Orange Tree Samples Summer group buy - 60% off!

Yan Filiatrault

4 minutes ago, Scott H said:

I have the Hollowbody Blues which I like a lot. Does anyone own both the Jazz Archtop and the Vintage Gentleman? Which do you prefer or find yourself using more? Which of the two would best compliment the Hollybody Blues? Thanks!!!

You can buy both and resell one later!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scott H said:

I have the Hollowbody Blues which I like a lot. Does anyone own both the Jazz Archtop and the Vintage Gentleman? Which do you prefer or find yourself using more? Which of the two would best compliment the Hollybody Blues? Thanks!!!

I have all of the guitars and definitely find that there are certain guitars I use more often than others. Even though I'm doing rock music, not jazz, I find myself reaching for Jazz Archtop a lot -- very often when I'm working on a song and lay down piano (often where I start, as piano -- in the real world -- was my first instrument).  I also use it for single note parts in verses of songs. As I mentioned earlier, I used it on some of the improvised lead parts for my cover of "Can't Get it Out of My Head" and I think that's not a guitar most would expect used for that case, but I find it worked really well. I tend to use Jazz Archtop with very acoustic / unplugged and lush arrangements, as opposed to more aggressive arrangements. 

My favorite use of Vintage Gent is for crunchy guitar sounds. Some of the crunchy presets have a grit to them that reminds of Neil Young's electric guitar tone (I'm not sure if he ever used this guitar, but some of the crunchy presets remind me of his tone on some songs and maybe 90s era Jayhawks, if anyone knows them). I find it perfect for certain types of indie rock, and folk rock.  If you're a jazz musician, Greg has a strong background in jazz and could give great advice for that genre.  I love jazz, but don't have the chops to attempt it; I'm just happy to crank out a rock song. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

Listening to the three demos on the OTS site, none of them even have the crunchy presets / sound that I most enjoy from this guitar. They're all more country-ish. And while they sound excellent, they're not the sounds that I gravitate to for my uses.  Unfortunately, I don't have any songs on my SoundCloud account that prominently feature Evolution Vintage Gent (I do use it on songs, but not that I've finished and uploaded). 

@Scott H, if you haven't already heard this, the preset walkthrough for the guitars is always invaluable when researching them. I've skipped over to the preset walkthrough for Evolution Vintage Gent. But this doesn't contain a lot of my favorite crunchy presets (it only contains a fraction of the presets). 

Here's the preset walkthrough for Evolution Jazz Archtop: 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

@Greg Schlaepfer Do you have anything that shows more of the presets from Evolution Vintage Gent? My favorite presets are the crunchy ones, and I went through the video while multitasking, but it only seemed to have a few crunchy presets. Do you have any other files / examples with more of the crunchy presets? Those are what I love most with that guitar. 

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

@Greg Schlaepfer Do you have anything that shows more of the presets from Evolution Vintage Gent? My favorite presets are the crunchy ones, and I went through the video while multitasking, but it only seemed to have a few crunchy presets. Do you have any other files / examples with more of the crunchy presets? Those are what I love most with that guitar. 

For a while, instead of going through every single factory preset, I would just highlight a few of my favorite ones, like one or two clean tones, one or two crunchy ones, etc. I guess I could go back and make additional videos that show every single preset. Apart from Evolution Vintage Gent, it's the same deal with Evolution Rubber Bridge, Evolution Django Jazz, Evolution Dry Relic, and Evolution Bluegrass Banjo. Those probably could use full length preset demo videos as well.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Greg Schlaepfer said:

For a while, instead of going through every single factory preset, I would just highlight a few of my favorite ones, like one or two clean tones, one or two crunchy ones, etc. I guess I could go back and make additional videos that show every single preset. Apart from Evolution Vintage Gent, it's the same deal with Evolution Rubber Bridge, Evolution Django Jazz, Evolution Dry Relic, and Evolution Bluegrass Banjo. Those probably could use full length preset demo videos as well.

I regularly search YouTube for videos that go through all of the presets of a sample library or synth when I'm researching it. Even when the people who create these videos doesn't play well, it's still really helpful to hear all of the presets for a library when I'm deciding. I'm certain that a lot of other sample library users do the same (anyone reading this who agrees or disagrees, please share what you look for when researching guitar and bass libraries). 

As I wrote earlier, in my mind I have certain tones, characteristics, and purposes that I've assigned to each Evolution guitar in my mind.  While Evolution Vintage Gent is positioned more for country guitar and sounds great for that, I really don't do anything close to that. For me,  ai think the library is perfect for the crunchy presets. I can't think of another virtual guitar that comes anywhere close to that -- it's very raw and realistic. A lot of virtual guitars go after slick where they sound like the developers are largely mimicking each other and only going after the most well known Les Paul, Strat or whatever tones. There's not a lot of authentic indie organic vibe sounding virtual electric guitars out there, IMO. It's perfect for a Neil Young, Jayhawks, Damien Rice, Wilco, folkish indie rock with a raw electric guitar edge sound. I don't know of that's what you had in mind when you created the presets -- it may not be what you had in mind -- but for me,  that's what it's great at for my purposes. 

Edited by PavlovsCat