Midi CC not being passed through VSTs

I'm a little baffled by this, taken bite a bit of investigation.

Note: I'm going to use the word Midi Composition VST and not Midi FX, because Midi FX go in the Midi FX bin, and are not VSTs, I can't think of a better word. 

I use a few midi composition VST, Scaler, Euclid, Harmony Bloom etc. To set these up you need to put them on a second track, and route the midi out to the track with the VSTi or a midi track with an Hardware synth. This midi track can on have a midi input of the midi composition VST (Scaler etc), otherwise it's receiving midi from all inputs. I can't see a way to select 2 midi inputs

I have a Launch Control, with lots of CC assignments, in the case of one synth it's 96 assignments (3 banks of 32)

To use the Launch Control. I have to play it on the same track as the Midi composition tool, and send it's CC data along with the midi from the Midi Comp. VST.

Today I found with Harmony Bloom CC38, 98 ,99, 100 and 101 are not being sent out of the 96 CCs that are. SO I tried with Scaler and Bleass Arp, and Scaler passes through lots of Different CC (I didn't test all 96), but again, CC38, 98 ,99, 100 and 101 are not being sent out. So I tried, Euclid, Block Sequencer, and Seqund (the first two made by HY and the last a collab with HY), and with these it seems none of the data passes through.  

Any thoughts on this, is there a way to send a track two midi sources only, or a ways to not filter out midi CC? Or any workaround? 

6,38,98,99,100,102 (also 96, 97) are used for (N)RPN messaged (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRPN)

If something (plug-in) works with (N)RPN, it will not work with individual CCs which are used to implement them.

Cakewalk always was not flexible with MIDI routing. But let be realistic, how are you going to use 3 banks of the same finite controls directly to MIDI, so without catch, even if you remember what all these controls are? ? 

Well, you can assign CCs from different channels. As long as target interpret them channel dependent way, with that you can avoid assigning "reserved" CCs.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, azslow3 said:

6,38,98,99,100,102 (also 96, 97) are used for (N)RPN messaged (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRPN)

If something (plug-in) works with (N)RPN, it will not work with individual CCs which are used to implement them.

Cakewalk always was not flexible with MIDI routing. But let be realistic, how are you going to use 3 banks of the same finite controls directly to MIDI, so without catch, even if you remember what all these controls are? ? 

Well, you can assign CCs from different channels. As long as target interpret them channel dependent way, with that you can avoid assigning "reserved" CCs.

I've been using these 3 banks quite intuitively for a while now, because they repeat a lot. The synth has 6 envelops ADSR, so that the 3 bank faders, also the ADR have a curve control and there's a envelope time scale too. so that's another set of 4 time 6. So that's half the controls just on the envelope stage.  It's an FM synth with a 4x4 Matrix,  and each carrier has 4 wave modifiers. So there's a repeated pattern running across each bank. I spend most of my time on the first 2 banks, only having to check some of the controls on the 3rd bank. I love how much the Launch control has opened up this FM synth, a form of synthesis that normally scares me, I'm tempted to get another So I can stay most of the time on two banks and the knobs stay in their correct positions. 

image.thumb.png.e7cccedb653e85804ad7e26adb6e7639.png

image.thumb.png.7af5b0c57051e75bcb5687ce05b851b4.png

image.thumb.png.aee771e0aaf9ee31ee93bc760d2f9e2c.png

"If something (plug-in) works with (N)RPN, it will not work with individual CCs which are used to implement them."

I'm not following, are you talking about the the synth plug in, or the Midi Composition Plug-in. Not sure why you are saying about NRPNs,  I'm only using CC numbers There's 127 for a synth and I'm using 96 of them. It all works fine, when it's a normal midi track. The issue only occurs when I use another VST to create the midi data, as with Scaler.

Edited by Kamikaze

You could use a software loopback device such as loopBe or LoopMIDI to send to multiple plugins.  Once installed, they look like hardware MIDI devices.

The track sending  the MIDI would send to "loopBe MIDI OUT #1".

The receiving tracks would all have their input set to "loopBe MIDI IN #1".

I'm not sure, I'm not trying to send to multiple anything, but multiple to a singular midi channel out. I'm don't get what a virtual midi cable is trying to do. 

I want to send both the Midi out of the Launch Control and an Instrument track (not with an synth on it, but a MIDI generating VST) both in parallel to a second Midi Track. This is then sent to an external hardware synth (actually an MPC with multiple soft synths, but it's a hardware midi connection) 

How would a virtual midi cable fit in that scenario?

4 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

"If something (plug-in) works with (N)RPN, it will not work with individual CCs which are used to implement them."

I'm not following, are you talking about the the synth plug in, or the Midi Composition Plug-in. Not sure why you are saying about NRPNs,  I'm only using CC numbers There's 127 for a synth and I'm using 96 of them. It all works fine, when it's a normal midi track. The issue only occurs when I use another VST to create the midi data, as with Scaler.

(N)RPNs are implemented using CC numbers you have trouble with. You drive MIDI "throw" plug-ins, when plug-in is capable to use (N)RPN, it will most probably block CCs you mention. But that can be plug-in setting.

Posted (edited)

So the NRPMs with the MIDI VST are messing things up, and in different ways. So there is nothing I can do about that. 

So I'm looking at a work around to merge MIdi inputs in parallel instead of series. When I select an input port on all the hardware and software input ports are listed. To merge input ports you can set up a preset from the preset manager at the bottom of the same list. But The preset manager only lists hardware input ports, not software. 

I'm kind of guessing I'm stuck on this one.

The only thing I can do is print the midi and the miniplate the CCs after the MIDI VST has don it's job. Which is a shame as Harmony bloom, is a Polyrhythmic phrase generator, capable of creating evolving phrases of very long bar lengths, and it's often about subtle dialing in.  And it works so well with this FM synth, and dialing that in a the same time continually surprises me.  

EDIT: or I can just not connect my Launch Control to my PC, and just directly into my MPC with a USB hub. And reconnect it for recording CC automation. 

Edited by Kamikaze