Steinberg Introducing Pandrum 2

cclarry

Don't forget those different installers: Steinberg Download Assistant, Steinberg Activation Manager, Steinberg Library Assistant (or was it Manager?) There are probably some few hidden ones but I never went further because enough is enough.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, solema said:

Don't forget those different installers: Steinberg Download Assistant, Steinberg Activation Manager, Steinberg Library Assistant (or was it Manager?) There are probably some few hidden ones but I never went further because enough is enough.

If you use Kontakt which is the closest equivalent, it's really not that much different. You install Native Access, then install Kontakt, then install the library (that could involve another installer if it's a third party Kontakt library). Native Instruments leaves their daemon running in the background which for some weird reason can consume quite a lot of CPU at times when you're not even running their applications. 

The Steinberg ones could still be consolidated, but honestly they're simple, use no resources and run on demand. You don't generally often even need to use the library manager anyway. 

Steinberg never even enters my head for installer hassles. Native Access has definitely given me trouble more recently.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MusicMan said:

If you use Kontakt which is the closest equivalent, it's really not that much different.

The massive difference, and main point of these managers is to let you know what's installed and what needs updating - Steinberg, despite the additional apps required doesn't even show what you have installed.  I find that ridiculous personally.  I'm fine, as used Steinberg for years - but anyone new to the platform have a struggle on their hands which isn't helped when you have a number of different Groove Agent & HALion's to install.  It's those users which I feel for.

The download manager should simply show you which products you own, which are installed and which have updates.  Otherwise what's the point?  That's what Native Access does, so is much more justified. (imo) 

NI's problem is that they don't want you to keep the installer files, if only they provided that option for people on slow connections.

Edited by Skijumptoes
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Skijumptoes said:

The massive difference, and main point of these managers is to let you know what's installed and what needs updating - Steinberg, despite the additional apps required doesn't even show what you have installed.  I find that ridiculous personally.  I'm fine, as used Steinberg for years - but anyone new to the platform have a struggle on their hands which isn't helped when you have a number of different Groove Agent & HALion's to install.  It's those users which I feel for.

The download manager should simply show you which products you own, which are installed and which have updates.  Otherwise what's the point?  That's what Native Access does, so is much more justified. (imo) 

NI's problem is that they don't want you to keep the installer files, if only they provided that option for people on slow connections.

Not saying that the Steinberg apps are perfect and I do think they should consolidate and improve, but they actually do most of that.

I open up the Steimberg Download Assistant, I click on My Product Downloads and it shows me exactly what I own. If there are any products that need updating, there's an updates section at the top of the Download Assistant. It won't show that for me at the moment, as I'm completely updated. If I click Cubase Pro 12 in the "My Product Downloads" section, it shows all the items that are available and what I've installed and lists them as "Install" or "Install again" if they've already been installed and a big green bar with a tick in it to show it's installed.

I do think part of this is really still just migrating from their old eLicenser system and they're probably working towards a more consolidated experience.