[SOLVED] Is there a way to do a snapshot of all track parameters?

Steve_Karl

Greetings,
During the process of recording a guitar track . . . I'm just wondering if there is a way to do a snapshot of *ALL* track parameters,
i.e. without having to right click on each and every knob / fader and choose "automation snapshot"?

My mission is to emulate the recording process I ~used to use~ on analog machines, where during recording and when punching in again and again,
. . . in between takes I'd be tweaking the EQ slightly - then punch in and record a bit until I needed to stop to figure out what comes next,
and during that ~figuring it out~ . . . I'd also be tweaking the EQ on the console (which or course got recorded to tape) . . . so I'd end up with
a track that had subtle EQ and or FX changes that got recorded.

Any ideas of how this can be done without having to remember to snapshot every control after making one change?

Thanks!

Steve

Edited by Steve_Karl

generally, the automation write is the memory. otherwise you'd want to render which section with the EQ and FX before recording the next segment. or you'd create an envelope for each of the things you want to adjust. and the other option is to do the automation after you record the raw track giving you the ability to tweak and make transitions in a way the more static approach could not.

i tend to record clean (one track) and printed FX (one track). almost inevitably i re-use the raw track into an aux track with FX and automation because i have some idea to shift some aspect which the printed track would not let me do.

there is no "snapshot" per se. the envelope contains the "knowledge"

if you're doing this as sound design then if may be a different workflow.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

• Steve_Karl changed the title to [SOLVED] Is there a way to do a snapshot of all track parameters?
1 hour ago, Steve_Karl said:

Understood. 
It seems my best option is to snapshot every change. That doesn't create an envelope so I can tweak those later during final mix.

I think we can call this solved.

Adding a snapshot does create an envelope. It puts a node on the automation envelope for the snapshotted parameter.

https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Automation.15.html

i think one of the advantages of using the envelope vs snapshots - when you have write automation on, it will capture all the changes for that  track (and creates a bunch of envelopes to do it) whereas the snapshot, if not mistaken, you need to select the controls you want to snapshot and it only creates the point on an otherwise open envelope. you can always smooth and edit the envelopes laters if you need distinct shifts in settings. and remove any extraneous ones as well.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

5 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i think one of the advantages of using the envelope vs snapshots - when you have write automation on, it will capture all the changes for that  track (and creates a bunch of envelopes to do it) whereas the snapshot, if not mistaken, you need to select the controls you want to snapshot and it only creates the point on an otherwise open envelope. you can always smooth and edit the envelopes laters if you need distinct shifts in settings. and remove any extraneous ones as well.

I don't assume using an envelope necessitates of having Write Automation On.
I often just insert an envelope and manually drop nodes on it. If it's a simple track it's often faster for me to do it manually.

The downside with using write automation on, for me, for the (first post) intended use, would be you have to be *playing* the track while making the knob changes, which I'd never be doing while tweaking the EQ or FX - not to mention the excessive amount of nodes generated when using Write Automation.
Write Automation On and playing the track works great, for me, volume changes on a more complex track, but that volume envelope, written on the fly, most always seems to need fine tuning and cleanup after it's done.

Edited by Steve_Karl

just offering ideas. i mainly use automation after the fact and mostly draw the things i want. so if i've got solos, etc, then i'm performing them and then as part of the mix or sound design, using FX and automation. if i have a live FX track, i can re-amp from the clean raw track.

i think you have to stop recording to add the snapshot? so turn on the write auomation and then adjusting as you play? dunno.