Which Is The Most Popular Interface Brand Overall?

cclarry

I wonder that Behringer doesn't have a better place! I have a UMC404HD now 7 years and I am impressed by its hardware and driver quality! It is not my top interface (have also a Focusrite 18i20 gen2 and a Presonus Studio), I use it today just for my everything laptop. But its performance is unbeatable compared to the 2 other high end ones and I've never had any issues with the Behringers. Whereas I've had several issues with the Focusrite drivers and Presonus is never there with its performance. But YMMV.

• Like 5

Just curious, where was this poll taken?

They should do another poll:

“Which companies update their software drivers the best?”

Pretty sure Avid would be somewhere there at the bottom and RME somewhere at the top. It’s amazing how some HW have such short lifespans because of the lack of updated software drivers. For someone investing in their gear for the long-term, rock-solid and updated software drivers are what’s most important when I’m purchasing an audio interface(or any other HW device that requires SW, for that matter).

I’ve had multiple Avid/Digidesign MBOX units, multiple M-Audio units including the ProjectMix I/O and NI Kore which all are essentially doorstoppers now(unless I use an old OS). I get it… it’s a business. But I still would like to use my gear. I appreciate and gravitate to those companies that have maintained their drivers throughout the years.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Lionel said:

Pretty sure Avid would be somewhere there at the bottom and RME somewhere at the top.

I use an old RME Babyface, I've probably had it 12 or 13 years, and RME still keeps the drivers current.   Now that's some customer care.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Lionel said:

Pretty sure Avid would be somewhere there at the bottom and RME somewhere at the top. It’s amazing how some HW have such short lifespans because of the lack of updated software drivers. For someone investing in their gear for the long-term, rock-solid and updated software drivers are what’s most important when I’m purchasing an audio interface(or any other HW device that requires SW, for that matter).

I’ve had multiple Avid/Digidesign MBOX units, multiple M-Audio units including the ProjectMix I/O and NI Kore which all are essentially doorstoppers now(unless I use an old OS). I get it… it’s a business. But I still would like to use my gear. I appreciate and gravitate to those companies that have maintained their drivers throughout the years.

This is what I always say as well. Btw, steinberg/yamaha is pretty good with updates as well. Motu at least used to be good  it but haven’t had one for a while. The more gimmicks, the more likely it is to break after os updates etc 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

I'm gonna guess the most common realtek 😉

There is a trend I see on Image Line forums where people believe an audio interface is not necessary.  They'll spend 2K on system components and try to use Awful4all or the variants of it my DAW developers.

Believe or not there was a user who bought  BBCSO and tried using Awful4All and getting glitches. 

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, fret_man said:

So it's basically a poll of Pro Tools users, or at least heavily skewed in that direction. Production Expert casts its net wider these days, but it started as a Pro Tools blog. After AVID left PT's lunch out on the counter long enough for all the other companies to start gobbling it up, they branched out.

A planet where Antelope is more widely used than PreSonus is one that I don't recognize. And UAD? Great stuff, but it's too pricey to be that mainstream.

Behringer, Steinberg and Tascam being so rare is also not realistic. This is a poll that reflects the hardware choices of people who built Pro Tools studios over a dozen years ago. Interesting, but it doesn't reflect the entire market.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lionel said:

Pretty sure Avid would be somewhere there at the bottom and RME somewhere at the top.

It's a mostly useless survey. A couple of these companies don't have entry level interfaces, which make up the majority of marketshare for companies like Focusrite, UAD, Audient, etc. Although it is a credit to RME that they have large representation despite having no entry level hardware, zero marketing toward hobbyists and no purchase incentives (eg. plugin bundles, subscription discounts, etc.) unlike their entry level competitors.

• Like 2

I suspect that in a poll that reflected the entire current market, which now includes a TON of hobbyists, video makers, podcasters, VO pros and so on, Focusrite would be #1, followed closely by Behringer, Presonus, etc.

I mean, how often do you run across a YT talking head who doesn't use a Scarlett 2i2?😄 Inevitably paired with a SM7. The outliers use RE-20's.

AVID would be way down on the list, UAD might be somewhere in the midfield with MOTU, if that.

Interesting experiment would be to create a similar poll on this forum.

The DAW scene has changed a great deal in the past decade. There's been an explosion in the hobbyist segment. Creating music using personal computers is so much more popular than it was.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 3

Where's our Cakewalk/Deals forum (AKA Real World/Po'Man's) audio interface POLL?

I have used and currently use MOTU but have had Lynx, Roland, Steinberg, Behringer, Focusrite, and IKM devices. 

Edited by Fwrend
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1