Can program change messages be passes to VST?

I am using Opus VST for EastWest libraries and I when I run Opus as standalone app, I can send program/patch changes to activate triggers for selecting instruments/articulations, but it seems they are not passed through when I run Opus as VST in a track. Does anyone know details about using program change messages and VSTs in Cakewalk?

It's a little cumbersome, but you can insert a bank or patch change into a MIDI clip in Cakewalk by manually adding that type of event to the event list.  Here's the documentation.  Your VST might have a weird way of implementing bank and program changes though, so you will probably need to dig into the VST's documentation to see what it expects.

If you're just talking about articulations within a single instrument, then what you probably want is an articulation map.

When you say "I can send program/patch changes to activate triggers" with the standalone app, do you mean you are sending them from a piece of hardware, like a keyboard that has pads or buttons for patch changes?  If this is the case, and your VST responds to those messages when you play them from your hardware, you just need to make sure you're not filtering those messages out when you record your midi clip.  Here's how to see what midi your are filtering.