MIX TEMPLATE - IS IT POSSIBLE?

Milton Sica

Question

The question is: is there a way to apply a mixing template to an existing project.

Scenario:

1 - Open project with x tracks, y buses.
2 - Execute or load a mixing template that parameterizes all tracks and buses just like the template, placing volumes, pan, plugins, etc. in the same format and parameters as the template?

This is not a track model, but a mix model.

10 answers to this question

Yes this is what Mix Recall is for. 

But! you cannot apply mix recall to a totally different layout the projects have to be exactly the same track and bus layout. And named the same too ( I think?)  

If the tracks are all the same it works brilliantly. 

For me it's best application is with multitrack live recordings. Then each project is exactly the same. You get song #1 sounding the way you want it and you save it as Mix scene 1.  no point naming it as this won't show in the folder.  

Now open song #2 and using the browser go to song #1 project folder and find the mix scene folder.  drag Song #1 Mix(1).CWM  from there and drop it on the track pane of song #2. All the changes including effects and even instruments you added will populate song #2.  It's amazing and I don't think any other Daw can do this trick. 

I have a feeling not many people even realize that it is there. I use it on all my original songs and in that case I always save a mix scene and in this case I do rename it with the date after I export a mix. This accomplishes 2 things. I can revert to a earlier mix and it also shows me I have opened the most up to date version of the project and not some back up copy. 

Screenshot(183).png.aea744b0e4df7a1278ef7cdccf6864c1.png

Edited by John Vere

for sure. i have several templates - a "raw" one for when i need just a couple of instruments ready to go, a "record" template which has all of the tracks, insturments, etc ready and wired - i simply remove tracks and instruments versus adding them (most times), and a "mix" template which mirrors the record template w/o any of the instruments or MIDI tracks - everything goes into the mix template as audio (like when i do client mixes). i also have a "master" template for assembly of 2-tracks and either individually or as a "album" layout the tracks and do most of the required "paperwork" as leveling/eq/compression needed in small bits. and a "compose" template which has a couple of instruments and some "generator" tools. 

i also have a couple of variants of the record/mix which are using SSL, API, or NEVE plugins to simulate the "console" effects like channel strips vs independent plugins. i use the SSL one a bit more tha the others as clients will share their projects and many have some specific SSL settings they really like and i want to recreate those.

then i switch views with custom workspaces for tracks / console views, busses / console views, or just drag the busses/tracks back and forth on console view. very fast (for me).

some examples:

DAW template - 01 - process.svgDAW template - 02 - mix.svgDAW template - 03 - workspace.svg

Edited by Glenn Stanton

25 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

for sure. i have several templates - a "raw" one for when i need just a couple of instruments ready to go, a "record" template which has all of the tracks, insturments, etc ready and wired - i simply remove tracks and instruments versus adding them (most times), and a "mix" template which mirrors the record template w/o any of the instruments or MIDI tracks - everything goes into the mix template as audio (like when i do client mixes). i also have a "master" template for assembly of 2-tracks and either individually or as a "album" layout the tracks and do most of the required "paperwork" as leveling/eq/compression needed in small bits. and a "compose" template which has a couple of instruments and some "generator" tools. 

i also have a couple of variants of the record/mix which are using SSL, API, or NEVE plugins to simulate the "console" effects like channel strips vs independent plugins. i use the SSL one a bit more tha the others as clients will share their projects and many have some specific SSL settings they really like and i want to recreate those.

some examples:

DAW template - 01 - process.svgFetching info... DAW template - 02 - mix.svgFetching info...

Sorry, but for me this doesn't work, because the photographs of the Mixing scenes, as far as I know, belong individually to each project.

How can I save a scene from a project so that it can be loaded into another project, that is, the scene can be visible?

45 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Yes this is what Mix Recall is for. 

But! you cannot apply mix recall to a totally different layout the projects have to be exactly the same track and bus layout. And named the same too ( I think?)  

If the tracks are all the same it works brilliantly. 

For me it's best application is with multitrack live recordings. Then each project is exactly the same. You get song #1 sounding the way you want it and you save it as Mix scene 1.  no point naming it as this won't show in the folder.  

Now open song #2 and using the browser go to song #1 project folder and find the mix scene folder.  drag Song #1 Mix(1).CWM  from there and drop it on the track pane of song #2. All the changes including effects and even instruments you added will populate song #2.  It's amazing and I don't think any other Daw can do this trick. 

I have a feeling not many people even realize that it is there. I use it on all my original songs and in that case I always save a mix scene and in this case I do rename it with the date after I export a mix. This accomplishes 2 things. I can revert to a earlier mix and it also shows me I have opened the most up to date version of the project and not some back up copy. 

Screenshot(183).png.aea744b0e4df7a1278ef7cdccf6864c1.png

Great ! In fact, I think very few people know about this feature.

Check if this step by step is correct:

1) Save the mixing scene of the desired project.
2) I open another project that has the same layout specifications.
3) I go to the scenes folder from the previous project and drag it to where? To the new project's scenes folder or where?

56 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Now open song #2 and using the browser go to song #1 project folder and find the mix scene folder.  drag Song #1 Mix(1).CWM  from there and drop it on the track pane of song #2. All the changes including effects and even instruments you added will populate song #2. 

Read my 1st post. To the projects track pane, just like dragging audio and midi clips. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Read my 1st post. To the projects track pane, just like dragging audio and midi clips. 

I followed the instructions, but when loading, the project is crashing.

In fact, the project must be exactly the same. That's how it works.

Edited by Milton Sica

32 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

Sorry, but for me this doesn't work, because the photographs of the Mixing scenes, as far as I know, belong individually to each project.

How can I save a scene from a project so that it can be loaded into another project, that is, the scene can be visible?

i never use the mix scenes. i use the workspaces instead since they transcend the projects... but whatever works for you will, erm, work for you..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i never use the mix scenes. i use the workspaces instead since they transcend the projects... but whatever works for you will, erm, work for you..

You see, nobody understand what they are, even long time users.  Mix scenes and Workspace are entirely different things.  Mix scenes don't care which workspace you are using. You can change workspaces at any time and it has no bearing on a Mix scene. 

The concept of the Mix scene was generally developed so you could save a project at a point when you were satisfied with the mixing stage. You save the mix scene and export the project. But then you start thinking the project might sound better with a different approach to the effects and EQ etc.  I even found I could replace different synths.  You make the changes and now save that as a new and different mix.  They assumed you were now at the mixing stage of a project and you where not going to be adding any new parts. I'm not sure what you can get away with. I know automation and Tempo are part of it. 

I haven't read the documentation in 10 years so don't quote me. I only know what always has works for me. 

It was discovered that Mix Scenes could also be applied to different but identical projects even if the Audio and Midi data was different. I have used this on dozens of live recordings where it's a whole night and 30  songs without an issue. Those projects were of course all using the same template and the only thing different was the Audio and Midi data. 

I've never had a crash. 

I have defiantly recalled mix scenes on a few projects without issues.  

I'll have to try messing with one someday and see if I can say, record a new track and recall an old scene. 

• Like 1

thanks! i fully understand mix scenes. i don't use them because my workflow is better without them. that said, if at some point i want to change, i may go back to using them like i did what? 5-6 years ago? i just find the workspace thingie more quickly configures the space and tools for a given step and let's me switch rapidly with depending on any coupling to the project file.

• Like 1