Humming on Audio Output only when using Cakewalk

freddie_tane

Question

CWbB (2024.02 , 29.09.0.98 )

The Mixer and Monitor are fully quiet when Cakewalk is not running.

Other audio programs are fully quiet when open (tested Audacity, Media Player), tested by pausing them during playback, then mixer/monitor faders up fully Quiet.

But when Cakewalk is Opened, and a project is loaded, there is a synth-like Humming on Main Stereo Audio Output of around 330hz.

Pressing the "Audio Engine" button stops the hum. Then re-engaging it, the hum returns.

Adjusting the Main Stereo fader changes the level of the hum.

Muting all tracks then un-muting a single track reveals a lower-level of hum, un-muting more tracks and the hum level increases, so it is "coming from" all tracks.

(check out the attached audio file HUM.m4a - Caution - it's pretty loud !! )

I have tested with a different computer, same symptom. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
I replaced the mixer's USB cable, re-installed Cakewalk, MIDI, and all Control Surfaces drivers.

Has anyone else ever had this symptom?

13 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Troubleshooting 101:

Cold reboot computer

Open DAW & create new empty project with only Master bus to HW output, fader @ unity.

Add one audio track (empty), bus to Master, fader @ unity.

Input echo & record arm track. 

What results?

Edited by OutrageProductions

thanks for the suggestions:

for Outrage, In doing that suggest test,  I found that there is No Hum.

for Promidi, the input echo are all disabled (I almost never use input echo on audio tracks). the hum does go away if either the master bus is muted, or if ALL individual tracks are muted. Each track seems to have a small amount of hum.

The audio interface is Behringer x32 Compact (USB, 32 channel card)

I found that some Cakewalk projects have the hum, other projects (including newly created, like the Outrage test) do not.

I Saved tracks as template in a project that has hum, then, in a newly created project, Insert from Track Template, and it Does Hum.

My next test scenario is start with a newly created project (as-per Outrage, just a master bus and 1 individual track) and continue adding tracks manually - is there some number of tracks at which the hum begins? Then begin adding plugin fx/comp/lim , do some minutes of recording ... check for hum ...

3 minutes ago, freddie_tane said:

Each track seems to have a small amount of hum.

Almost certainly due to FX in the bin or in Prochannel. Does it go away when you enable FX Bypass in the Mix Module?

If not 3rd-party FX it might be due to having Console Emulator Drive/Trim controls maxed or something like that. At one time, the PC Tape Emulator was found to be producing low level noise with no input to it, but that was fixed.

for David Baay,  FX Bypass does not stop the hum (I don't use ProChannel)

I removed ALL plugins and set ALL Gain to unity, still have a Hum.

No synths in the project.

Testing continues ...

Posted (edited)

I see about -82dB at the output. FX Bypass kills it. I looked at a few tracks and found instances of Sonitus Compressor and Reverb. I didn't try removing them, and I didn't check all tracks, but that's where I'd start.

EDIT - Looking further, I found Prochannel active on all tracks and buses with Tube Saturator enabled. I think that's the source. You can kill them all with Quick Grouping.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

You, David Baay, are amazing to find that !!

That Is Indeed the Source of the Hum !! I have no idea how it got turned on, but now that I've turned off both the ProChannel (and Tube Saturator) The Hum Is Gone !! Even just turning the ProChannel "on" stops the hum. Go figure !! But I'll be turning it off and re-saving my templates with it "off".

I can't thank you enough for your time and identifying the solution ... but I can send you this emoji 🦸

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Have to raise it  again, but are there any other areas to check or turn off? 

Although very soft, and only heard when my monitors are cranked well above my max listening level, it's the same hum frequency tone !!

Edited by freddie_tane

Put a spectrum analyzer on your master bus to determine the frequency. If it’s 60 cycles ( North America) 
It could be USB related. 
I had trouble like this a long time ago and was directed to try a better quality USB cable and that solved my issue.
There are USB cables that have a ferrite choke on them. 
It could also be  a USB ground loop issue. 

18 hours ago, freddie_tane said:

are there any other areas to check or turn off?

Looks like it might be more than just Tube Saturator. Prochannel EQs and Compressors may also be contributing. I would just disable all the Prochannels completely if you're not using them. And/or delete all modules except EQ and turn those off.  The easiest way is to create a preset that only includes the disabled EQ (which can't be removed), and load that into all the tracks and buses.

There seems to be something going on with Prochannels in this project in particular as just enabling those modules with no input signal to process will not normally generate any output.