Musictech's Best DAWS

satya

10 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

i had to double-check who owned musictech... their marketing department really need to up their game

Caldecott Music Group is the parent company for Bandlab and NME Networks.

NME Networks is the parent company of Musictech.

Musictech says Bandlab is the best mobile DAW.

I guess it must be true. 

SONAR did not make the list?

I wonder if  they know something about SONAR that we don't.

LOL.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

I'm guessing Ableton or FL Studio. 

Interesting.  If you are a linear tracking DAW user FL will drive you crazy unless you are doing dance genres. One of the best piano rolls out there. While it may come across as a simple to use DAW it's very complex when you go deeper.

Live - seems like it was designed for a laptop.  You resize windows a lot.  Session view is underrated. 

I'm a fanboy of both but if I want to do some orchestra that is more advanced (rare for me) a staff view is needed.

• Like 2

I'm a Reason + Live user.  

Surpised Reaper or Bitwig didn't make the list.

I'm definitely not surprised Pro Tools isn't on that list.  They haven't done anything exciting since adding elastic audio, ADC - audio delay compensation and getting rid of HW as dongles to use PT (being sarcastic, of course).  I'm an ex-Pro Fools user... I have some resentment :P

Edited by Lionel
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Interesting.  If you are a linear tracking DAW user FL will drive you crazy unless you are doing dance genres. One of the best piano rolls out there. While it may come across as a simple to use DAW it's very complex when you go deeper.

Live - seems like it was designed for a laptop.  You resize windows a lot.  Session view is underrated. 

I'm a fanboy of both but if I want to do some orchestra that is more advanced (rare for me) a staff view is needed.

This guy manages to do well with classical in FL, but even he admits it poses challenges:

3 hours ago, Milan said:

I never understood the fascination with Ableton and FL, but it could be just me.

FL , for starters has lifetime free updates.  In a software world that is shifting from periodically charging for what are sometimes minor upgrades to endless subscriptions, this is huge.  In a pop world that relies more and more on computer based production, having what is often said to be the best piano roll among DAWs is also huge .  

Ableton simply has a workflow that works better with EDM than most.  Ableton also has very usable sounds and stock plugins.  It has a more modern workflow that does not assume user is coming from analog world. Pro tools and other products that have a similar workflow that emulates working with tape, are in some ways less efficient, particularly for younger users who were not raised on consoles and tape.

Both have very tight sampler/ DAW integration. Something Sonar/Cakewalk has always lacked.  Studio one does a decent job at this, but nowhere near as well as these two.