Assigning track to the proper program on the midi keyboard

thomas myers

I have an Alesis QS7 going to a Midisport 4x4 via midi cables and then to my laptop. Having trouble assigning different programs to separate tracks in Cakewalk on both recording and playback. I am using the programs in my QS7. Am I not assigning the right information in Cakewalk or not assigning the correct information on the keyboard or both?  Please help.

First of all, ensure your MIDI output is defined as the Alesis QS7.

To do this,

1. Open the Preferences dialog and go to the Instruments page under the MIDI section. 
2. Click the Define button
3. Click the Import button, and open "C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Instruments\Alesis.ins"
4. Select the Alesis QS7 from the dialog.
5. Select channels 1-16 of the MIDI output device you have connected to your Alesis QS7 (click on Ch1, then while holding SHIFT click on Ch16).
6. Select the Alesis QS7 from the list.
7. Click Apply, then close.

You can now choose QS7 patches using the Patch Browser button in the inspector.

You should also be aware that Cakewalk has a MIDI Channel Override setting.  When set to "MIDI Channel = None", then any recorded MIDI data will be transmitted using exactly the same MIDI channel it was recorded on.  As your keyboard is most likely transmitting on only one channel (e.g. channel 1), this isn't always desirable - so you can force the MIDI channel to the required one using the dropdown below:

image.png.ba6eff159c1161b8880aaa315e9fad55.png

This will ensure that both the program change message and the MIDI events themselves will be sent on the required MIDI channel for that part.