GForce Oberheim OB-1 for $64.99

Larry Shelby

1 hour ago, jngnz said:

Huh? Is this new?

Yes. It's a nice Oberheim companion to their OB-X and DMX VIs. I appreciate the fact the GForce includes standalone versions of their synths. It's nice to be able to bring one up and play it without having to open one of my DAWs or Gig Performer.

For curious Europeans, the £49 listed sales price was converted to £40 plus £8 for the 20% French VAT. The real expense was PayPal's exorbitant currency conversion fee. I wound up paying 59,29 €. The nominal exchange rate is about 0.845. PayPal used 0.81! Almost 4%! Grrrrrr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, John Maar said:

Yes. It's a nice Oberheim companion to their OB-X and DMX VIs. I appreciate the fact the GForce includes standalone versions of their synths. It's nice to be able to bring one up and play it without having to open one of my DAWs or Gig Performer.

For curious Europeans, the £49 listed sales price was converted to £40 plus £8 for the 20% French VAT. The real expense was PayPal's exorbitant currency conversion fee. I wound up paying 59,29 €. The nominal exchange rate is about 0.845. PayPal used 0.81! Almost 4%! Grrrrrr.

May I ask if you purchased it on the official website?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John Maar said:

You can adjust the default exchange rate of PayPal to change according to the payment currency, so there will be no additional currency exchange fees. Many years ago, when I first used PayPal to bind a credit card, I forgot to adjust this setting. That setting must be changed!

• Like 1

If you have other Oberheim, and you are logged in and add to your cart, you will get a message, "Oberheim Loyalty Discount has been applied to your cart. " and the price (for me was 39.99 pounds, about 52 dollars). It may depend on what other Oberheim ones you own. Not a great "loyalty" discount, but better than nothing ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barrie said:

If you have other Oberheim, and you are logged in and add to your cart, you will get a message, "Oberheim Loyalty Discount has been applied to your cart. " and the price (for me was 39.99 pounds, about 52 dollars). It may depend on what other Oberheim ones you own. Not a great "loyalty" discount, but better than nothing ?

That’s still worse with taxes than the regular JRR price. Bit of a shame.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Zo said:

So basically buyuing it full price form shops is less expensive than buying the discounted price for previous ob owner ?

Always with them unfortunately... There have been a few exceptions, but in general, their "loyalty" offers are always worse than buying outright elsewhere. Same with Sonible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, FINi said:

You can adjust the default exchange rate of PayPal to change according to the payment currency, so there will be no additional currency exchange fees. Many years ago, when I first used PayPal to bind a credit card, I forgot to adjust this setting. That setting must be changed!

How? I checked both of my PayPal accounts (France € and U.S. $), and couldn't find any setting for that.

9 hours ago, Zo said:

So basically buyuing it full price form shops is less expensive than buying the discounted price for previous ob owner ?

Because the GForce price includes VAT if applicable in your country of residence. Buying from a US retailer you evade the VAT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Always with them unfortunately... There have been a few exceptions, but in general, their "loyalty" offers are always worse than buying outright elsewhere. Same with Sonible.

It may very well be that the £40 price I was offered was a "loyalty" price, since I already owned two of their other Oberheim synths. I didn't see any message to that effect, but whatever. It's now been purchased and installed. It can sound HUGE! Load the Aphex Bells preset. Sweet! Then turn on Unison. Holy schmoly. The opening bell for Ragnarök!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Because the GForce price includes VAT if applicable in your country of residence. Buying from a US retailer you evade the VAT.

Not all of them. Those who are compliant with EU rules will recognize that you're connecting from the EU and add the appropriate VAT, even if they are charging in USD and I am paying from the PayPal account associated with my US bank. Some don't (not going to mention any names ?), so I save a bit of money.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, John Maar said:

How? I checked both of my PayPal accounts (France € and U.S. $), and couldn't find any setting for that.

i also could not find in paypal how to change settings that paypal will use bank exchange rate instead of paypal exchange rate,,,there is no otion anymore unless it is hidden somewhere, if someone knows advice steps please

56 minutes ago, Vst0nE said:

i also could not find in paypal how to change settings that paypal will use bank exchange rate instead of paypal exchange rate,,,there is no otion anymore unless it is hidden somewhere, if someone knows advice steps please

It's during the checkout process right under the credit card info. Should say something like "exchange rate options“ and then you select your credit card company instead of Pal and save like 5%. And yes, AFAIK this is only possible with credit cards and not with bank transfers so that might be the reason you’re not seeing it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Maar said:

It may very well be that the £40 price I was offered was a "loyalty" price, since I already owned two of their other Oberheim synths. I didn't see any message to that effect, but whatever. It's now been purchased and installed. It can sound HUGE! Load the Aphex Bells preset. Sweet! Then turn on Unison. Holy schmoly. The opening bell for Ragnarök!

Yeah that was the loyalty price John. I bought the bundle prior to DMX so I get the loyalty discount too, but someone that has never bought anything from them before can go to a reseller and get it on sale for pretty much the same price.

They almost never let us down with sound though! The OB-X is my least favourite from them so far. I just haven't clicked with that one yet. All the others are really good.

Edited by MusicMan
Typos
  • Like 1