Patrick Moraz Electronic Slinky

Vernon Barnes

Does anyone know what the "electronic slinky" played by Patrick Moraz on Relayer and some of his solo albums was?

The best description I have found was it was something he had developed and he would not divulge any details.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just making this up, but I've always thought it was a voltage-control input device, probably hooked into a Minimoog. Like the handheld ribbon controller Keith Emerson used to use in the early days of ELP.

39 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Maybe I'm just making this up, but I've always thought it was a voltage-control input device, probably hooked into a Minimoog. Like the handheld ribbon controller Keith Emerson used to use in the early days of ELP.

That was my guess.

An alternative suggestion was a large spring with a pickup, but why? A sort of resonator like a spring reverb? A controller seems more likely.

"large spring with a pickup" sounds plausible. After all, every band had one and it long ago occurred to many that it could make cool thunder-like sounds. But I've no idea how you'd get anything melodic out of one. Unless it was just a cute name he'd given to a repurposed Hammond spring reverb.

• Like 1