Sharing your Bandlab masterpiece with other musicians...

I'm curious, I'd like to know how musicians/producers communicate their project ideas to other musicians nowadays using smartphones. I've had great success with cats that have desktops/laptops or Macs, but occasionally I have to deal with musicians that don't have any of these. All they have is a smartphone.  I usually just circumvent them and use other musicians. But, I think that's not a good idea.

With smartphones, sending a music file, is a hassle with some SMS due to file size. I've tried WhatsApp, but some cats are not that smartphone savvy or do not use it. What other simple, free ways are there to share a project music file via a smartphone?

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question, but there are a lot of bedroom producers here such as myself who use Cakewalk and have tons of great music and great ideas. I hope I'm not breaking any rules.

You could always use BandLab itself? 

Cakewalk can upload your ideas as a new BandLab project, and you can invite others to add to it if you want.  BandLab will run on most browsers, and also iPhone, iPad & Android devices.

Best of all, it's free.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I tried to set up albums on Bandlab, but I found that the upload of larger files nearly always failed, and that the retries often went back to the beginning, only to also fail at some different point. I would end up with multiple incomplete uploads for longer songs. Support were not able to fix the issue. I ended up just uploading to basic cloud services that are not as good, because they don't allow streaming, and are not tailored to albums per se, but at least the file transfers worked.

3 hours ago, Mr No Name said:

I had the idea of a cloud based DAW about 7 years ago, wish I would have patented it, could have been rich.

Don't feel too bad, AI is coming for all of our ideas anyway.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Great idea. But yeah...AI? ☹️

I am an aficionado of the 70s, the golden years. Decade of the producers. AI may mean the end of it all. The beginning of the end of natural creativity.

Edited by Dreamer

On 6/29/2024 at 8:27 PM, msmcleod said:

You could always use BandLab itself? 

Cakewalk can upload your ideas as a new BandLab project, and you can invite others to add to it if you want.  BandLab will run on most browsers, and also iPhone, iPad & Android devices.

Best of all, it's free.

its a game changer! one of the BEST features for sure! I have turned so many people on to bandLab I might need a commission. LOL it’s a crime that more people don’t know about this.

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2024 at 11:42 PM, John Faughey said:

its a game changer! one of the BEST features for sure! I have turned so many people on to bandLab I might need a commission. LOL it’s a crime that more people don’t know about this.

I am glad this is working for someone. It's not worked for me though, and I've decided to pull all my albums off Bandlab now. There are two reasons. I've already mentioned that repeated upload aborts meant I couldn't upload larger files, even after dozens of attempts. On top of that, I just want to share music with non-musicians, and forcing them to set up an account and fill in personal preference information before being able to listen to anything has put them all off.

I have not yet come up with an alternative site. Still looking...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Peters said:

I am glad this is working for someone. It's not worked for me though, and I've decided to pull all my albums off Bandlab now. There are two reasons. I've already mentioned that repeated upload aborts meant I couldn't upload larger files, even after dozens of attempts. On top of that, I just want to share music with non-musicians, and forcing them to set up an account and fill in personal preference information before being able to listen to anything has put them all off.

soundclick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

bandlab let's me upload WAV files (50-75mb) no problem. other sites like reverbnation, soundcloud, soundclick, broadjam (and most others) etc require a paid subscription to upload WAV files.

Sound Click lets you upload Wave files and even Videos in the free version. And you can listen to your friends music without logging in, you just might get adds. That's how they all work. Don't like adds?  then pay the fee.

Sound Cloud became weird so I abandoned it. I also have a Reverb nation account kicking around somewhere but there must be a reason I never use it, I forget. 

15 hours ago, Mark Peters said:

That’s a drag that it doesn’t work the way you need it. It works great for my needs. When I am working with different artist at the end of the session, I can just upload it to bandlab and just send them the invite and they can obsess over the session in the car ride home.LOL they also can then open the session as a stereo file and add ideas that I can just open back up in sonar. I upload my albums for streaming services through distrokid. I don’t use the bandlab service for that. But you are correct. You do have to sign up and give your personal info.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I somehow missed SoundClick when I was searching for alternatives.

Last night I uploaded one album to SoundCloud, which seems to work OK, but the free account is limited and I doubt I'll be able to upload the rest of my stuff without hitting the limit.

I'm trying Jamendo now - uploading a different album as I type this. It appears to offer unlimited free uploads.

I wish I had kept better notes on the problems I had with uploading to BandLab. I do know that I managed to get one file of 122 Mb uploaded, but that appears to have been a bit of a fluke.

Perhaps my question was not worded correctly? I think this has sidetracked. I was asking about androids, iPhone apps for sharing music between musicians via smartphones. A lot of my musician friends don't even have PC's or Macs anymore. Just phones.

• Like 1

what are your friends then doing their recording, mix, etc on then? just phone apps? and what do you mean by sharing? listening or performing/editing? sharing is easy - many many many sites for sharing music. performing and editing reliably across phone OSes etc - not really...

Edited by Glenn Stanton