FAQ changed at Cakewalk site. What does it mean? Can someone from team CLARIFY??

A year in waiting for news on non-subscription Sonar passed,  without any hard Yes/No evidence except for some, almost invisible sprinkles offered by Noel. Which is sad. However.... I see that the FAQ changed on Cakewalk.com. The wording of discontinuation of Cakewalk by Bandlab are no longer there. What does that mean? Do we get to keep Cakewalk by Bandlab? Will it require re-authorization every few months? Is it on a chopping block (as original FAQ hinted) after Sonar release  (whatever that might mean)?   Perhaps bakers can explain what is exactly is meant by:

"Is Cakewalk Sonar replacing Cakewalk by BandLab?

Cakewalk Sonar builds and improves on Cakewalk by BandLab, offering advanced technology, effortless workflow, and an interface that amplifies inspiration. However, Cakewalk by BandLab will continue to be free without a subscription requirement. While the software will continue receiving essential maintenance updates, no new feature development is planned as we prioritize advancements in Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar."

Thank you.

"Bandlab has something to tell us, they will"

Terry, you probably didn't read or understand my post.  FAQ changed recently and I am asking someone from the team to clarify what is the meaning of new wording.

I am not asking users for opinions on this, as your reply suggested.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Misha,

I think my response is accurate based on your observation of the change on the website albeit rather generic. But based on your comment, the question would be best directed to Bandlab directly and not through the developers here. But hey, maybe one will respond.

As for an opinion, I seriously doubt they will let CbB live on forever but I guess they could just "forget" to shut it off and let us continue to use it. Who knows which then loops back to my reply to you.

Edited by Terry Kelley

Posted (edited)

The "COMING SOON" statements are gone!  The new Cakewalk page appears to be live.  We're there, people!

Edited by JonD

Terry,

reason for asking here is because it's Cakewalk  related.  Also, I am certain that I am not alone who seek  coherent response from someone who knows what that change in FAQ wording means.

Sure, nothing is forever.  But time is precious and playing on feelings is not cool. If they decided to take certain path, it's absolutely their business. I just don't know if I should continue writing tunes at my spare time, or should  start wrapping up projects that already started and get acquainted  to another DAW... which will grab a lot of hours I could spend doing other things. They had whole year to at least come up with answers.

Anyone know of a way to still install the old CbB? My distant band mates and I have all had nothing but problems with the new Cakewalk. We can no longer import tracks from BandLab. Everything used to work just fine. 

😢 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Misha said:

Sure, nothing is forever.  But time is precious and playing on feelings is not cool. If they decided to take certain path, it's absolutely their business. I just don't know if I should continue writing tunes at my spare time, or should  start wrapping up projects that already started and get acquainted  to another DAW... which will grab a lot of hours I could spend doing other things. They had whole year to at least come up with answers.

always a good idea to future-proof via your archiving process

1. convert all MIDI tracks to audio
  2.  consider exporting tracks as WAV files separate from the project - the export dialog makes this fairly easy.
         a. consider exporting clean as well as effects-printed tracks - more storage but more future options
  3. then make a new ARCHVE (copy files with project set on) of the project into a new (in my case sub) folder and copy in notes, lyrics, etc, so it's all fresh and current with your latest mix

i do this on each project, regardless of whether i think i'll be using CbB, or Sonar, or PT etc sometime down the road (if i live that long). i wish i had adopted this 20 years ago (instead of 10) but c'est la vie

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Terry Kelley said:

image.thumb.png.054c6c88dde9b1b0d2862b50e2974e68.png

Yikes. Not sure why they missed that one (on the  Cakewalk by Bandlab webpage)... They've removed the "coming soon" sections on the new, dedicated  Cakewalk webpages for New Sonar and Next (Those are the only ones I've been watching).

2 minutes ago, JonD said:

Yikes. Not sure why they missed that one (on the  Cakewalk by Bandlab webpage)... They've removed the "coming soon" sections on the new, dedicated  Cakewalk webpages for New Sonar and Next (Those are the only ones I've been watching).

possibly because that's the old Cakewalk by Bandlab product and people ending up there from a search engine or other links might not be aware of the new Sonar and Next products...