Install Platinum before Nu Sonar to access Command Center extras?

I have the sub for Nu Sonar. I downloaded, installed, and logged into the Cakewalk Command Center to install the extras like the Drum Replacer and Pro Channel plugins.

I tried to install the extras, but keep getting the message that I don't have the correct program installed, and the extras refuse to install.

So... Do I need to install Platinum to get the extras from my old account?

Do I need to uninstall Nu Sonar, install Platinum, then reinstall Nu Sonar to keep everything working properly?

Is there a better method? 

Good question and I'd be curious myself. Generally we are told you always install from the oldest to the newest version. I found out this seems solid advice. 

A month ago I installed Sonar Home Studio out of curiosity wanting to compare it to Next. I had Sonar installed. 

Everything seemed ok but then I started having Sonar crash for no reason. I submitted the Dump files and staff advised me to do a fresh install of Sonar. I lost all my personal settings in preferences. All my Key bindings etc.  And the weirdest thing is Sonar now was using the Black Splat icon on the desktop. I couldn't get it to change. So this is sort of the reason we follow that advice and start with run CCC first and then install Sonar. ( Cakewalk ) 

• Like 1

Damn. That's a loss to lose all your settings.

Is there a way to backup the settings in Sonar?

Luckily I haven't done any customizations. Just putting the program through the paces to make sure everything works like I need it to.

I'll uninstall Sonar, install SPlat, and then reinstall Sonar.

Thanks for the answer.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 2:23 AM, John Vere said:

Everything seemed ok but then I started having Sonar crash for no reason. I submitted the Dump files and staff advised me to do a fresh install of Sonar. I lost all my personal settings in preferences. All my Key bindings etc.

Part of my daily back up routine runs a batch file that saves specific Cakewalk registry keys to various separate .reg files.  (Control Bar, Keybindings, colours, Recent_file_list, VST inventory, etc).  Then all I have to do to restore just that component, I double click on the respective .reg file.

On 6/24/2024 at 6:53 PM, Promidi said:

Part of my daily back up routine runs a batch file that saves specific Cakewalk registry keys to various separate .reg files.  (Control Bar, Keybindings, colours, Recent_file_list, VST inventory, etc).  Then all I have to do to restore just that component, I double click on the respective .reg file.

Are you will to share the backup routine and batch file?

On 6/22/2024 at 6:08 PM, Resonant Serpent said:

Damn. That's a loss to lose all your settings.

Is there a way to backup the settings in Sonar?

Luckily I haven't done any customizations. Just putting the program through the paces to make sure everything works like I need it to.

I'll uninstall Sonar, install SPlat, and then reinstall Sonar.

Thanks for the answer.

You shouldn't lose any settings when installing an earlier product, as all of the config files & registry settings go into their own directory.

Even uninstalling a product leaves your config files & registry settings intact - this is deliberate, so you can uninstall / re-install without losing anything.

There are however some shared components that all products will share - examples include Pro Channel modules, internal synths (e.g. TTS-1), and utility apps such as the plugin scanner.  Normally the installers won't overwrite a newer version of a common component, but there is always a danger that it might. This is why you should re-install the latest product after installing something like SONAR Platinum... definitely re-install CbB or Sonar after installing something as old as SONAR 3!

As far as backing up your settings, in the Sonar Preferences there is a "Backup / Restore Settings" section under Customization.  There you can save your complete configuration as a single file, and restore it as necessary.

You can even have different configurations and use desktop shortcuts to launch Sonar with the configuration you require.  Instructions on doing this is included in the latest help documentation.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jm52 said:

Are you will to share the backup routine and batch file?

Not really as the entries are specific to my system.

The individual entries make use of “regedit” with the "/e" command-line option.

So for instance, if I want to back up my Cakewalk by Bandlab Control Bar, I add the following entry in my batch file.

regedit /e "D:\CbB Backup\CbB Control Bar.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core\MCBControlBar"

11 hours ago, msmcleod said:

You shouldn't lose any settings when installing an earlier product, as all of the config files & registry settings go into their own directory.

Even uninstalling a product leaves your config files & registry settings intact - this is deliberate, so you can uninstall / re-install without losing anything.

There are however some shared components that all products will share - examples include Pro Channel modules, internal synths (e.g. TTS-1), and utility apps such as the plugin scanner.  Normally the installers won't overwrite a newer version of a common component, but there is always a danger that it might. This is why you should re-install the latest product after installing something like SONAR Platinum... definitely re-install CbB or Sonar after installing something as old as SONAR 3!

As far as backing up your settings, in the Sonar Preferences there is a "Backup / Restore Settings" section under Customization.  There you can save your complete configuration as a single file, and restore it as necessary.

You can even have different configurations and use desktop shortcuts to launch Sonar with the configuration you require.  Instructions on doing this is included in the latest help documentation.

I uninstalled everything, then installed Platinum, and then the latest version of Nu Sonar. That allowed me to install everything on the Command Center.

But, Discord won't work while Nu Sonar is running. There's some error with the driver not being released in the background, and I kept getting knocked off and having to restart Discord. Had to cancel my sub.

3 hours ago, Resonant Serpent said:

I uninstalled everything, then installed Platinum, and then the latest version of Nu Sonar. That allowed me to install everything on the Command Center.

But, Discord won't work while Nu Sonar is running. There's some error with the driver not being released in the background, and I kept getting knocked off and having to restart Discord. Had to cancel my sub.

If you're using WASAPI Exclusive it'll take exclusive control of the audio driver. Setting it to WASAPI Shared will share it with other apps.

Alternatively, check "Suspend Audio Engine When Sonar Is Not in Focus" within Preferences->Audio->Playback and Recording.

19 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If you're using WASAPI Exclusive it'll take exclusive control of the audio driver. Setting it to WASAPI Shared will share it with other apps.

Alternatively, check "Suspend Audio Engine When Sonar Is Not in Focus" within Preferences->Audio->Playback and Recording.

I posted the issue in this thread. I think something changed between CbB and Sonar. 

This may or may not be related. I still have sonar platinum installed and have all my extras when using CW by Bandlab. My question  involves the style dial FX in the prochannel. They are no longer available to me. They used to be. But recently I went to use one and it was not there. Any ideas? I have done a lot of searches, found some things that seemed like it would help but in the end they did not. They are there when I run Sonar Platinum and they were there when I was run the new Sonar, which I am not using right now as I am not paying monthly. Was there an update along the way to CW by Bandlab that got rid of these somehow?

Posted (edited)

You know, this might be the same situation with the Bluetube Nomad effects.  Back in 2018 when I first installed the free CbB I uninstalled X3  because I thought I wouldn't need it anymore but soon I took notice that those plugins weren't there.  I asked tech support here and was told that I needed to reinstall X3.  When I did I regained access to the Nomads.

?John B

EDIT-I should say I GAINED access to the Nomads in CbB.  Just to clarify. ?

Edited by Johnbee58