Cloud Storage Service

I've been using IDrive since January 2023.  I use it as an extra backup of mainly my music project files in the unlikely event that my disc drive backups will fail or if a catastrophe of any kind would happen.  I can replace a PC or even a house but my projects take hours of time that can never be replaced.

Anyway-IDrive worked perfectly all of 2023.  This year its been failing by frequent incomplete backups that I have to sometimes painstakingly coax to get them to the full folder content.  Their tech support are very nice people but are at a loss in helping me.  One thing they suggested is that my network modem should be able to be of consistent speed to handle this.  It occurred to me that I replaced the modem this year by Comcast's recommendation.  It is slower in other respects too and I'm beginning to think that the modem is the culprit.  Comcast is terrible especially in the tech support department.

I'm just wondering if anybody else here has similar issues with this kind of thing and can give me some insight.

Thanks

🙂John B

Of all the cloud storage services I despise iCloud the most. It has a mind of its own and I never get what I want. 
One Drive has turned out to work the best for me. I still only use the Free version. I don’t store audio files there just midi. 
I also have used the free version of Drop Box for a long  long time with out issues. I store all my backing track projects there. 

But iCloud is synced to my phone so all my pictures and files from my phone are there. I had to up the storage a few years ago when I ran out of room and for the life of me could not figure out how to clean it up and delete stuff.  It kept reappearing! I gave up and now I pay $2 a month and I have lots of room. But I hate the way it seems to take control. Typical Apple stuff I guess. 

I like the way I can type a document on my phone, or any of my computers and One Drive stores it and it always there on all my devices. 
If I open iCloud on my computer only some of my pictures are there. I gave up. I have to connect my phone with USB cable and upload them. And lots of be times that doesn’t work properly. It cuts out after so many pictures or movies. 

Edited by John Vere

I can't abide OneDrive - sync issues means it duplicates files on my hard drive which I don't want. I use Carbonite for backup. Small footprint, rock solid and 100 per cent reliable. Not the cheapest is the only downside, Backblaze is another option.

i use a 4TB SSD called "cloud" and except for my C:\ documents folder (OneDrive by default), all the other stuff is backed up there. i sync from my local drive to the cloud drive, then the cloud services sync to/from there. cost - an external USB drive (~$200)?

the benefits? i have a local backup of my stuff + the clouds. and my source materials are never at risk from the cloud services doing weird stuff.

• Great Idea 1