Introducing the HoRNet H76: Your New Go-To Compressor Limiter Plugin!

MusicMan

So... with default settings, I engaged all the AUTO features on each and rendered those files.  I took snip pictures of the final output from the plugins (see pictures).

H76.JPG.656703961582a8efc736f85eddcad043.JPG

MulticomPlusMK2.JPG.87716505a5025a77f3e4917a596ecbb7.JPG

I couldn't upload 96 khz 24 bit because of max total size being 4.88mb, so I uploaded 44.1khz 16 bit instead.

Just note, auto gets turned off after you run thru the audio the first time.  The static output is performed after your first "listen" with these plugins.

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Here's the original sound:

That's for the snare... if you wane me to do some for other instruments, please let me know exactly which ones.

I had previously render both of those first snares at the same time... then rendered this original afterwards... it seems the instrument randomly picks times to change it's sound... so the first two sound the same, and the original sounds slightly different.

Even if I use the normalizer on both to make their output sound the same.... they still sound different.

Here's with the Hornet The Normalizer at -3dB:

H76 +13.8db

Multipcomp plug mk2 +6.3db

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I wonder if I should be normalizing these, as H76 tends to be the lowest sounding of them all.

Here's a kick, which I reset all to factory, I had to manually set Multicomp plus MK2 to FET, I used AUTO on all of them:

Original

H76

Multicomp Plus MK2

The H76 is more tight of a sound compared to the Multicomp Plus MK2, even in it's FET mode.

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guitar Normalized to -3db:

Original Sound:

H76:

Multicomp Plus MK2:

In my opinion, the Multicomp Plus MK2 in FET mode only just raises the volume and doesn't do anything else, while the H76 actually tights the sound and makes it sound more picky and firm.

Note, this was the actual guitar used for Where Love Resides song I written recently and posted in songs here @ cakewalk.com

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Wow, @El Diablo, what a bunch of useful posts you've made. I think -- beyond cclarry, who's our MVP -- you have to win the award for the most helpful forum member for our community today with these posts. Kudos. You really went through a lot of effort to help us know more about this tool. Much respect! 

Edited by PavlovsCat

18 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

You really went through a lot of effort to help us know more about this tool.

I think El has had his coffee today. And we get to benefit!

These kinds of comparative listening tests are very valuable for comparing processors.

• Like 5

@El Diablo thanks immensely for that!!  It obviously took some time, and I appreciate it. 

I particularly liked the way the H76 handled the acoustic guitar.  Like you noted, it really brought out the edgy/steely sound.   You've convinced me to buy one. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I think El has had his coffee today. And we get to benefit!

These kinds of comparative listening tests are very valuable for comparing processors.

Yep, another reason why I appreciate this forum so much, people like you and El Diablo being so helpful to others and sharing your knowledge. 

Although I do find it a bit odd to find myself thanking "The Devil." 

image.png.4d580f286c1a85ccfb700d2f8bc16175.png

Edited by PavlovsCat

I was playing with the H76 today when I was "remixing" someone else's content where I separated their vocals from the instruments using Acon Digital Rexmix plugin and used it in her vocals.  She had a tendency to sing in a way that lowered and raised her vocal volume that you couldn't hear what she was saying at times. 

While having H76 doing 'Auto', I started to raise the output on the H76 to -12db instead of the -24db that it likes to start at.

I'm amazed how well the H76 balances her vocal so that I can clearly hear the silent parts while taming the loud parts. 

Since I don't own the audio as I'm waiting on permission to remix her song, you'll just have to accept my word on it, for now.  I didn't save anything, I did everything in real time while it was playing thru YouTube.  Lucky, unlike RX 10 Standard, Acon Digital Rexmix works in real time. 

But, pretty neat that the H76 can bring up soft areas of a vocal while taming the loud areas.

• Like 5

On 7/19/2024 at 11:39 AM, DamienF said:

Is there some sonic difference between the FET compressor of Multicomp and the H76 ?

Plenty. 

First the FET model is one of the oldest compression algorithm we have and it has been designed copying the behaviour of a simulated 1176 circuit (we used some engineering tool called SPICE, some of you may know it, to simulate the circuit beck in 2013 or something...)  the H76 model is the result of the analysis of a real 1176 blackface hardware, measured in every aspect (and the attack an release behaviour it's completely different in real life from what the circuit seems to imply) 
Also the compression curves are different and this makes a big difference too.

Saverio

• Like 7

4 hours ago, HoRNet said:

Plenty. 

First the FET model is one of the oldest compression algorithm we have and it has been designed copying the behaviour of a simulated 1176 circuit (we used some engineering tool called SPICE, some of you may know it, to simulate the circuit beck in 2013 or something...)  the H76 model is the result of the analysis of a real 1176 blackface hardware, measured in every aspect (and the attack an release behaviour it's completely different in real life from what the circuit seems to imply) 
Also the compression curves are different and this makes a big difference too.

Saverio

Thanks for providing this information, Saverio.