AAS Chromaphone 3 Composition Tools Sale (Exclusive)

cclarry

51 minutes ago, TravEllerZero said:

Is the upgrade to 3 worth the $39 in your opinion?

Wasn't 3 when they added the second layer? At some point, I think it was 3, they added what's basically most of an entire 2nd Chromaphone synth engine with controls behind a tab. Also hundreds of new factory presets, and the v2 presets will of course work. The layers can be addressed multitimbrally, if you like to fly that way.

I've only ever had Chromaphone 3, but I used A|A|S Player before I got it, and when they added the second layers in the synths, the Swatches sounds got noticeably more lush. For String Studio and Analog VA as well as Chromaphone. Whatever Chromaphone soundpacks you're currently licensed for have been "remastered" to take advantage of the second layer, and if you use them in Chromaphone 2 instead of 3 or Player, they'll sound thinner.

In other words, way worth it, IMO. As ever, log in to your A|A|S account and see what your direct deal will be, sometimes they toss in the newest soundpack.

• Like 5

Isn't it just 2 layered Chromophone 2s  with some cosmetics changes?

Seems the main benefit is that when AAS offer you a free pack once a year, the Chromophone3 is compatible, whereas 2 no longer is. 

Edited by Kamikaze
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Fleer said:

Yes. Two layers, full sound, new presets. 

So it's really just a a presets push. I can send midi to one or more Chromophones as it is., and have them both open at the same time, instead of switching views. Shame they don't cross resonate with each other, as that's the concept of the synth in itself. 

On 7/19/2024 at 12:12 PM, Kamikaze said:

Isn't it just 2 layered Chromophone 2s  with some cosmetics changes?

Seems the main benefit is that when AAS offer you a free pack once a year, the Chromophone3 is compatible, whereas 2 no longer is. 

They let you pick your pick. 

5 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

So it's really just a a presets push. I can send midi to one or more Chromophones as it is., and have them both open at the same time, instead of switching views. Shame they don't cross resonate with each other, as that's the concept of the synth in itself. 

I dont know for sure since i dont have chromaphone 3 but i think i remember seeing somewhere that those 2 layers cross resonate

27 minutes ago, GoncaloL said:

I dont know for sure since i dont have chromaphone 3 but i think i remember seeing somewhere that those 2 layers cross resonate

You can cross resonate within a layer, but between it's just a blend control, according to their video.

57 minutes ago, Fleer said:

They let you pick your pick. 

I don't follow, sorry?

9 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

You can cross resonate within a layer, but between it's just a blend control, according to their video

Yep you’re right, they cross resonate between resonators within a layer but not between layers

7 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

So it's really just a a presets push. I can send midi to one or more Chromophones as it is., and have them both open at the same time

421 new patches. Also the existing 670 were "remastered" to take advantage of the newer features (2 layers and the ability to run both synth layers through the synth's common effects rack). To me, the UI looks better, crisper, more modern.

When Chromaphone 3 first shipped I didn't have it, I was using Chromaphone (and other) soundpacks with Player. I noticed right away that the "remastered" patches in my soundpacks sounded different from how they had sounded before (and I could compare due to having a soundpack that came with Mixcraft and is frozen at the version 2 level). I warned people here to be aware if they (like I did) had existing projects that used the sounds. The new ones are "bigger," and as such, may sit differently in a mix.

If you have any Chromaphone soundpacks, try them side-by-side, using Player and Chromaphone 2. If you don't hear a difference, then maybe the upgrade isn't for you.

Save the money for a tank of gas or a party size pizza.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do you think they modified the engine too then, or just went over a tweaked the settings. I guess they may have done between the original and 2. I can't recall if I had the original. I had their whole bundle (Tassman, Lizard,String and VA) and their Delay. Chromophone is definitely my favourite and pretty much the only one I ever turn to. They are all good though (Tassman just collected dust)., Usually the first thing I do on a synth preset is turn off the effects before I start tweaking, that looks to be 3 pages now with 1 per layer and a global. 

In the past I would have just upgraded, but I look back at all the little upgrade and thing I've bought and how many times they come around on sale. Maybe I'm just over it all a bit. I know the 3 things I'll grab when I'll see them on sale, and the rest will come around again. Sorry, just thinking out loud here a bit.  

13 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

421 new patches. Also the existing 670 were "remastered" to take advantage of the newer features (2 layers and the ability to run both synth layers through the synth's common effects rack). To me, the UI looks better, crisper, more modern.

When Chromaphone 3 first shipped I didn't have it, I was using Chromaphone (and other) soundpacks with Player. I noticed right away that the "remastered" patches in my soundpacks sounded different from how they had sounded before (and I could compare due to having a soundpack that came with Mixcraft and is frozen at the version 2 level). I warned people here to be aware if they (like I did) had existing projects that used the sounds. The new ones are "bigger," and as such, may sit differently in a mix.

If you have any Chromaphone soundpacks, try them side-by-side, using Player and Chromaphone 2. If you don't hear a difference, then maybe the upgrade isn't for you.

Save the money for a tank of gas or a party size pizza.

Good info. I bought the v3 upgrade when it was released 2-3 years ago. I would also note that:

1) Chromaphone v3 installs along side v2. It doesn't overwrite it, so any projects using v2 will continue to sound as written and mixed.

2) I expect that all new soundpack releases for Chromaphone will be v3 specific, so picking up v3 is still a good idea IMO. Chromaphone is SO good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Maar said:

2) I expect that all new soundpack releases for Chromaphone will be v3 specific, so picking up v3 is still a good idea IMO. Chromaphone is SO good.

I think I unsubscribed to their emails when I found that the new soundpacks wouldn't work on 2. They usually (or at used to) give a free soundpack every year, but being I don't really use the other synths, and the free ones wouldn't work on 2, I figured I'd just save the time on wading through demos trying to see what I could get for synths I don't use.  

1 hour ago, Kamikaze said:

I don't follow, sorry?

If I remember correctly, they let you choose which pack you’d like, so you could still pick one originally made for Chromaphone 2. 

5 minutes ago, Fleer said:

If I remember correctly, they let you choose which pack you’d like, so you could still pick one originally made for Chromaphone 2. 

I think they stopped, as an incentive to upgrade. I posted above at the same time as you reply. But this is when I think I unsubscribed from them.  This was just their annual freebie though, may still work on the paid option. Or maybe I just have all the chromophone 2 only ones. 

This thread has made me realise that maybe I should open Chromaphone 3 and try it out a little more.

I bought their instruments and effects collection (Chromaphone 3 + Lounge Lizard EP 4 + String Studio VS 3 + Strum GS 2 + Ultra Analog VA 3) for  €199 some time ago, and have barely touched any of them.

Not just because I haven't made much music, but also because I have too many plugins. And of course, maybe I'm making less music than before also because I have too many plugins...