Up to 80% Off — Exclusively at Sweetwater!

cclarry

2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Not gonna buy them. I already own them all.

That hasn't stopped some of us from purchasing the same thing (again)!

Seriously. I know I'm not alone because others have publicly acknowledged this too. PluginBoutique's "you already own this" notice has saved me from repeat purchases several times over the years -- and the fact that they have that function tells me that I'm not alone. Fortunately, I've only done that on stuff that was under $40 US. 

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Seriously. I know I'm not alone because others have publicly acknowledged this too. PluginBoutique's "you already own this" notice has saved me from repeat purchases several times over the years -- and the fact that they have that function tells me that I'm not alone. Fortunately, I've only done that on stuff that was under $40 US. 

Same here.

Wished other sites would mark 'owned' for what I already own as well so I can just focus on stuff I don't have yet from their catalog. Most still do not have that sadly.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

9 minutes ago, Rational said:

Same here.

Wished other sites would mark 'owned' for what I already own as well so I can just focus on stuff I don't have yet from their catalog. Most still do not have that sadly.

I don't know if I'm more comforted by knowing I'm not alone in doing that or more concerned that we're like an AA group that meets at a bar every night. 

19 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I've done that too. For PA I've done it on purpose back when adding a 5.99 item got you over the line for a HUGE discount on an item.

With other smaller companies I've taken to looking at my installs more frequently. About 90% of the time a vendor will refund after explaining to them it was a dual purchase. The biggst exception is Toontrack. Quite a few years back I made a "mistake" purchase and asked for a refund. They flat out said no. It was around $20.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I've done that too. For PA I've done it on purpose back when adding a 5.99 item got you over the line for a HUGE discount on an item.

With other smaller companies I've taken to looking at my installs more frequently. About 90% of the time a vendor will refund after explaining to them it was a dual purchase. The biggst exception is Toontrack. Quite a few years back I made a "mistake" purchase and asked for a refund. They flat out said no. It was around $20.

That's disappointing about Toontrack. I think they make superb libraries and plugins. SD3 is my go to for acoustic drums. But I don't find their practices to be customer centric. I also own Addictive Drums 2 and most of their drum libraries and have found them to be extremely customer centric. But the reality is, I greatly prefer Toontrack's drum plugin and libraries to those of XLN. Although someone from XLN did make a mysterious post on Facebook recently implying they had big news for Addictive Drums -- I'm hoping that means a new version that makes it more competitive with SD3. 

9 hours ago, Bapu said:

I think a bunch of us have an absurd numbers of tuners and meters from them for that very reason, especially when you could voucher stack.. I miss those days with PA ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

I think a bunch of us have an absurd numbers of tuners and meters from them for that very reason, especially when you could voucher stack.. I miss those days with PA ?

Yeah, the $5 to $10 a-pop days. 

• Like 3

I stopped buying Toontrack after SD3 came out and the price was crazy high and never really came down. Not thanks. Too many other companies with compelling prices on my list ahead of them. I did use SD2 and EZ Drummer a lot though back then. Their deals also seemed to dry up so I haven't even looked at them in years. Stuff works well though.

I've also stopped buying from PA since they were sold and stopped offering good deals on their latest plugins. Not going to pay more than $29 for their Fabfilter EQ clone or anything else for that matter. Until they go back to their old pricing I've stopped being interested.

Glad to see UA and Softube finally understand they need to compete and offer better marketing prices. Took 'em long enough...

Now if PA, Izotope and NI would just get their act together and know that I already own almost everything and offer me some compelling 'everything' bundle upgrade prices I'd be interested again.

Edited by Rational
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Meh 1

4 hours ago, Rational said:

if PA, Izotope and NI would just get their act together

Just don't really see that happening.

4 hours ago, Rational said:

stopped buying from PA since they were sold

Yes. Me too.

5 hours ago, Rational said:

stopped buying Toontrack after SD3 came out and the price was crazy high and never really came down

Glad I never got on that SD ride. Always stuck with EZD. Then EZK. Then EZB. And no, SD never came down in price. And they stopped selling EZD midi stuff like they did at first. But thier stuff does work well. Thankfully they finally updated EZK!!  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 8:06 AM, PavlovsCat said:

That's disappointing about Toontrack. I think they make superb libraries and plugins. SD3 is my go to for acoustic drums. But I don't find their practices to be customer centric. I also own Addictive Drums 2 and most of their drum libraries and have found them to be extremely customer centric. But the reality is, I greatly prefer Toontrack's drum plugin and libraries to those of XLN. Although someone from XLN did make a mysterious post on Facebook recently implying they had big news for Addictive Drums -- I'm hoping that means a new version that makes it more competitive with SD3. 

Despite the refusal to refund ~$20, I still support Toontrack all the way, as do I for Addictive Drums (own them all too). That's (maybe) good news for XLN. The only things I don't own from XLN are Trigger (I'm covered with Slate), Life and XO.

Another Drum rompler is Accent by Platinum Samples. It's limited to 4 libraries and the cost of that enterprise is over $400. I have 2 of the libraries (both had on sale), Ocean Way provided by Platinum Samples and Galaxy Drums by Space Cabin Audio. The other two libraries are Joe Barresi's Evil Drums by Platinum (which I have as Toontrack lib from back in the day) and Desert Drum by Space Cabin Audio ($132 for me, $35 move over the price of a single SD3 lib if I buy this 3 pack serials from bestservice) . 

The standout features of Accent is that it can host 3rd party VST/VST3s in the player and IIRC it can also trigger any other 3rd party brand library by loading that as a VST/VST3.

Sadly, no new libraries have been created for well over 5 years now, nor has any further development been done since 1.0.3 of the player. Platinum Samples is a small company.

• Like 2

Since the $10 pop days are over at PA I've elected to go with the yearly MEGA XL which provides 10 plugins free at the price of $299 (that's $29.99 per plugin, a price I'm willing to pay in the new environment).

I got my first year for $249 (and IIRC that same price as long as I keep my subscription), that's $24.99 per plugin. 

So far this year there have been 6 new titles. I already own everything but these 6. When 4 more are created I'll cash in for those 10 plugins.

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

Despite the refusal to refund ~$20, I still support Toontrack all the way, as do I for Addictive Drums (own them all too). That's (maybe) good news for XLN. The only things I don't own from XLN are Trigger (I'm covered with Slate), Life and XO.

Another Drum rompler is Accent by Platinum Samples. It's limited to 4 libraries and the cost of that enterprise is over $400. I have 2 of the libraries (both had on sale), Ocean Way provided by Platinum Samples and Galaxy Drums by Space Cabin Audio. The other two libraries are Joe Barresi's Evil Drums by Platinum (which I have as Toontrack lib from back in the day) and Desert Drum by Space Cabin Audio ($132 for me, $35 move over the price of a single SD3 lib if I buy this 3 pack serials from bestservice) . 

The standout features of Accent is that it can host 3rd party VST/VST3s in the player and IIRC it can also trigger any other 3rd party brand library by loading that as a VST/VST3.

Sadly, no new libraries have been created for well over 5 years now, nor has any further development been done since 1.0.3 of the player. Platinum Samples is a small company.

Wow, I remember Platinum Samples (and Joe Barassi's drum sample library) from their BFD libraries long ago. I didn't even know about their ROMpler until your post. I'll check it out; but of course, if it's gone 5 years without an update and no further development, I would be unlikely to pick it up. Again, as much as I'm not a fan of Toontrack's customer disloyalty and part of me would prefer to pull my wallet from them to send a message, I think that SD3 and their libraries are the best in the business, it's a fantastic product that is my go to acoustic drum VST and libraries and I'm totally hooked. 

Edited by PavlovsCat