Focusrite 18i20 Audio Interface set up with Audient SP8 Expander

jesse g

Hey All,

I like the Audient SP expander, however there are very few videos on YouTube and they don't go in depth with the setup, only the Evo 16 Audio Interface setup with the Evo SP8 (Boring)

I use a Focusrite Scarlett (3rd Edition) Audio Interface and I just purchased an Audient SP8 AD/DA  expander.

There are a few videos available on the web which go into details on how to use the EVO SP8 with another Audio Interface besides the EVO 16.

First you will need 2 Toslink Cables Found ~~> Here.   **You do not need a BNC Cable for the Word Clock

• With the Focusrite Scarlett, open up Focusrite Control and click the Gear Symbol underneath the word "DEVICE" next, set the following: Parameters
  • Clock Source = Internal
  • Sample Rate  = 44.1 KHz or 48KHz
  • Digital I/O mode = S/PDIF Optical

ON the EVO SP8

• Clock Source  = Digital
  • Sample Rate  = 44.1 KHz or 48KHz (Whatever is selected on the Focusrite)
  • Word Clock Termination = On
  • Output Source = Digital

Save the Focus Control snapshot on the computer in a folder  and then turn off the EVO SP8 and the Focusrite 18i20. Turn both units back on and they both should show as synced.   Focusrite 18i20 will show a green lock in the display windows and when you go to status in the EVO you will see a green - Status =  Digi In 1 ADAT * (Green light)  | Digi In 2 ADAT  = no green light, | **Word Clock = No green light.

Back on the Focusrite 18i20

• Click the monitor outs 1-2 and then hit the + symbols to the right to enable  playback Channels I only enable 1/2 to hear over all playback
  • For Software (DAW) Playback, hit the + symbol to the left and enable CH 1-2
  • For Line Output 3-4, Select Playback 3-4
  • For Line Output 5-6, Select Playback 5-6
  • For Line Output 7-8, Select Playback 7-8
  •  Line output 9-10, select Playback 9-10 (The 18i20 has an out 9/10 so I route audio out these to a headphone amp)
  • Skip S/PDIF 11-12 unless you use them or send hem to playback 11-12  Good for using SPDIF cable for Loopback
  • ADAT Outputs 1.1-1.2, Select Playback 13-14
  • ADAT Outputs 1.3-1.4, Select Playback 15-16
  • ADAT Outputs 1.5-1.6, Select Playback 17-18
  • ADAT Outputs 1.7-1.8, Select Playback 19-20

Save snapshot on the Focus control in case you mess up your setup.

All Done.  On the EVO, what's  in INPUT 3/4 must come OUT of 3/4. So if mono compressor is in INPUT 5 must come the Mono Compressor must come out OUT OF 5 and so on...  I hope this helps.

I use Studio One for most Mixing and this works great to expand my hardware processors.

Audient EVO SP8

960x0.webp.d32492c5e760a95318cbe3124a55758e.webp

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the detailed explanation, been looking for a guide to connect other interfaces than Audient's to the Evo SP8. Your videos were very helpful, I have some follow up questions though if you don't mind answering them. I'll be using a Focusrite Clarett+ 4Pre as my main interface and expanding it with the Audient Evo SP8. I'll only be outputting audio into my DAW (Logic) and to monitors, so no outboard gear.

I'm a bit of a beginner at this, so just to make sure I understand correctly how I should set everything up:

• One Toslink cable is connected from ADAT OUT on the Audient Evo SP8, to OPTICAL IN on the Clarett+ 4Pre
  • In Focusrite Control, Clarett+ 4Pre is set to Clock Source = Internal ; Sample Rate = 48 kHz ; Digital I/O = S/PDIF RCA
  • Audient Evo SP8 is set to Clock Source = Digital ; Sample Rate = 48 kHz ; Word Clock Termination = On; Output Source = Digital

Restart both devices, and then there should be 16 audio inputs available in my DAW, right?

1 hour ago, Jonathan Bonn said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, been looking for a guide to connect other interfaces than Audient's to the Evo SP8. Your videos were very helpful, I have some follow up questions though if you don't mind answering them. I'll be using a Focusrite Clarett+ 4Pre as my main interface and expanding it with the Audient Evo SP8. I'll only be outputting audio into my DAW (Logic) and to monitors, so no outboard gear.

I'm a bit of a beginner at this, so just to make sure I understand correctly how I should set everything up:

• One Toslink cable is connected from ADAT OUT on the Audient Evo SP8, to OPTICAL IN on the Clarett+ 4Pre
  • In Focusrite Control, Clarett+ 4Pre is set to Clock Source = Internal ; Sample Rate = 48 kHz ; Digital I/O = S/PDIF RCA
  • Audient Evo SP8 is set to Clock Source = Digital ; Sample Rate = 48 kHz ; Word Clock Termination = On; Output Source = Digital

Restart both devices, and then there should be 16 audio inputs available in my DAW, right?

You've got the clock source the wrong way around.

If the Evo SP8 is the ADAT OUT going into the Focusrite ADAT IN, then the Focusrite has to have its clock source set to ADAT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

You've got the clock source the wrong way around.

If the Evo SP8 is the ADAT OUT going into the Focusrite ADAT IN, then the Focusrite has to have its clock source set to ADAT.

Right, got it! And would that make the Evo SP8 the master clock? Clarett+ 4 Pre only has one ADAT connection labelled "OPTICAL IN", and no Word Clock connector, so would that mean it's not possible to use the Clarett as the master clock?

Sorry Jonathan,

I am away on vacation, so I don't visit my laptop very oftern in the hotel.   It sounds like you received great advice, and what I like most about this forum is that you don't have to wait for the OP to return from zip lining to receive a great answer.  👍