cakewalk not opening .vst3 folders

eezye

encountering a bug with new vst3 installs where the vst3 file is located within a .vst3 folder. most plugins install only a vst3 file and that works fine but the .vst3 folder installs are tripping up cakewalk. these same plugins load just fine in other daws. cakewalkbug.JPG.5468da6220b06bad6f39181e30764786.JPG

I had this problem with IK product installs. Renaming folders and rescanning is the fix, at least until the next update.

Imho, sonar should ideally handle issues like this without crashing but Cakewalk seems to feel otherwise for reasons I'm too dim to understand.

11 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Remove the dot/extension from the directory name in Windows Explorer & rescan.

Right on, I dragged the vst out of the folder and that made them work

9 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

I had this problem with IK product installs. Renaming folders and rescanning is the fix, at least until the next update.

Imho, sonar should ideally handle issues like this without crashing but Cakewalk seems to feel otherwise for reasons I'm too dim to understand.

Yeah it would be a pain to have to go into your plugin folder after installs to fix this, especially when it's not a problem for every other program. A fix would be ideal

it's because not all developers have correctly updated to the new Steinberg VST3 spec so some apps work fine and a bunch do not. so follow the advice from Outrage to remove the .vst3 on the folder and rescan, and bug the plugin company to fix it. 

3 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

it's because not all developers have correctly updated to the new Steinberg VST3 spec so some apps work fine and a bunch do not. so follow the advice from Outrage to remove the .vst3 on the folder and rescan, and bug the plugin company to fix it. 

That's the guidance from Cakewalk on this issue, certainly, and that's what I've had to do whenever my products update. Interestingly, it's not been an issue with my Reaper projects. Do the update and somehow Reaper just keeps chugging along. 

• Like 2

yes, and some other products, like several audio editors, do not respond well to improper vst3 plugin development. and it's easy to spot 🙂 a bunch of the VST3 plugins with the new .vst3 folder extension work fine in CW, and a bunch don't.. then suddenly they work after an update from the vendor...  dunno. i do know bugging the vendor (repeatedly if needed) seems to solve it in many cases...

• Like 1