Who is new Sonar aimed at?

1 hour ago, Wookiee said:

@Misha ironically Cakewalk Pro Audio had a looping function. You could create a single clip and loop it for the length of your song without dragging it out like you do now.

Even Cakewalk for MS-DOS let us select the number of times a track would loop.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Even Cakewalk for MS-DOS let us select the number of times a track would loo p. 

You don't have to convince me. I know :)  

On 6/20/2024 at 1:25 PM, AndyB01 said:

FWIW, I can't make head nor tail of Ableton so must be a generational thing.

It's just a different paradigm that has its roots in live performance, as opposed to multitrack recording.

Think of "loops" as "riffs." Suppose you have a four-piece band. You count off, and point to the drummer who starts playing a drum riff. Then you point to the bass player, who comes in on the drum downbeat and plays a bass riff. Then the rhythm guitarist comes in and plays a riff. That's just like triggering individual loops in Ableton Live. You can also tell individual musicians when to play a different riff.

You can also trigger "scenes." This is like pointing to all four members and saying "on 4-3-2-1, start playing the chorus." Then they all switch to riffs that are in the chorus. Another "scene" would be where they all switch to a verse.

Congrats! Now you not only know how Ableton Live works, but Sonar's Matrix View. :)

• Like 1

I've been a Loyal Cakewalk user since 1997 when I bought my first PC starting at Cakewalk Pro Audio 5. I started using the DAW based on a recommendation from Doug Marks Metal Method. I've been a loyal customer for 27 years and I did the annual enrollment to Band Lab in order to get access to use NEXT and the new the mew Sonar.

Thank you (Band Lab) for saving Sonar from the incompetent fools at Gibson and for resurrecting a titan in the Digital Audio Workstation space.

Now that that is all out there, I don't really see the advantage of NEXT or the need for it. Why would I want to use a reduced capability application like NEXT when I could just start my project in Sonar? As a guitar player, I tend to transcribe my song ideas into Guitar Pro 8 and then upload the midi when I'm happy with the results into Cakewalk by Band Lab, so I can use profession my Kontakt 7 libraries and more professional VST. If NEXT was more like Guitar Pro 8 I would use it more, but it really seems like a failure to me out of the blocks. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me...

First impressions... The new Sonar seems like a huge step backward from Cakewalk by Band Lab and even Sonar Platinum.  The console view may be higher resolution interface and according to Mike from Creative Sauce (on YouTube) has some advantages like Sprectum analysis in each track pane, but to me the Cakewalk by Band Lab interface looks a lot more professional and cleaner. I prefer it from an esthetics point of view.

Why didn't you start the new software build at the latest Band Lab version or is it an IP ownership issue? Since I paid for the privilege of using the new Sonar, I have been using it lately, but really can't help feeling like it's a major step backward and that I should maybe start hedging my bets on a new DAW instead. Most of my musician friends are using Reaper.

I don't really want to start having to learn a new DAW. I will have to wait and see what future updates. I hope the development management team is listening to your legacy customers and will return to the Cakewalk we all knew and loved. Also, as other have stated above I prefer the annual upgrade plan to the subscription plan that Microsoft started. I don't need a new upgrade every other week unless Microsoft does some major upgrade that breaks the current version.  

• Like 2

Good morning,

I am an old Cakewalk user and I was registered on their site, where I had purchased some products such as Sonar, Z3TA+2 and their other VSTs. Days ago, in my account, I changed the reference email, and in doing so I was waiting for confirmation for the changes I made, but this confirmation never arrived. This way I no longer have the ability to access their old site and so I no longer have access to my products either.

Can anyone tell me how to get my Cakewalk account back?

On 6/20/2024 at 1:24 PM, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

I built a crazy new multimedia computer in Dec and am yet to install Bandlab CW even though it is all I have used exclusively for the past few years.  I don't want to bloat my computer with something I will not be using in the very near future. I am still debating if I should install temporarily so I can finish some projects up or just start them from scratch in Samplitude Pro X7

Yeah.... Stop using the DAW you are used to,,, and pay big bucks to prove a point of some sort....

• Like 2