Melda: Hexadecimal Anniversary (Everything 55% off (or more - up to 91% off)

MusicMan

Melda: Hexadecimal Anniversary (Everything 55% off (or more)

Some pretty low sale prices. A few examples:

Can use the code from my signature / PM to reduce by 20% further if you haven't purchased from them before :)

https://www.meldaproduction.com/16thAnniversary

Edited by MusicMan
  • Thanks 1

• MusicMan changed the title to Melda: Hexadecimal Anniversary (Everything 55% off (or more - up to 91% off)
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone use MLimiterX and can recommend it?

I already have Elevate, Pro-L2, TDR and a few others. I don't mind having a selection as different source material sometimes works with one limiter more than another. But I would want it to be in that same kind of level, otherwise there's no point buying (even though it's cheap!)

Same with MUltraMaximizer. Does anyone ever use this over their alternatives?

9 hours ago, Fleer said:

With Melda I’m always thinking mmmmmm

Hit download on MeldwayGrand before going to bed and have just been checking it out.. that's pretty mmmmmmm 🙂

I haven't even made it through hardly any of the presets, but already found some very nice and useable ones!

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I do I do! I put it in my mastering chain, usually switched into M/S mode. It's my go-to mastering limiter.

Thanks Erik! Out of curiosity, what other limiters are in your kit that you like as well these days?

And I was reading a comment by you a while back where I think you mentioned that MDynamics covers all of this as well, although not as tailored specifically to Limiting. I checked out their page and they only seem to mention the safety limiter for that one. Does the MDynamics cover all the dynamics needs and this is just more convenient, or has that changed?

10 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Does anyone use MLimiterX and can recommend it?

I already have Elevate, Pro-L2, TDR and a few others. I don't mind having a selection as different source material sometimes works with one limiter more than another. But I would want it to be in that same kind of level, otherwise there's no point buying (even though it's cheap!)

Same with MUltraMaximizer. Does anyone ever use this over their alternatives?

I've used MLImiterX becase it is CPU efficient, and the clean/punchy can be nice for a quick and easy effect.  I wouldn't say it is better than some of the other high end options sonically but I do grab it sometimes.

Own but havent' used the other one, as Ultra Maximizing isn't my thing.  I want dynamics.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

Hit download on MeldwayGrand before going to bed and have just been checking it out.. that's pretty mmmmmmm 🙂

I haven't even made it through hardly any of the presets, but already found some very nice and useable ones!

Meldway Grand is no brainer at $10 if you have the drive space, but honestly I'd pay the extra and get LE when on sale which will give you all the instruments.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I've used MLImiterX becase it is CPU efficient, and the clean/punchy can be nice for a quick and easy effect.  I wouldn't say it is better than some of the other high end options sonically but I do grab it sometimes.

Own but havent' used the other one, as Ultra Maximizing isn't my thing.  I want dynamics.

It doesn't necessarily need to be better than those ones, just on par so that it's worth the time cycling through them when I'm looking for the best fit. If I always choose one of the others then it's not much use. But if it's very CPU efficient then it might still be an option for limiting tracks, or busses. Depending on the latency. I currently use DMG TrackLimit for that which is great, but not always the right fit. I hadn't been thinking about individual tracks. Sounds like it's worth giving it a demo.

I prefer dynamics in general too. But some genres call for it and with others you just need to get it into the same ballpark for it to sit well. It would be much better if the loudness wars were actually over across the board.

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Meldway Grand is no brainer at $10 if you have the drive space, but honestly I'd pay the extra and get LE when on sale which will give you all the instruments.

That's what I bought. I still haven't downloaded all the drums yet though (Studio2008 - 2018) and DrumEmpire2020 and I thought I had already just installed it, but I just scrolled down in their downloader and found I haven't installed PowerStrings yet apparently! 🤣

Just now, MusicMan said:

That's what I bought. I still haven't downloaded all the drums yet though (Studio2008 - 2018) and DrumEmpire2020 and I thought I had already just installed it, but I just scrolled down in their downloader and found I haven't installed PowerStrings yet apparently! 🤣

I wouldn't download the Drums unless you have MDrummer.

Don't think enough of the presets in SoundFactory use them to make it worthwhile

Would install PowerStrings though.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I wouldn't download the Drums unless you have MDrummer.

Don't think enough of the presets in SoundFactory use them to make it worthwhile

Would install PowerStrings though.

That's handy to know. The downloads aren't small! I don't mind if they're worthwhile, but if they're not then happy to skip them. PowerStrings is now installed :)

14 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Thanks Erik! Out of curiosity, what other limiters are in your kit that you like as well these days?

And I was reading a comment by you a while back where I think you mentioned that MDynamics covers all of this as well, although not as tailored specifically to Limiting. I checked out their page and they only seem to mention the safety limiter for that one. Does the MDynamics cover all the dynamics needs and this is just more convenient, or has that changed?

The limiters in my kit include Unlimited (a really good freeware one), the ones in Ozone, and Boost11. Sometimes I use an all-in-one on the master bus, like T-Racks One or bx_masterdesk. For simple safety limiting, I put an instance of Kilohearts Limiter on every softsynth track, set to clamp at -3dB.

A limiter can be a pretty simple thing, it's a compressor with the ratio cranked over 20%, so if all you want from it is limiting, MCompressor and any number of other compressors can do limiting. We usually want some fanciness, though, in our bus limiters.

Here's are screenshots of one of the MDynamics limiter "devices" or "easy screens," both with the faceplate and without:

image.png.334dfa51f6fa71c2354e02fce823c3dc.png

image.thumb.png.89afae41d2c0b059ab3770eb6dc14249.png

I also popped open the multiparameter panel. With devices/easy screens, the knobs on the faceplate are connected to multiparameters. Multiparameters is their term for taking multiple different plug-in parameters and tying them together so that you can adjust them with a single control. There are also modulators, which allow you to modulate any parameter, such as with a waveform (LFO) or envelope follower (to set up things like autowahs).

Someday I'd like to learn enough to make my own easy screens.

Aside from the 3 limiter devices, there are a couple of limiter presets from before there were devices.

When I first started taking notice of MeldaProduction, Vojtech was more outspoken and idiosyncratic, more steadfast in his views. There didn't need to be any MLimiters because what a limiter does is so close to what a compressor does that all you need is to make an MDynamics that is versatile enough to do anything you could possibly want to do in regard to dynamics.

He was very down on "vintage mojo" and while I sometimes want some of that, like with my beloved T-Racks 670 (a compressor that's modeled on a device that was called a "limiter" by its manufacturer), I agreed with him in principle, that there was no reason to be constrained by the limitations of decades ago. In his philosophy at the time, if you wanted some analog "mojo," that mojo comes down to non-linear frequency response and added noise and there's no need to build that into a software compressor. If you want to fiddle with your frequency response, use a little EQ, if you want floor noise, use a noise generator. Both of which you can have for free in the bundle.

He's since either mellowed on that or at least conceded that not everyone understands things as well as he does with his likely genius IQ and engineering education. Sure, you can make a credible LA/2A using MCompressor and MEQualizer, but who knows where to begin? And why would you want to, when IK or Waves will sell you a pre-rolled solution for $30 that you can just throw on your tracks and get the sound of an LA/2A without having to reverse engineer it yourself?

Who cares if MDynamics can be used to emulate any dynamic processor if very few people are actually savvy enough to do it? That's why I have two different categories for dynamics processors and EQ's. There's the precision ones (MeldaProduction, Kilohearts, FabFilter, iZotope) and the character ones. I prefer Melda for the precision stuff and T-Racks and brainworx for the character stuff. Of course there's plenty of overlap, Melda now have their "vintage modeled" processors like MTurboEQ and MTurboComp, and IK have paragraphic EQ's and compressors that don't try to emulate anything, but I tend to like IK's character ones better and Melda's precision ones better.

Here's a strong suggestion about MeldaProduction plug-ins: since they make it easy enough, pop open the toolbar that most of them have on the right hand side and flip it between L+R and M+S, try it sometime. Especially with ones that affect dynamics, like compressors and limiters, but it also can apply to others as well. If you haven't tried this, do it and listen to what happens to your stereo image. M/S dynamics manipulation is one of my favorite mixing tricks, mostly because as a listener, I love ear candy like that myself, especially with electronic pieces. Oddly, it wasn't a MeldaProduction product but a T-Racks product that first turned me on to it, turns out that their 670 has a couple of presets that take advantage of the M/S capability and I tried one and was immediately sold on it.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2