Waves Platinum $74.99 USD

ralfrobert

So if you buy Waves Platinum for $74.99 US today, that would mean you would pay $240 US in year two for WUP, and so on, and so on.... 

My favorite Waves plugins are the Abbey Road series. Right now, if I paid WUP for Abbey Road Chambers -- which sounds great but is a complete resource hog with major latency issues and if Waves fixed the latency, I would be tempted to get the new version so that I could use it in real time. But Waves charges $78.48 US for WUP for the plugin, while buying a new license costs $29.99 US during their always on "sales."

Waves should be required to have a warning label on their sales so that consumers clearly understand up front how the Waves scam -- er, I mean scheme -- works. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

I purchased this bundle right before that March 26th debacle... where Waves pretty much forced many of us to register our purchases by that date.  I wanted to wait until I registered that bundle... on my own terms.

Long story short, I don't use that bundle.  And I never intend to use any Waves products ever again.  It's just not in my workflow.  I can definitely live without Waves in my life. 

Kind of a blessing in disguise, actually.  I can easily ignore those reoccurring $29 sales and their BF/CM sales and just concentrate on other plugins.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

22 hours ago, bats brew said:

i bought the platinum bundle on sale way back in 2018,

for about $60,

and have never spent another penny on it since,

still use,

works like a charm.

no WUP involved.

Absolutely understood by everyone who has a problem with WUP. When everything is working fine, WUP is a non-issue for a user. 

However, let's say that your OS or DAW has an update -- which happens regularly -- and it causes your version of Waves plugins to stop working. If Waves has fixed the issue for the plugins you purchased in 2018, you're going to have to pay up $240 US (that's the latest ceiling price for WUP) to get those Waves plugins working again. This is a problem plenty of Apple users have faced, BTW.  And, of course, that $240 US only covers one year of updates. If your OS or DAW have additional updates during the next year that result in issues with your Waves plugins, that's going to be an additional $240 US for that year and so on, and so on.

Do you think if you were faced with having to pay $240 US to get your plugins on projects working again (and for that year only, not next year) that you would still have good feelings for Waves and their WUP practices or might that impact your perspective a little?  

Edited by PavlovsCat
Fixed typo.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Absolutely understood by everyone who has a problem with WUP. When everything is working fine, WUP is a non-issue. 

However, let's ay that your OS or DAW has an update -- which happens regularly -- and it causes your version of Waves plugins to stop working. If Waves has fixed the issue for the plugins you purchased in 2018, you're going to have to pay $240 US (that's the latest ceiling price for WUP) to get your plugins working again. This is a problem plenty of Apple users have faced, BTW.  And, of course, that $240 US only covers one year. If your OS or DAW have updates during the next year that result in issues with your Waves plugin, that's going to be an additional $240 US. 

Do you think if you were faced with having to pay $240 US to get your plugins on projects working again that you would still have good feelings for Waves and their WUP practices or might that impact your perspective a little?  

The moment my waves plugins no longer work, I will easily stop using them. There are maybe 2-3 Waves plugins that I don't have equivalents to. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I still haven't found anything as comprehensive as Waves' IR-L reverb. The included +2000 IRs are pretty impressive. Where else could I get a Ryman Auditorium if it were not for Waves?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, satya said:

Nothing interest me in the bundle except the Renaissance 

Those are worth the price. Excellent plugins.

[edit] Then they also have all the V stuff (comp and 2 EQ's), C1 and it's brother C4 Multiband, all the UltraMaximizer stuff. And you can't forget the one that always flies under the radar, Waves Tune LT.  Another of Waves plugins that gets no cred is "Studio Rack". BTW, it's free!!

Edited by Grem

On 6/20/2024 at 9:01 PM, PavlovsCat said:

So if you buy Waves Platinum for $74.99 US today, that would mean you would pay $240 US in year two for WUP

No, I wouldn't.

In the 10+ years I've been using their stuff, I've never had a bug or a compatibility problem that wasn't taken care of within the first year of a plug-in's release.

And, speaking theoretically, if I were to buy this bundle for $75 today, and then 5 or 6 years down the road ran into trouble that updating would solve, I'd wait for a deep sale and buy it again rather than spending $240 on WUP.

You don't spend 3X the purchase price of a new car to have the old one fixed.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

No, I wouldn't.

In the 10+ years I've been using their stuff, I've never had a bug or a compatibility problem that wasn't taken care of within the first year of a plug-in's release.

And, speaking theoretically, if I were to buy this bundle for $75 today, and then 5 or 6 years down the road ran into trouble that updating would solve, I'd wait for a deep sale and buy it again rather than spending $240 on WUP.

You don't spend 3X the purchase price of a new car to have the old one fixed.

Yes. As I wrote in an earlier post, if I were to buy WUP for my expired Abbey Road Chambers plugin it would cost $78.48 US, whereas buying another license costs $29.99 US. In the case of that plugin, I like it so much -- but it's such a resource hog -- that if Waves had an update that fixed that and it no longer had latency issues,  I would probably -- okay, definitely; I love the Abbey Road plugins -- buy another license for $29.99 instead of paying more than twice as much for WUP. One might argue that WUP let's you install the plugin on a second machine, but only during your WUP period.  After your WUP expires,  you're back to having only one license. 

But I'm not a fan of Waves WUP scheme, so I've otherwise stopped buying Waves plugins for a few years at this point, and as you're well aware, there's a lot of excellent alternatives out there. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

The WUP scheme exists because people keep paying it. It's similar to ransoms. If people keep paying, the perpetrators keep on doing it.

If enough people boycott WUP and Waves altogether and their plugins, sooner or later they should realise just how damaging it is for their brand reputation and with sales of WUP tanking it would make more sense to drop it. Although unfortunately their marketing and tactics do exploit people just getting into buying plugins, which makes it harder. Like Peter said earlier, that's where its good to make their scheme known to starters before they fall for it.

I really dislike venture capitalists, but Waves are one case where a VC could actually be better than than it is now!

I'd actually be happy if Soundwise took them over 🤣

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1