appropriately.
I will just use melodyne to fix certain out of tune notes and be careful when extracting midi. Use my ears not eyes to deal with things that sound odd.

Thanks guys