1st post about pricing here.

Bapu

Posted (edited)

I was eagerly waiting for BandLab to announce whether Sonar would be subscription only or whether it would also be available via a perpetual license. It appears, like Waves once did for a time, that Sonar is only going to be available via subscription. 

I'm a long time Cakewalk and Sonor user (going back to the Twelve Tone days, even before Sonar was introduced) and have been very happy with what BandLab has done with Cakewalk. Giving us several years of the product for free is more than generous. However, I cannot justify a subscription for my music hobby, and if Sonar is going to remain subscription-only, I regret that I will be transitioning away from BandLab to Studio Pro One (I own a perpetual license, but have been primarily using Cakewalk). 

I hope that BandLab management will reconsider it's decision and offer  a perpetual license option, as I, like many hobbyists, greatly prefer it over subscriptions. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

6 hours ago, Bapu said:

No perpetual licenses?

Ed . . . don't you already own a perpetual license, aka Sonar Platinum ? If you want the new stuff, you have to play the subscription game, at least for a while, until they come to their senses. I just hope someone will start a new thread here about all the great new features in Sonar, which I am really appreciating . . . well, OK maybe only a few that I use so far . . . the ability to set a Project START and END time, being able to scale up the much clearer vector graphic.

Are you waiting for perpetual Sonar to get out your wallet again ?

1 hour ago, noynekker said:

I'm waiting for a killing feature.   So far what I'm seeing is "nice" but nothing "killer" has dropped yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Prokap said:

I'm waiting for a killing feature.   So far what I'm seeing is "nice" but nothing "killer" has dropped yet.

I totally get what you're saying . . . and this will now be the forum section where you may hear about that "killer" new feature, making you consider to get out your wallet. Any suggestions about what would be an amazing new feature for you ? Or, let's just wait and see what they come up with ?

Here is a killer feature:
It does not crash for me with my i9-14900ks and MSI Godlike Max Z790 with latest bios update and opens swiftly.

But wait!  There's more! -----

It has kept a lot of familiarity with past renditions, so the learning curve is very minor.

And it has all the features I need (and a lot more than I need.)

And it looks better and better, the more I use it; even before they provide the "themes update" that they said they are working on.  I do not have any problem finding what I need to do fairly quickly.

And it has great technical staff (the bakers) that respond on this great board.

I am sure there are a lot of people that are really happy with Sonar that are not posting.

I am confident that the product will get better and better.

I am not discounting the concerns of others.  They are entitled to those concerns.   But I should also be allowed to post that I am quite happy with it and having made that choice, it works better for my life.

• Like 2

It's great that Sonar lives again. They have certainly taken their time to make sure the software is ready given the months since the announcement... But can't help but feel it's a bit underwhelming in terms of new stuff.

Not totally against the subs model (how many of us get our cars on finance!) but at the moment there's nothing there that makes me want to step up from CWBB. Also comparing what you get for 15 dollars per month compared to the Studio One + for 20  I wonder if they have the price right...

Let's hope over the next six months they add some more cool stuff to make it more tempting...

2 hours ago, Misha said:

You get to keep Studio One.   That's all.  

Nope you also get Notion and all their plug ins and sample packs, in a sub model, or you can do the Hybrid model and then you will own Studio One. 

I did it for a year or so alongside CW but found I didn't use any of the bundled stuff and found CW workflow just easier, and Studio One wasn't any more stable either. 

And they totally don't make enough of the Sound on Sound recording function which I use all the time

Won't pay for a subscription...and only offering a subscription I'm betting feels a little contentious to a few of us that bought into the "lifetime updates" in the old days, since it no longer gives an option to own it.  

Glad to see the continual development but hoping this is just a temporary strategy to see how many will give the continual revenue.

Also, I don't need any additional VSTs or VSTis, I just want a fully functional DAW without extra add-ons.  Most people that were acquiring plugins during the pandemic have far more than they will use in a lifetime.  

• Like 6

Yes, Hybrid version gets you Studio One... to be yours. Nu Sonar unplugs you as soon as your money expire. That was exactly my point.

Then (with S1 and similar) if you feel like some new features give you benefit, you continue to support company, without fear of being left without a tool if/when your money run out.

I've collected enough plugins to keep me occupied for the next three lives, I doubt Sonar (or any DAW for that matter) can surprise me in such way that it will be a decision maker. 

As long as my projects open in pre 2018 Sonar, I will not subscribe. Period. Many of us gave BL a second chance in 2018. Many patiently waited over a year for normal licenses since initial Sonar announcement. Personally, I think it's one sick game they are playing. Zero respect for the people who are holding information hostage, whoever those might be. If no standard licenses are planned in near future (within a year) , it should be made very clear, so users can make informed choices.  You, as a customer supposed to get exited when something you waited for a long time comes out. Unfortunately, this was a totally opposite experience. 

A Cakewalk user of 20 years.

• Like 3

Here we are not discussing whether Sonar is an excellent software or not.....Sonar is the best Pro Daw on the market, I have been a beta tester for 4 years and have been using the software since it was called Twelve Tone, but I compose and I arrange in many musical sectors and a professional wants to own the tools he uses.....that's all.
I don't think I'm saying absurd things

• Like 2

11 hours ago, noynekker said:

Ed . . . don't you already own a perpetual license, aka Sonar Platinum ? 

Yes and I Am also current with CbB.

No, I'm on a Sonar month to month right now but if there is no perpetual offered within a month or two, I'll drop off the sub plan. 

I've been firmly rooted in Studio One since the Gibson decision. That's where my muscle memory is today. If I need to get a .cwp into Studio One, I use azslow3's reacwp plugin to open the .cwp in Reaper and then use (a Reaper user) Moss's Project Converter to put it into DAWProject format and open that in Studio One. Some corrections need to be made for sure but most of my tests have about 90% + accuracy. I've been working with these two developers to improve their accuracy.

I still collab with 3 people currently using CbB exclusively. When I do, I sometimes make a tracking shell with tempo/time signature/markers for guidance and then give them some stems to work against.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GIM Productions said:

Here we are not discussing whether Sonar is an excellent software or not.....Sonar is the best Pro Daw on the market, I have been a beta tester for 4 years and have been using the software since it was called Twelve Tone, but I compose and I arrange in many musical sectors and a professional wants to own the tools he uses.....that's all.
I don't think I'm saying absurd things

Maybe. However I had a long discussion with Noel at NAMM (pre COVID) about the arranger in Studio One. He implemented his idea of what that should be. The end result would be the same as Studio One but the path/workflow is really odd to me compared to my muscle memory of Studio One's arranger work flow. I use Studio One's Chord track too. I'm not a huge MIDI guy so the fact that Studio One lags behind Sonar's MIDI abilities is no big deal to me. Both Sonar and Studio One are just multi-track reorders for my use.

So, I cannot say "Sonar is the best Pro Daw on the market" for me. Sonar is like my first love relationship, I remember it fondly but I'm no longer there and my new relationship makes me happy since it won't stop working if I choose to skip a major version upgrade for some period of time.

My OP is about not offering a perpetual Sonar license. I'm not against subscription models (see my signature), sometimes they are about convenience, sometimes about cost. But when it comes to a DAW I stand by my principal of perpetual or not at all. I have perpetual licenses for Mixcraft, Samplitude, Pro Tools, Studio One, Reaper, Digital Performer, Bitwig, Cubase, Harrison, Reason & Luna (technically free). All but Samplitude are current. Samplitude still works if I needed it, even though I have not paid for last two version upgrades.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I was eagerly waiting for BandLab to announce whether Sonar would be subscription only or whether it would also be available via a perpetual license. It appears, like Waves once did for a time, that Sonar is only going to be available via subscription. 

I'm a long time Cakewalk and Sonor user (going back to the Twelve Tone days, even before Sonar was introduced) and have been very happy with what BandLab has done with Cakewalk. Giving us several years of the product for free is more than generous. However, I cannot justify a subscription for my music hobby, and if Sonar is going to remain subscription-only, I regret that I will be transitioning away from BandLab to Studio Pro One (I own a perpetual license, but have been primarily using Cakewalk). 

I hope that BandLab management will reconsider it's decision and offer  a perpetual license option, as I, like many hobbyists, greatly prefer it over subscriptions. 

I'm strongly agree with this.  Please give us a perpetual license!  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

So, I cannot say "Sonar is the best Pro Daw on the market" for me. Sonar is like my first love relationship, I remember it fondly but I'm no longer there and my new relationship makes me happy since it won't stop working if I choose to skip a major version upgrade for some period of time.

I agree. I've used Live for years to work out ideas and with only a sub model available for Sonar I'm doing more and more in Live. I'm not in any sub plans with music software and don't plan on changing that. I'm keeping my eye on things here 'cuz I do like CbB ... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm curious.  You people don't seem to have much faith in that they tell us Cakewalk by Bandlab will remain FREE indefinitely. So why such discontent?  If you don't want to pay the sub DON'T! You won't be any worse off than you have been for the past 7 years.  Is there something you're worried about in this deal? Just curious.

?John B

PS I don't know about anybody else but I just got an update this morning for CbB.  That tells me the future for it is pretty secure for now at least.

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Johnbee58 said:

I'm curious.  You people don't seem to have much faith in that they tell us Cakewalk by Bandlab will remain FREE indefinitely. So why such discontent?  If you don't want to pay the sub DON'T! You won't be any worse off than you have been for the past 7 years.  Is there something you're worried about in this deal? Just curious.

?John B

I guess once (twice!) bitten... But you're right, CWBB is a great DAW right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

?John B

PS I don't know about anybody else but I just got an update this morning for CbB.  That tells me the future for it is pretty secure for now at least.

I have zero faith that Cakewalk by Bandlab will remain FREE indefinitely.  Its not the way modern business models work.  Even if it costs them $0 to leave it alone and working, its drawing potential business from Sonar.  The money/strategy folks who run companies will never allow such a thing.

• Like 1