Kind of panicking! - Huge project suddenly silent

jkoseattle

Question

I'm at the very last step of this project. Two little changes left, then time to export tracks to audio files. Went in to make these last couple changes, and suddenly I get no audio from the project at all. Other projects will work, (at least a new Midi-only one did). 

I checked obvious suspects, like soloed tracks, audio output issues, all that. This project contains both midi and audio, and neither type plays. I can play and the shuttle moves, but if I try to record, the shuttle does not move at all. Again, all this works fine in a new project. So it's not an OS or audio driver issue.

Even if there is some hidden soloed track that just isn't showing up as solo'ed, you'd think soloing another track would allow it to chime in. But I can't make any sort of peep out of this project whatsoever. This means that attempting to record audio does not even cause the meters to light up, though the audio is clearly audible from the mic through to the speakers. Everything in the Preferences dialog looks completely normal for both Midi and Audio, yet neither is working..

Lastly, I decided hell with it, I won't make those changes, and I'll just export tracks to wavs and be done with it. But doing this only generates useless 4 Kb files for each track. what's going on??

This has got to be something really stupid, right?

Edited by jkoseattle

7 answers to this question

The transport module has both global mute and global solo buttons. 
Toggling those will eliminate that as being the issue. 

Open console view and observe if all track meters are showing playback. Observe if all buses are showing playback. Observe master bus. Then observe if the hardware buses are showing action. 

12 hours ago, John Vere said:

The transport module has both global mute and global solo buttons. 
Toggling those will eliminate that as being the issue. 

Open console view and observe if all track meters are showing playback. Observe if all buses are showing playback. Observe master bus. Then observe if the hardware buses are showing action. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "showing playback". If you mean the volume meters are active, I can tell you they are not. 

If the global mute or solo buttons are activated, wouldn't that light them up? But if perhaps the issue is that one is active but not lit up, which I will check. Pretty low confidence though, because I probably already did so at some point.

27 minutes ago, Living Room Rocker said:

Is your audio engine engaged?

Good call and that was my next question too. We now are told there is no activity of meters. 

This implies just that. But usually the audio engine gets reset when you re open a project. Which is another good call by @pwal³

Then all that it could be is the global mute. Or a hidden track or buss is soloed. 
That’s why I suggested toggling those to reset. 

The transport module is the first place you look when this happens. 

Posted (edited)

Nothing working.

HOWEVER... I have new clues. I added a new track with a patch already existing in the project. the new track plays fine. Then I noticed that the Freeze button on every track is disabled, but it is not disabled on the new track. Freezing and un-freezing the new track behaves normally. 

Why would all the existing tracks (some of which are Archived, some not) all share a disabled freeze button?

More data: Opened the project in Safe Mode, and said No to All installation of plugins. Freeze buttons are still disabled.

Edited by jkoseattle