Confidence in the product development team behind the new Sonar and Cakewalk Next?

Hi!

I downloaded Cakewalk Next to evaluate it, and experienced a few crashes, a few freezes as well as the fact that they seem to be doing computationally heavy operations on the UI thread (the UI freezes for short periods, for example when changing audio device in the settings menu), so I don't know how confident I am that this team will be able to turn this into a good, usable product. What do you guys think?

When it comes to Sonar, I tried installing it through Cakewalk Product Center, but clicking "Install" on the latest version of Sonar just brings up the Cakewalk Next installer, so I gave up on that. I was really rooting for Sonar/Next, for legacy reasons, and I would love if they were able to deliver. But not even being able to install Sonar, plus my experience from Next (see first paragraph) makes be doubt their ability to ship a stable product and grow/refine it over time.

Please share your thoughts, because I'm on the fence of whether or not I should invest time in learning a different DAW instead.

probably best to share the crash dump information with the product development team, and also post in the Sonar forum vs the Cakewalk by Bandlab as more of the dev team is likely to see  it there. they will want to know your system specifications as well.

as an aside - since installing Sonar and Next, the only time i've experienced crashes or bad audio - two crashes and bad audio due to the Pro-Q3 - which is only after i recently updated the plugin. otherwise very stable. 

4 hours ago, John Knoop said:

Hi!

I downloaded Cakewalk Next to evaluate it, and experienced a few crashes, a few freezes as well as the fact that they seem to be doing computationally heavy operations on the UI thread (the UI freezes for short periods, for example when changing audio device in the settings menu), so I don't know how confident I am that this team will be able to turn this into a good, usable product. What do you guys think?

When it comes to Sonar, I tried installing it through Cakewalk Product Center, but clicking "Install" on the latest version of Sonar just brings up the Cakewalk Next installer, so I gave up on that. I was really rooting for Sonar/Next, for legacy reasons, and I would love if they were able to deliver. But not even being able to install Sonar, plus my experience from Next (see first paragraph) makes be doubt their ability to ship a stable product and grow/refine it over time.

Please share your thoughts, because I'm on the fence of whether or not I should invest time in learning a different DAW instead.

The current version of Cakewalk Product Center does not have an option to download the new version of Sonar. It is available to download here.

Your issue with Next sounds like there might be issues with your audio driver. You would need to provide more details on your device and configuration to be adequately troubleshoot that. There's also the new Next section of this forum where you can discuss Next-specific topics. 

You can always contact Support too for additional help troubleshooting. 

• Like 1