Recorded Audio (Saxophone) Playing Back at Least a Tone Lower than Played

Stephen Power

Question

I don't often record 'live' into Cakewalk, but today I played my soprano saxophone, added EW Space (Brass default) and did a Low pass filter with the EQ,

The playback, both on export and when played back in track view is about a whole tone lower than played live. I can't be sure of the actual difference but it's significant, and I've double-checked by playing live along with the track in Cakewalk and in Windows media player.

I've read in this forum, that it could be due to a sample rate mismatch, but I'm not sure what needs to be matched. The default sample rate under 'preferences' is set to 4800, and that's the same as the export sample rate.

UPDATE: I've just checked the control panel and sample rate is showing as 44.1. However, when I click on it and go to preferences it shows default set to 4800 (see screenshots).

Could it be that it should be matched to the audio interface - a Berhinger UMC22? Or something else?

Any advice on how and where to set the sample rate would be appreciated (in newbie speak please), or thoughts on anything else I could try to fix it, is appreciated.

sample rate 1.png

sample rate two.png

Edited by Stephen Power

17 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Stephen Power said:

Could it be that it should be matched to the audio interface - a Berhinger UMC22?

Yes, Cakewalk and the interface must be the same.
The sampling rate of 48,000 is for new projects.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Yes, Cakewalk and the interface must be the same.
The sampling rate of 48,000 is for new projects.

Thanks, but the confusing things are that: 1) It was a new project (set up for the recording), and 2) the Berhinger manual says it can sample at 44.1 and 48, 000. Although, there no switch on it, so I assume it's automatic?

an important step - decide which sample rate you want to work with - 44.1 or 48? (or some folks go 88.2 and 96). then make sure ALL of your Windows system settings, your ASIO, applications, etc settings are ALL using the same sample rate. this does a couple of nice things - one - all your apps now use the same sample rate so things won't mysterious be trying to flip around, and two - nevermind, there is no two.

so check your Windows audio settings - both playback and record. in my system (being a dinosaur) i have them set to 44.1 (and 24-bit / 32-bit (not that i use 32-bit)).

image.png.42b7c7b5032fc91ff91ced9a87e43236.png

image.png.2df1c6688591bf40db4485384062af35.png

then my ASIO for the IO is set to 44.1

image.png.97283eb336bd7baf4da8869384171279.png

then my CW is set for, yep, 44.1 and 24-bit, and in the audio settings, i have 24-bit, 24-bit, and 24-bit.

image.png.788f78e5818a2784582614162a89dfdd.png

image.png.c203511e0e83615703fcfdb59e210d77.png

and voila! almost never a problem because all sample rates are aligned. now, that said, some products have proven problematic if they demand a different sample rate (like synths that are just so good they only will work with even # sample buffers and only 48K - or some only in 44.1K on rarer occasions where i do run 48K). but i have simply learned to avoid those products now...

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

The Behringer UMC22 is the only interface on earth that doesn't have an ASIO driver. All there other interfaces do.  And I see you are not even using the Asio4all that they recommend, but is not recommended by Cakewalk.  You are using the Windows codex.  Do yourself a favour and buy a proper interface that comes with ASIO

Edited by John Vere

9 minutes ago, John Vere said:

And I see you are not even using the Asio4all that they recommend, but is not recommended by Cakewalk.  You are using the Windows codex.  Do yourself a favour and buy a proper interface that comes with ASIO. 

I was fairly sure I was using an ASIO driver (see below). Where are you seeing I'm not?

Asio.png

13 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

an important step - decide which sample rate you want to work with - 44.1 or 48? (or some folks go 88.2 and 96). then make sure ALL of your Windows system settings, your ASIO, applications, etc settings are ALL using the same sample rate. this does a couple of nice things - one - all your apps now use the same sample rate so things won't mysterious be trying to flip around, and two - nevermind, there is no two.

so check your Windows audio settings - both playback and record. in my system (being a dinosaur) i have them set to 44.1 (and 24-bit / 32-bit (not that i use 32-bit)).

image.png.42b7c7b5032fc91ff91ced9a87e43236.png

image.png.2df1c6688591bf40db4485384062af35.png

then my ASIO for the IO is set to 44.1

image.png.97283eb336bd7baf4da8869384171279.png

then my CW is set for, yep, 44.1 and 24-bit, and in the audio settings, i have 24-bit, 24-bit, and 24-bit.

image.png.788f78e5818a2784582614162a89dfdd.png

image.png.c203511e0e83615703fcfdb59e210d77.png

and voila! almost never a problem because all sample rates are aligned. now, that said, some products have proven problematic if they demand a different sample rate (like synths that are just so good they only will work with even # sample buffers and only 48K - or some only in 44.1K on rarer occasions where i do run 48K). but i have simply learned to avoid those products now...

Thanks for this very helpful information. I'm a newbie to this kind of thing - and I appreciate your non-critical assistance (which is more than I can say for some replies I'm getting). 

However, the confusing thing (for me) is that the music library I'm contributing to (like many) requires 48000 / 24 wavs. Does it not matter if I record at 44.1/16 and export at 48000/24? Thanks again.

generally speaking - if you're doing sound library or video work - use 48K/24. while most modern same rate conversions can be fairly transparent, i'd go native just to avoid the extra work and any artifacts. 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

generally speaking - if you're doing sound library or video work - use 48K. while most modern same rate conversions can be fairly transparent, i'd go native just to avoid the extra work and any artifacts. 

Thanks again. I've made all the changes you suggested. 48/24 is now showing up in the control panel, and the sax recorded and played back at the correct pitch. Much appreciated. :)

48.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stephen Power said:

the Berhinger manual says it can sample at 44.1 and 48, 000. Although, there no switch on it, so I assume it's automatic?

Good question. Is there software for controlling the Behringer's settings?

3 hours ago, Stephen Power said:

I was fairly sure I was using an ASIO driver

That could be the Windows generic driver made for the RealTek sound chip.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 7:43 PM, 57Gregy said:

Good question. Is there software for controlling the Behringer's settings?

That could be the Windows generic driver made for the RealTek sound chip

I couldn't find any. But I've set it in Windows sound settings.

• Like 1

The UMC 22 and UMC 2 are the only 2 audio interfaces I found after researching over 60 2x2 audio interfaces that do not have ASIO divers. They use Asio4all which is not ASIO but WDM mode ( windows) wrapped so it can fool software into thinking it’s ASIO.
It was a work around in the old days before W10 and WASAPI driver modes. 

Of all the 60 interfaces available you have one that no matter what you try will have issues with Cakewalk. 
Theres been dozens of other threads on here and same complaints. 
Sell it to someone with a Mac which is what it was designed for. 

• Great Idea 1