Wow - this could make your PC practically silent!

I've been having an annoying problem with my PC/CPU/GPU fans. The fan tuning utility for my ASrock Z490 Extreme4 motherboard worked pretty well, but it could not do anything for my Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OC (rev 2.0) GPU.

Plus, my GPU would occasionally make an annoying "grinding" sound that occurred when the fans went from idle (off) to on (or vice versa - not sure).

Drove me nuts.

Lo and behold, I found this amazing piece of free / donation software that is amazing! Highly recommended. Being the guru that he is, @Jim Roseberry may know of it, but I sure did not. 

Here are 2 good explanations of what it is / how it works:
FanControl-Youtube1
FanControl-Youtube2

Quick screenshot of it on my PC:

FanControlScreenshot.thumb.png.791ae90c12fe71a2fa80f2224b8b2904.png

Takes a bit of learning / experimentation, but I now have a dead-silent DAW.

Hope this helps others. ?

• Like 2

For all fans other than the GPU (RTX video card), I prefer using the motherboard... as it offers more precise control.

Regarding the GPU, I prefer to use video cards that have a 0dB fan mode (silent when working with audio).

In a 0dB fan mode, the fans don't spin at all (absolute silence).

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

31 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

For all fans other than the GPU (RTX video card), I prefer using the motherboard... as it offers more precise control.

Regarding the GPU, I prefer to use video cards that have a 0dB fan mode (silent when working with audio).

Thanks Jim. For me, the clincher was the "grinding" noise of the RTX fan(s) as they went from off to on.  This software allowed me to set them to always spin at a very slow (inaudible) RPM and then increase as needed (which they rarely do). Aa always YMMV, but for me this utility has made my PC completely silent.

• Like 1