The Levee

I had a couple lines rolling in my head for 20 some odd years. One day last year I started writing something I called The Levee. I was just spitting words, hoping I could make sense of it. Then one day I decided to combine it with those lines about the torn bill in my wallet.

About that bill. In the mid 70s, some friends and I started a business. We were going to be concert promoters. We failed. Two years later Tom, the treasurer received a letter from the bank, stating we had an inactive account containing $100. So the 3 of us still in town, walked up to the drive up window and closed the account. Tom passed out 33 dollars, to each of us. Then asked what he should do with the remaining dollar. I took it from his hand, and tore it in 3 pieces. For years when the 3 of us would go out for a beer, we would take them out of our wallets, and line them up on the table and laugh. Mark died of kidney failure around 1992. Tom lost his battle with cancer a few years later.  I still carry my piece and Toms (His wife gave it to me after he died, she knew what it meant to us).

The only way I knew to share this was dropbox. Perhaps in the future I will learn better ways.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/iyv235ucls15vkbzrr4u3/The-Levee-6-27-2024.mp3?rlkey=ht24psvcidsp9xp945dn84vjn&st=y8nvnafm&dl=0

Very cool ..   Was that a real violin ?  Woodwind whistle worked well ..       I really enjoyed the production.

I've got quite a few songs buried away with former players who have checked out.   Musicians have an extra layer of memories you can tap into .                     Enjoyed it ..        mark