The Answer (membership only...)

Thought there might be a post somewhere here, but search didn't find it, so....

SINGAPORE; 13 JUNE - Cakewalk, a historic and pioneering name in digital audio workstations (DAWs), is excited to announce that Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar have exited public beta and are available worldwide exclusively through BandLab Membership. This marks a significant milestone for Cakewalk, offering its latest recording and song creation tools to a broader audience through BandLab's platform.

https://gearspace.com/board/new-product-alert/1430377-cakewalk-now-exclusively-available-through-bandlab-membership.html

and... The Question: How long will long time users be able to use Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Edited by jackson white
The Question++
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

People who can't keep their word aren't worth doing business with.  I think I'll start shopping around.

John B

EDIT-Actually, I'm rethinking that.  I'm kind of mixed feelings now.  I did the math and if they set a price for a perpetual license of say $500.00, $15.00 per month would get you to about 33 months or 3 months short of 3 years.  If it was a "rent to buy" type of thing where you would own it after 33 months I could live with that.  It would be a bit hard for me to put out a large amount of money right now anyway.  This would be easier on the budget.  Maybe I will hang on and see what (if anything) will happen in the future.  Probably in 3 years (when I'm 72) i'll be ready to call it quits with music making anyway, if not sooner.

🙂John B

Edited by Johnbee58

27 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

Don’t stop at 72. Keep going. 

I can't if I can't afford a DAW.  I was hoping I could buy the thing outright before my Medicare makes it impossible for me to afford anything else.   I'm hearing "big premium increases in the works for 2025!" and all other horror stories.  Inflation is making everything more expensive and I'm on a fixed income.  I'm getting by fairly comfortably now but you don't get raises when you're retired and if costs keep going up I won't be able to afford many luxuries.  I was thinking how difficult it would be to shell out several hundred $$$$$$ now anyway.  I just had to pay almost $2000.00 to fix my car's AC and dental issues (and expenses) are looming up on me.  It's not a good time for me right now and the outlook for the futures isn't much better.  I'm really kind of glad for the membership thing anyway.  $15.00 a month I can handle now.  $500.00 or higher would be more difficult.

Thanks for your thoughts though.  If nothing else I guess I could always use Reaper if necessary.

🙂

Reaper is very good although it can overwhelm the beginner. But if you already use Cakewalk the switch is pretty easy since you know what you are looking for. It took me two weeks to flip and learn to do 90% of what I needed and that rest just came over time. Then you can slowly slip into customization and go down that rabbit hole. Lol. Reaper works and works well. There is also a document that compares Cakewalk and Reaper processes and tool providing you a ton of “ah ha!” help.

Alas, I still really like Cakewalk/Sonar but things change and change is inevitable.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

None of this is surprising at all. I'll keep using CWB until that is no longer possible. Then I'll  go to the subscription-based SONAR since I'm disinclined to learn a new workflow. (Yep... too old, and maybe too lazy). SONAR's vector-based graphics offers no incentive to me anyway, and not much else seems to be on offer.

Waveform is free. Luna is Free. But they don't support Ara.  Ara is critical to my workflow. 

Cakewalk by Bandlab might keep working for a long time yet as well. 

I bought Mixcraft on sale for $150 Can and it  has Ara. I've been able to open my Cakewalk projects with no issues at all. 

V1.6.1 released June 4th fixed the Kontakt issue and a number of others. Give it a try, it worked for me.

I don't know about VSL, I don't have any of their products. I also uninstalled Luna, I've decided not to let it distract me any further 🙂.

2 hours ago, A Tolerable Quietude said:

Do you mean Mixcraft can just open Cakewalk .cwp files no problem?

Sorry. I first save them as midi file and export all the audio as stems. 
I then just drag and drop the midi file into Mixcraft and that creates the most important part of most of my projects.

I have to replace the synths which takes a few minutes and then I drag and drop the audio stems into the project. It is sounding pretty close in only about 10- 15 minutes. 
All that is left is adding my effects. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Vere said:

Waveform is free. Luna is Free. But they don't support Ara.  Ara is critical to my workflow. 

Cakewalk by Bandlab might keep working for a long time yet as well. 

I bought Mixcraft on sale for $150 Can and it  has Ara. I've been able to open my Cakewalk projects with no issues at all. 

Waveform 13 Free does support ARA. Used it last night.

• Like 1