Three reasons I'm waiting besides hoping for a perpetual license

I did the three-day trial of Sonar and learned the following:

1.  A lot of my non-scalable VSTs are now so tiny in nuSonar that I can't use them.  For example, Native Instruments synths except for Kontakt.

2.  Due to eyesight issues, I need a theme where PRV has white keys / black keys and a white grid with dark gridlines.  I could accomplish this with Theme Editor in CBB, but as of now there doesn't seem to be a theme editor for nuSonar.

3.  Small thing but I've found it very helpful in CBB lately:  in CBB, if you hover over the bar graph in the Performance Module, you get real time info on Audio Processing, Engine Load, and number of Late Buffers.  This feature is missing in nuSonar.

The only real advantage I found in nuSonar was the crispness of the text and graphics.  Has anyone found anything else that is a super useful improvement?

Edited by Steve Moddelmog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Moddelmog said:

I did the three-day trial of Sonar and learned the following:

1.  A lot of my non-scalable VSTs are now so tiny in nuSonar that I can't use them.  For example, Native Instruments synths except for Kontakt.

2.  Due to eyesight issues, I need a theme where PRV has white keys / black keys and a white grid with dark gridlines.  I could accomplish this with Theme Editor in CBB, but as of now there doesn't seem to be a theme editor for nuSonar.

3.  Small thing but I've found it very helpful in CBB lately:  in CBB, if you hover over the bar graph in the Performance Module, you get real time info on Audio Processing, Engine Load, and number of Late Buffers.  This feature is missing in nuSonar.

The only real advantage I found in nuSonar was the crispness of the text and graphics.  Has anyone found anything else that is a super useful improvement?

I've got similar issues with vision problems.  The stark black on black they're going for is hard on my eyes.  I have depth perception issues, so editing clips was hell on the new sonar for me.  I need clips that have light backgrounds with dark foregrounds, the rest I can work around, but that's a non-starter for me.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Steve Moddelmog said:

- Disable 'Plugin DPI Awareness' in Plugin Properties for affected plugins.

2.  Due to eyesight issues, I need a theme where PRV has white keys / black keys and a white grid with dark gridlines.

- I have deteriorating eyesight as well but I get along pretty well with the PRV in the Mercury Classic scheme. The keys are black and white - are you referring to the shading of the sharps the runs across the notes area?  I could wish for darker/bolder gridlines, but they're usable for my purposes.

It's not missing from Sonar but the hotspot has narrowed a bit; you have to hover over the lower half.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, David Baay said:

- Disable 'Plugin DPI Awareness' in Plugin Properties for affected plugins.

- I have deteriorating eyesight as well but I get along pretty well with the PRV in the Mercury Classic scheme. The keys are black and white - are you referring to the shading of the sharps the runs across the notes area?  I could wish for darker/bolder gridlines, but they're usable for my purposes.

It's not missing form Sonar but the hotspot has narrowed a bit; you have to hover over the lower half.

1.  I disabled "Plugin DPI Awareness' for FM8, rescanned everything, and it was still tiny.  I tried closing and re-opening Sonar and the "Plugin DPI Awareness" bon for FM8 was checked again.

2.  Yes, in Mercury Classic I'm referring to the shading of the sharps.  I'm using Tungsten Classic and it's much worse since both all the grid is very dar.

3.  I cannot put the cursor anywhere in the performance module that brings up the real-time information. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Moddelmog said:

1.  I disabled "Plugin DPI Awareness' for FM8, rescanned everything, and it was still tiny.  I tried closing and re-opening Sonar and the "Plugin DPI Awareness" bon for FM8 was checked again.

I tried it with FM8, specifically, and it worked as expected here; the UI becomes the same size as in CbB. Possibly it's a limitation of demo mode that you can't change it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I tried it with FM8, specifically, and it worked as expected here; the UI becomes the same size as in CbB. Possibly it's a limitation of demo mode that you can't change it.

The setting "stuck" the last time I unchecked it, but it (FM8) is still tiny in Sonar/

6 minutes ago, David Baay said:

What monitor resolution and Windows scaling?

Stranger still - I unchecked the box for AAS Tassman 4.1 and it fixed the scaling for it.  But it doesn't work for any Native Instruments synths.  I've tried Reaktor, Massive X, etc.

1 minute ago, Steve Moddelmog said:

250%

Yowza! Frankly the way all this scaling stuff works under the hood is a bit of a mystery to me, but I suspect that high scaling factor has something to do with it. I'm at only 160%. But I'd be surprised if the UI doesn't change size at all when you disable DPI Awareness...?

1 minute ago, David Baay said:

Yowza! Frankly the way all this scaling stuff works under the hood is a bit of a mystery to me, but I suspect that high scaling factor has something to do with it. I'm at only 160%. But I'd be surprised if the UI doesn't change size at all when you disable DPI Awareness...?

Nope, they are all stubbornly the exact same tiny size with or without the box checked.

1 minute ago, Steve Moddelmog said:

Stranger still - I unchecked the box for AAS Tassman 4.1 and it fixed the scaling for it.  But it doesn't work for any Native Instruments synths.  I've tried Reaktor, Massive X, etc.

I've found it doesn't work for everything, but it is odd that I'm getting a different result with the same plugin unless maybe it's a version issue. Are you loading the VST3?

57 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I've found it doesn't work for everything, but it is odd that I'm getting a different result with the same plugin unless maybe it's a version issue. Are you loading the VST3?

Yes, the VST3. Version 1.4.6

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Well, I am an idiot.  I unchecked the DPI box on the VST2 instead of the VST3.  All is good.  Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Steve Moddelmog said:

Well, I am an idiot.  I unchecked the DPI box on the VST2 instead of the VST3.  All is good.  Thanks.

Yipes - I'm going to have to do that for all my Arturia VSTs - something like 40 synths.

• Sad 1

Yipes - I'm going to have to do that for all my Arturia VSTs - something like 40 synths.

Well, the way you have to handle it in Arturia is to use each synth's scaling options.  Still a pain...