Metronome

giant ll

Question

Hello all. I've got a big problem. I use to record my guitar and voice in multitrack cakewalk software. I use Evo4, an external soundcard. I've always used cakewalk for recording. I use the normal cakewalk metronome and it is active just during  recording. When i listen to the track the metronome shouldn't be recorder, because the source is "mic line instrument 1" , only this source should be recorded. I record and expecially when i use a plugican called TH3, i listen the sound of metronome in recording! This is terrible! Sorry if my english isn't perfect, i hope that the problem will be clear. I would like to record, withouth earing the metronome or other noises in my record, because it's internal, it should be totally clean. It should record only the source i've selected. I didn't understand also.. if this problem is in my soundcard.. or something other.

Thanks in advance.

cakewalk setting.jpg

12 answers to this question

What you are experiencing is called a Loopback. Audio is going out to your interface so you can monitor it and play in time. 
You are correct that it should not Loopback to the new track. 

Make sure that what you are hearing is actually recorded to the track. Make sure Metronome during playback is not selected. 

Solo the track and listen. 

You can test if the Loopback is happening by arming a track for recording and start recording with out playing your guitar and see if the meters move. 

Does the audio interface use a software mixer? You might need to check there for a setting that causes the Loopback. 

Other than that your settings all look good in the screen shot. 

If this is a brand new interface it is possible that this is a defective 

Edited by John Vere

Thank you very much for your answer.

"What you are experiencing is called a Loopback." Yes... this is the problem.

"Make sure that what you are hearing is actually recorded to the track. Make sure Metronome during playback is not selected. " yes. Metronome is in the recording, in the track unfortunately... also some dirty that he ear.. is something like: "he record all he ear" but the setting is: input: mic line - instrument 1. It shouldn't.

"You can test if the Loopback is happening by arming a track for recording and start recording with out playing your guitar and see if the meters move." I§ will try also this as soon as possible. Thank you.

"Does the audio interface use a software mixer? You might need to check there for a setting that causes the Loopback. " Yws. It has got an Evo control. I thought the setting was correct, also because it doesn't happen always. It's so strange. Anyway.. i will try to analyse it again.

"If this is a brand new interface it is possible that this is a defective " it's not new.. but i've never recorded in multitrack so much! So it  can be that it was defective in the past also and i didn't recognise it.

"Solo the track and listen." yes. I've made all this tests... the metronome is in the track, in solo you can listen this noise of metronome in the track.

I'vre cheked all the functions of audio card, every setting is for mic 1 input. I has got also the possibility to record in loopback but you have to select it in a separate way. It's not. How you can see in the mixer, all the input is set on Line 1 input. There is no loopback selected on the computer..

Anyway-- if i put the volum of the speaker really high.. you can continue to listen a little bit of loop back the same. The same problem that i've wrote for. I think could be an issue of thew Audio Card and i don't know if there is a possibility to fix it with this Audio Card.

loopback.jpg

1 hour ago, giant ll said:

And this is cakewalk setting. Metronome is set to play only during recording, not during the play. And the input is sected correctly.

It's why i'm thinking that could be in the audio card the problem....

instrument.jpg

It's definitely a driver/audio device issue. It's likely something with the configuration for the Audient where you can assign things to the different driver inputs. If they have a mixer control panel, the solution is likely there. 

3 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

It's definitely a driver/audio device issue. It's likely something with the configuration for the Audient where you can assign things to the different driver inputs. If they have a mixer control panel, the solution is likely there. 

Thank you for your answer. Yes, absolutely it's a problem in audio card. The control panel is this, and it is all correct. I've contacted the technical support and in a first time they tried to tell me that i had in settings ... loop back. It wasn't correct obviously. I've sent them all the screenshot that i've sent you. Understood that was not loopback in settings.. they told me to be happy that there is not loopback! That's incredibile! So... i have a record track. He told me that there wasn't metronome on the track? I've sent him the track..

The volume is low of the metronome , because it's an issue, it's not normal that is there. I told them to put high the volume and listen... he told me that he don't listen the metronome! Is incredibile. I think they don't want to admit that the soundcard has an issue..

Here's the mp3... i've cut it but it's the first part, you can ear the metronome. It's impossible that a technical support don't ear the metronome in this file...

control panel2.jpg

59 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Are you recording with a microphone? If so, are you using headphones? If so, could the metronome sound be bleeding out the headphones to the microphone?

What is this?

loopback.jpg

No, obviously not. I would not open this question. If you use a microphone and you use an headphones, and the sound comes out to the headphones... some kinds of mic could take the sond that you are earing from the headphones. It could take the metronome also.It can happen to my singer for example, she use external microphone. And yes.. she take a little bit of everything if the studio where she record isn't well separated and silently.

I record in an internal mode.. i can record near an explosion and it doesn't ear nothing! lol. It's a way to say that it is internal and work good. I don't have the same problem of my singer.

i don't use external recording methods. All the signal is internal, from the source to the audiocard. That's why the Audiocard Support say that is impossible that the metronome is there, i showed them all the settings, but the metronome is there!

Ok: second question: my Audio Card has a loopback mode. If you want to record everything the computer ear... and obviously also the metronome.. you can make it, you select as input mode: loopback mode.. and you record everything together.

IT's not the case because the setting is disabled. Audio card Technical support admitted that disabling process was correct.

You have an option. To make this you can select input: loop back.. and so yes.. you will hear the metronome. But you will ear it loudly! and very strong. The issue is that disabling every kind of loopback.. it countinue in  deep and very slow volume.. to have a form of loopback. You have to put the speaker volume high to ear it, it's a very small signal. This is not normal.

Your last question: Loop Back 1/2 is off, in every setting.

Edited by giant ll