Cakewalk shuts down on inserting VSTs

Detwoen

Update: The Cakewalk minidump points to Nektar LX88 DAW integration software as the culprit. I've renamed that software as .old and the crashes seem to have stopped.

Hi. Have never had any problems with CbB before and have followed the following process multiple times without problems. Now however,  I have a midi project all sequenced using an 8850 as an outboard sound module, and I now want to insert VSTs to redo with virtual instruments.  As soon as I insert any  VST (Modo bass, Kontakt etc ) CbB shuts down. No warning, just closes. It won't let me load any VST in. It takes usually about 40 secs after inserting the VST.

I've reinstalled Cakewalk, uninstalled last Windows update, done a system restore (could only do for last 2 days and the problem started 5 days ago), started the project with shift to stop anything else loading. If anyone has any suggestions. I would be eternally grateful.
Cheers Dave

Edited by Detwoen
Updated info

5 hours ago, Detwoen said:

Update: The Cakewalk minidump points to Nektar LX88 DAW integration software as the culprit. I've renamed that software as .old and the crashes seem to have stopped.

I guess you’re talking about the file “ImpactLX88+CakewalkDAWControl64.dll” located in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Surfaces. FWIW, I’ve had version 1.1.3.0 of that software running on my three computers for years without any problem. If that dll indeed is the cause of the problem, I would simply try to reinstall it.

Thanks guys. I’ve also used the software for a few years  without any problems, but about  a week ago the problem started and the mini dump pointed to that as the problem. I did reinstall but no joy. I have emailed Nektar and am waiting a reply. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Detwoen said:

Thanks guys. I’ve also used the software for a few years  without any problems, but about  a week ago the problem started and the mini dump pointed to that as the problem. I did reinstall but no joy. I have emailed Nektar and am waiting a reply. 

anything change about a week ago? windows update, cakewalk/sonar update?

A couple of windows updates. I system restored back 2 days and uninstalled the latest Windows updates. If no one else is having problems with the same config .. CbB, LX88 keyboard, DAW integration file then it’s gotta be something on my system. Strange though … just started mucking up out of the blue. 

I just made a quick & dirty test in both Sonar 2024.06 and CbB 2024.02. Everything I tested seems to work; I can e.g. navigate in Cakewalk using the transport keys on my LX88+, as well as twist the knobs in my plugins from my keyboard, using MIDI Learn. Windows 10 Pro 22H2, fully patched, including the 2024.06 cumulative upgrade (KB5039211).

An update to the Cakewalk shutting down issue.

Nektar has send me a new version of the Cakewalk Integration file and so far (fingers crossed) it seems to have done the trick. Their email said "I believe the issue you described is fixed in that version", so it infers that they may know of an  issue. I've asked for more details and am waiting their reply.

Thanks to all the guys who have offered their expertise. Much appreciated.
Cheers Dave

7 hours ago, Detwoen said:

Nektar has send me a new version of the Cakewalk Integration file and so far (fingers crossed) it seems to have done the trick.

So, what's the version number of your failing DLL, and what's the version number of this new one? And also, are you using Windows 10 or 11?

29 minutes ago, Detwoen said:

It is strange. It does mean that there’s something  else as well affecting if on my system. 

Unless you've already done so, one thing to check is that your Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables are up to date. In case you've installed some old, less well-behaved program recently, that installation might have put an older version of the Visual C++ runtime, that the Nektar program depends upon, on your system.

It seems like version 1.1.3 of "ImpactLX88+CakewalkDAWControl64.dll" contain dependencies to MSVCP120.dll and MFC120.dll. That indicates that the Redistributable package that might need to be reinstalled for that particular version would be the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable.

Of course, version 1.1.5 is most likely built upon a more modern VC++ Redistributable package. That might even be the only difference.