Current BandLab membership sale is still on at $112 per year

53 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

I think Noel closed the thread because he just got tired hearing the same complaints and negativity ad infinitum.
Noel is well aware (and acknowledged) that many of us are not interested in a subscription model. 
To what degree he has of influencing decisions in that matter I do not know.

This. This topic has been beaten to death. We're aware some people do not like subscriptions. Having someone stand on a soapbox and then complain when we try and move on gets old real fast and changes nothing. We've given people plenty of opportunity to discuss it over the past year.  It starts getting disrespectful, which in turn becomes a violation of terms on this forum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

This. This topic has been beaten to death. We're aware some people do not like subscriptions. Having someone stand on a soapbox and then complain when we try and move on gets old real fast and changes nothing. We've given people plenty of opportunity to discuss it over the past year.  It starts getting disrespectful, which in turn becomes a violation of terms on this forum.

Who was disrespectful? I didn't observe a post that I was even mildly disrespectful  in that thread.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Those posts were removed when the thread was locked.

Fair enough regarding the deleted posts I never saw. I thought perhaps you were referring to Bapu, my or other posts I saw in the thread,  which were respectful. It was my first time voicing my opinion to BandLab and it appears that you're characterizing all of the comments in the thread -- which includes Bapu's and my very civil, respectful comments -- as "standing on a soapbox" and "complaining" and that is a surprisingly offensive communication to customers from someone representing a brand. If there was some window where customers were invited to give their feedback that has closed, I was unaware of it. But the idea that customer feedback is now unwelcome is problematic, IMO. 

All I'm trying to determine-- as are many others as well -- is whether BandLab has made a definitive decision to go subscription only or not. It's disappointing that a discussion on the matter was censored.  I'm simply trying to decide if I should continue starting new projects in Cakewalk or transition to Studio One Pro based on whether or not Sonar is going to be available with a perpetual license. I have no ill will for BandLab if they are only offering subscriptions,  it's simply not the right model for me as a customer. 

UPDATE: The below video was in my Facebook feed, an influencer's video wondering if BandLab is going to provide clear messaging on whether or not they will offer perpetual licenses. I suppose the closest thing to an answer we have is customers being criticized for bringing up the question of perpetual licenses. But, nonetheless, it's still unclear if that reflects that BandLab has decided to go subscription only or hasn't yet made a final decision. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Bapu said:

I paid for one month. I just cancelled my subscription and I'll not subscribe again. If I need to open a .cwp I'll do so with CbB as long as it lives, and after that I'll reinstall SPlat. I'll come back to the "family home" if they offer a perpetual license.

My goal is to convert all necessary .cwp file into Studio One

The inability of the dev team, to give existing users a honest and straight answer since one year, is pretty dissapointing. Every thread about this topic ends with "thats not the place to discuss it". I started with Sonar 6 Producer and now i'm regretting all my time i've invested into Cakewalk. Going Reaper now and for old projects i'll do the same as you, keep CbB and SPlat installed. Will never look back again. Thanks to all the supportive people here on this forum.  ?

Edited by SVSX
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SVSX said:

I started with Sonar 6 Producer and now i'm regretting all my time i've invested into Cakewalk.

I converted to Studio One when it was announced Sonar was discontinued and Presonus offered a crossgrade price. I don't regret my choice with starting with Cakewalk though: it was the best choice for me at the time, I picked up transferable DAW skills, and I got to know this forum. Had I started with another DAW, I'd probably still have spent as much in total, but I might not have stumbled upon this helpful community.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, antler said:

I converted to Studio One when it was announced Sonar was discontinued and Presonus offered a crossgrade price. I don't regret my choice with starting with Cakewalk though: it was the best choice for me at the time, I picked up transferable DAW skills, and I got to know this forum. Had I started with another DAW, I'd probably still have spent as much in total, but I might not have stumbled upon this helpful community.

I was thinking about Studio One  but lost interesst when they started to treat subscriction customers different then regular buyers. But Studio One looks awesome featurewise.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, SVSX said:

I was thinking about Studio One  but lost interesst when they started to treat subscriction customers different then regular buyers. But Studio One looks awesome featurewise.

That's fair enough; you should pick whichever DAW platform suits you most. Personally, I went that way because it fits my workflow, and there's tight integration with the FaderPort (both from the same company).

In my view, there have been only two ways in which I feel I've been treated differently from a subscriber:

1. I don't get their new synth (sorry, can't remember its name).
  2. In the past, I was notified via email about some new feature/s a few days later than people who had subscribed.

Given I have enough 3rd party synths, (1) doesn't bother me at all.

I don't mind about (2) because:

• I found out about the new feature/s anyway.
  • I find being notified a few days late an acceptable compromise for not paying them at fixed annual intervals or losing access to their software*.

More lately, there's been some drama around add-ons. But they can be purchased via 3rd party resellers. Don't know if it was intentional that they originally walled them off for subscribers only, or if it was a genuine oversight. As long as I can buy them if I want them, it's not an issue for me.

* This was on their previous subscription scheme; you now get a perpetual licence if you pay a certain amount.

Edited by antler
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, pwal³ said:

yeah but you don't need the extra hoo har, but the daw is top notch, so just buy a permanent license for the current version ;)

I just wanted to point out that I mostly liked your post for the use of "hoo har." It deserves a gold star, but all that was available was a like. 

Say what you want about DAW subscriptions, (I personally don't like them), believe what you want about DAW subscriptions. Just don't blame the dev team for all of this. A lot of them have been with the software through at least 3 different companies.  They have a job to do and are just trying to make the best out of a situation they have very little control of.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Grem said:

Say what you want about DAW subscriptions, (I personally don't like them), believe what you want about DAW subscriptions. Just don't blame the dev team for all of this. A lot of them have been with the software through at least 3 different companies.  They have a job to do and are just trying to make the best out of a situation they have very little control of.

How they treat and communicate with customers is always under their control.  If they don't have an answer because management hasn't made a decision or doesn't want them to release information, they can communicate that without disparaging customers as "standing on a soapbox," "complaining," and censoring their customers' voices. It's surprising to see this in 2024.  

Edited by PavlovsCat

Please see my response in Starship Krupa's thread "Whom to contact about licensing options?"

On the question of what happens when you stop the subscription:

In another thread, probably also in the private Beta sub-forum, Noel confirmed that when your subscription ends, Sonar is deactivated until you renew the subscription.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1