Red Room Audio now Part of Impact Soundworks

Larry Shelby

After 7 years, Red Room Audio is officially closing its doors. I started Red Room Audio in 2017 after many years of helping to design and produce virtual instruments for Impact Soundworks. With their help getting us off the ground, RRA quickly established high standards of quality and a reputation for excellent customer support. We hope our catalog has inspired your wonderful musical creations and provided tools to help bring them to life.

But wait, I said this was an exciting announcement, right?

The exciting part is that, as of June 2024, Red Room Audio is now officially part of the Impact Soundworks family! We're going back where we started - helping to produce and design instruments for ISW. This means our entire catalog of virtual instruments is now available on the ISW website, and ISW will be managing updates and customer support for all your previous RRA purchases.

https://impactsoundworks.com/my-account/

• Like 1

Funny - I've bought a few things from RRA, but didn't get that email from them. I did get the announcement from ISW though. The nice thing is that my previous purchases were automatically merged in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was aware that Red Room Audio was started by a former ISW contractor. They made nice libraries (although I only have their freebies),  IMO. 

One of the things about how some indie developers in this business operate makes acquisitions relatively easy. Though these companies may bring in millions in annual revenue, they're often ran exclusively using contractors. Even more, some avoid the expense of an office and remain home-based with contractors working remotely.  To anyone who thinks this industry isn't lucrative,  put the address at the bottom of your Impact Soundworks emails into Google and check out that million dollar plus dream home. This business is still making some developers rich. 

Years ago, I used to give small developers free advice and would even turn down free NFRs in many instances. But those were very different times when the industry wasn't mature and less money was being made. Some of those developers, like Camel Audio and Steven Slate, have gone on to great success. But those were different times. Even savvy small devs are making great money and the industry has become very cut throat. Too bad Red Room Audio couldn't make a go of it. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Posted (edited)

Can we have an ISW related topic without some sort of shot across the bow at them, PavlovsCat?  

EDIT:  In addition to this thread, here are some others from the past 6 months:

Edited by SmokeyJ628
  • Like 1
  • Meh 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SmokeyJ628 said:

Can we have an ISW related topic without some sort of shot across the bow at them, PavlovsCat?  

It's a forum.

I thought it would be insightful to share how the industry has evolved in a thread about an acquisition.

I've only shared something about ISW's practices on one other ISW thread earlier this year, not subsequent threads. That was several months ago. 

In my real life, I write on business, and have covered, and am known for, my writing on marketing strategy and business ethics. It's part of what I do. So it definitely impacts how I write posts and what interests me. Part of what makes this forum great is that it's user based, not centered around making revenue from developers.  That enables us to be more open. I greatly appreciate that difference. 

If someone writes something that shares knowledge that you don't agree with or like, you don't have to attempt to cancel their posts. It's fine to disagree,  but censorship and trying to cancel conversations, as you're attempting to do, is something very different. If you don't agree with someone or like what they wrote, you can simply skip their post and read another one or state your case without an attempt to cancel someone else's write to speak. It's not that hard.  You're not going to be able to control and agree with every post you see. This isn't an echo chamber,  and I think that's a good thing. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SmokeyJ628 said:

EDIT:  In addition to this thread, here are some others from the past 6 months:

You just edited your post and it feels a bit like stalking and harassment.  This forum is for musicians,  not for developers to control and I was sharing my personal knowledge so that other customers understood what was going on at VI Control back then, because some folks here are members at both forums. You're claiming those posts are from the past 6 months when all but one are dated 2023 and some are my responses to someone asking me questions.

The dates relate to being near when ISW had two employees (technically contractors) making libelous attacks, two that I knew to be false, on a competitor.  And I knew one of the employees to be lying because 14 years prior, I gave him advice after he was caught doing a faux review on KVR talking up a library for a developer he worked for against Troels library-- hiding the fact to make it look like an unbiased comparison; it was a faux review for a company he worked for that talked it up against a competitor library. 14 years later, that employee, Mario (who I otherwise have always really liked) posted falsely that Troels had threatened him for merely doing a critical review as a sample user -- not what he actually did. I was contacted back then because Mario was afraid he could be sued for what he did. Mario and Sarah both work for Impact Soundworks,  an 8Dio competitor, but didn't  disclose  that in their thread attacking an ISW competitor. I found that unethical and I voiced that opinion. 

So when someone asks me about something,  I commonly will tell them as I did last year in some posts you've cited. But those posts are from back then. They don't include recent ISW sales threads,  as you've asserted. Once I shared the info, I didn't share it again unless someone asked,  brought it up, as you just did, or found it relevant to a discussion. For some reason that really disturbs you to the point of your above inflammatory post that feels a lot like harassment.  I hope you'll stop.

All of us should be free to share our knowledge, experience, and opinions without facing attacks from other forum members seeking to control conversations when they see something they don't agree with. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

I wrote one question in my post.  I then made exactly one edit that provided links to several examples of what I brought up in my question.  I made exactly one mistake in saying 6 months instead of 8 months.  I made no other changes to my post.  

That is what I have done.  And you are saying that my actions feel a lot like harassment?  

My irony meter has exploded: 

• You complain about my one clearly indicated edit, but you have edited (without annotation) every one of you posts in this thread including changing the one I replied to.   Some have been edited multiple times based on the time-stamps.  
  • You said: "If you don't agree with someone or like what they wrote, you can simply skip their post and read another one or state your case without an attempt to cancel someone else's write to speak. It's not that hard."  Then you write multiple paragraph responses to me and then indirectly accuse me of harassment.

I have contacted a mod explaining I've been falsely accused of harassment.  I've been a relatively quiet Cakewalk forumite since 2005 or 2006.  I'll go forward never addressing you again and I'll never this post or my previous one.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, SmokeyJ628 said:

I wrote one question in my post.  I then made exactly one edit that provided links to several examples of what I brought up in my question.  I made exactly one mistake in saying 6 months instead of 8 months.  I made no other changes to my post.  

That is what I have done.  And you are saying that my actions feel a lot like harassment?  

My irony meter has exploded: 

• You complain about my one clearly indicated edit, but you have edited (without annotation) every one of you posts in this thread including changing the one I replied to.   Some have been edited multiple times based on the time-stamps.  
  • You said: "If you don't agree with someone or like what they wrote, you can simply skip their post and read another one or state your case without an attempt to cancel someone else's write to speak. It's not that hard."  Then you write multiple paragraph responses to me and then indirectly accuse me of harassment.

I have contacted a mod explaining I've been falsely accused of harassment.  I've been a relatively quiet Cakewalk forumite since 2005 or 2006.  I'll go forward never addressing you again and I'll never this post or my previous one.

When you go through another forum member's posts in an attempt to make an attack on them and intimidate them from posting, it absolutely feels a lot like stalking or harassment.  

I haven't commented in every ISW related sales thread as you've asserted. I mainly posted about ISW's attack on  a competitor-- back in 2023. I didn't even share that their CEO was getting taunting messages from ISW's CEO back then. I wanted others to know that the attack on that developer was from a competitor and I knew some of it to be false information. I could share that at this forum and I did.  I haven't commented in recent ISW sales threads. This thread was about an acquisition and that's what I commented on until your post attacking me. 

I get that you may love the developer.  But going through my past posts, making false, inflated claims, all for a personal attack to try to keep another forum member from posting because you don't agree with them is definitely not in the realm of good behavior. When you assembled some quotes from my past posts from 2023 you could find that mentioned ISW, that definitely reflects a forum member targeting another forum member. It does seem very stalkerish. It's definitely not normal, friendly behavior. 

If you find that comparable to my sharing my personal relevant knowledge and experience with a developer's employees and the developer himself in a forum of users, I'd disagree that it's comparable.  You're a stranger who doesn't know me, or have any knowledge of what I've shared,  who's trying to make a case to discredit me and intimidate me from posting. I find that stalkerish and harassing. As far as me editing my posts, I definitely do that to attempt to shorten a post or fix grammatical errors, not to change a point. But the fact that you obsessed over my post to notice that combined with you stalking my past posts is odd. 

Accept that other people may have experiences, insights, and opinions, that may not always be the same as yours. You can love this developer and even post that,  and it won't result in my attempting to cancel those posts as you've attempted to do with mine. We don't have to all think alike to get along. 

Edited by PavlovsCat