"Message to My Girl" Neil Finn / Split Enz Cover

PavlovsCat

Posted (edited)

This is a private (unshared) song on my SoundCloud account. I meant to redo the vocal, as I played and sang this when I had COVID and was in isolation around Christmas time last year. It was a bit of a Christmas present to my wife, as when we met, we were friends first, and bonded over loving the songwriting and singing of Neil Finn. So, isolated, I thought it might surprise her to record one of the first Neil Finn songs we both heard that turned us into fans. My singing is never great, but with COVID, it's a bit worse and an octave lower. But otherwise, I think I did a decent job. Any mixing advice is especially appreciated. Otherwise, I already realize that some good advice would be to get a better singer! 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Sounds good PC - can't beat Neil Finn (if you're interested, this was prob my fave concert - Finn family at Auckland zoo!)

I like your mixing, too. The vocals sound pretty good - only thing I'd say is that sometimes the double tracked vx sounds a bit phasey

• Thanks 1

Peter, I like your taste in music.  The Finn Bros. have long been a favorite of mine, and you did a fine job with this cover.  I might have added a little bit of 3k on your lead vocal, but that's all I heard as far as the mix goes.  Love your site!

• Thanks 1

Nice mix and performance. I like the double track effect on your voice. The parts that don't have it seem....less by comparison. I'm on my laptop listening via my Altec Lansing Mini Life Jacket, so not the best fidelity, although a sound I like and know.

I might have put a little slappy delay on the vox, just above the limits of perception.

Still wish I had your singing voice....

• Thanks 1