RVNC and Sonobus

I have been using VNC then RVNC for years to login to the studio computer and adjust a volume after listening to a mix different places like the car. John Vere introduced me to Sonobus. It is super! Now I can actually mix in my car or another  room.  It has been nice to be able to do this. RVNC just shut down all the free accounts. So, I am looking for a replacement for it. I have Anydesk installed, but I’m not all that happy with it. I also have NoMachine installed. It is about the same. Any of you guys have a free remote app you like? Need windows and iPhone/iPad connections.  I also have Teamviewer and I like it but they have closed down my free account twice  so….

Any free suggestions would be great. 

It worked so well. With SonoBus you could hear everything in the car. With the addition of RVNC you could edit it while you listen in the car. Or from anywhere you have internet or  WIFI.  Hey John thanks again for Sonobus. It is great! If I was Meng I would be looking into this. 

Posted (edited)

Yes $150-250 per year rent for RVNC. Looking for good free virtual desktop app to use with Sonar, Sonobus, and a windows/iPhone-iPad connection.  Wow just thinking, wouldn’t it be great to have that built in!

Edited by Max Arwood
Clarification added
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

Yes $150-250 per year rent for RVNC. Looking for good free virtual desktop app to use with Sonar, Sonobus, and a windows/iPhone-iPad connection.  Wow just thinking, wouldn’t it be great to have that built in!

The reason RealVNC costs is due to the encryption it offers - so unless you intend to connect remotely over the internet (as opposed to over a local network), you can use any number of free VNC servers/clients (e.g. TightVNC).  Even Microsoft's Remote Desktop (which is built into Windows), will do the same job.

If you're only ever connecting to devices across your own home network, save yourself some money and use the free tools.

FWIW - I've got RealVNC set up to listen on two ports:  one has encryption for remote access, the other has no encryption but is firewalled to the outside world at my router.  Because the VNC protocol  is universal, I can use any VNC client to access my PC on the unencypted port, including those on Mac, iPhone and Linux.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey that's way to much so I see what you are saying. 

Just thinking out loud here.. My son has a Behringer X16 Air. It can mix using the wi fi network. I'm pretty sure that it might also send midi and control Sonars Mixer? no sure. But what this made me think is there might be a control surface that uses WiFi ?